Vermont
Options

Hartness House AKA Carriage House AND February Weather in VT

Has anyone visited the Hartness House? Any thoughts?

Can anyone offer advice for someone traveling to VT just for the weekend in terms of  necesary items to buy (snow boots etc) and other things we can get away with not having. Neither of us own anything for New England winter weather.

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hartness House AKA Carriage House AND February Weather in VT

• Options
    edited December 2011

Make sure you spend the extra money or good winter coats!  You'll be happy that you purchased something of better quality.  I'd also reccommend waterproof gloves or mittens.  Not as cute as some of the knit choices, but definitely more functional. 

Unless you are going snowshowing or skiing you can forget the snow pants and maybe even the boots too. It really depends, others may disagee but I think that a solid pair of sneakers will work walking from place to place.  They plow and shovel pretty quickly up here.  

• Options
    GiddyBride23GiddyBride23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!!! I almost missed your comment because I haven't checked back to the thread in a while.

I know the major airports function w/o major delays in the winter, but is this the same for smaller airports? We are taking a commuter plain from Boston. Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jenjenctjenjenct member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I visited and it wasnt really my style. It was very Victorian and old, but if that is what you are looking for, it might be for you. I'm only having about 30 people, which is too big for thier elopement package and too small for the venue otherwise in my opinion, but if you are eloping it would be different. Feel free to send me questions.

I live in CT and the difference in the way roads are plowed here is amazing compared to the DC area and ATL I'm assuming too. If you had to, you could drive from Boston, it should only be a 2-3 hour drive I think.
    I'm also getting married in VT end of Jan so I'm a bit worried about the snow at the major airports, but I'm willing to take the chance to do a winter wedding. I'm getting married at the Inn at Weathersfield in Perkinsville, not far from the Hartness House.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you flying into Rutland???

If you are. . . I don't want you to be surprized so I'm going to tell you the truth.

I used to work in Boston last winter and flew home into Rutland every other weekend.  The plane literally seats like 9 people. One of the seats is next to the guy flying the plane. They ask you your weight and seat you accordingly so they can balance the plane. You walk out onto the runway and have probably seen vans larger than the plane you are about to get into.    It is loud, cold, small and uncomfortable. 

That being said-  the guys flying the planes are awesome. Cape Air (which partners with Jet Blue) does an amazing job.  They will not fly if it is unsafe.  If there is a delay it will be because it's unsafe to fly (winds/ice/blizzard). Rutland has three commerical flights in each day- and three out.  A delay would not occur if it isn't storming.  They clean off the runway and go.  They warn you up front if it will be bumpy.  Don't be scared!  Throw in an ipod and zone out.  You fly in over the mountains and it's beautiful. Just be prepared. 

Good Luck!
  • Options
    GiddyBride23GiddyBride23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't checked back on my post in a while so my apologies for replying to late. We originally wanted to fly into Rutland or Lebanon but could not find a great (enough) deal so we are braving it and flying into Conn and will drive up. Wish us luck :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards