Utah

Help!! I just moved to Utah from Texas

Okay ladies, I need a lot of help. I just moved here from Texas and now Im trying to plan the wedding. I have no clue where to start. We are going to have a small family wedding here in Utah. I was thinking maybe bed and breakfast. I have no clue what the weather will be like here. We were thinking of having the wedding in March of 2012. If yall have any advice please please help me!

Re: Help!! I just moved to Utah from Texas

• edited December 2011
    In March, expect the weather to be in the low- to mid-50s, with possible rain, snow, wind, or all of the above.  On the plus side, you should be able to score some deals for booking in the off-season.

You didn't specify what part of Utah you were interested in, so I tried to keep it in the SLC area.  Some of the B&Bs in the area that host events:

Johnson Mill in Midway
    Blue Boar Inn in Midway
    Armstrong Mansion in SLC
    Ellerbeck Mansion in SLC

Another option may be to have it at a winter resort, although there will definitely be snow at that time of year and thus the price may be higher.

If you have more questions, ask away!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to Utah!  I am a Utah transplant as well, going on 12 years in this great state.

Where are you located?

UtahBrideBlog.com has some great ideas.  I'm currently going through all the "Features Weddings" to look for photographers.  All the venues, photographers, etc are mentioned in each Featured Wedding.  I'm seeing alot of repeat vendors.

March can be a whole mess of weather from 80 degress (rare) to snowing and raining and yucky.  It seems to be different every year.  There is still plenty of skiing to be had up in the mountains in March.
  • edited December 2011
    One of the most useful resources I found were the local bridal magazines.  I found my venue and my photographer by looking through them.

There are several different magazines.  You can usually pick up one or more for free at a bridal show or at some of the venues, or you can peruse and/or buy them at Barnes & Noble.

Utah Bride & Groom and Utah Valley Bride were especially useful for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank yall so much. We live in Spanish Fork and have been looking around the SLC area. I am hoping for snow so maybe March will be a good time. Im sure I will have a lot more qestions along the way!
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    March you will probably have snow, the resorts are beautiful, as are the down town mansions.  What kind of wedding are you doing?  Temple?  Religious?  In door? 
  • edited December 2011
    It is going to be in door. We will have the wedding and the reception at the same venue. Also its going to be small. Most of our family live back in Texas or in Arizona so I know not everyone is going to be able to make it out here.
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wolf creek in eden is beautiful.  There are several down town mansions that are great, especially if people are flying in, they are close to hotels.  Grand amarica is also a good hotel that does weddings. 
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked over by Wolf Creek as well!

Do you have links to these downtown mansions?
  • edited December 2011
    Hi fellow Texan!  Welcome to Utah!  What part of Texas are you from?

My hubby is a meteorologist and I know that there is this app through the Nat'l Climatic Data Center where you can put in a city or zip code and a date and it will give you the temps for the last several yrs.  Since you are marrying in March, the southerners will be shocked when they find snow here...lol

We went down to visit this March and were in shorts and flip flops and had to put the coats on before we hit the state line.

I'll ask hubby for the link and post it asap for you.  If you haven't bought your dress yet, don't miss out on the DASH FOR THE DRESS coming up Saturday, July 16th at Heritage Gardens ~ 9am.  There are Vera Wangs, Melissa Sweet, Anne Barge and several other gorgeous couture gowns for a fraction of their original cost.  Even if you aren't shopping.....come meet a fellow TEXAN! :)

• edited December 2011
    We are from College Station, TX. I will have to look up more information on the dash for the dress. It sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to get a few friends together and go! If you could send me that link that would be great. Ive been trying to find a website like that but havent been very lucky.
  • edited December 2011
    Look at Memorial House at Memory Grove in SLC or sort of near you the Springville Art Museum if they will let you book there!
  • edited December 2011
    I love the Armstrong Mansion - http://armstrongmansion.com/ - I don't think their website is super great, but the mansion is really beautiful.

McCune Mansion is great too - http://mccunemansion.com/

Good luck!
  • I'm new to "The Knot" but know many people and places with great deals :) i know it's 2 months prior to your wedding but if you need anything let me know?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards