Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

growing own flowers

My parents and I will be growing some of the flowers for my step daughters wedding.  We have established hydrangea bushes and plan to grow some annuals from seed for some cutflowers.  I know we cannot not rely on 100% success and I am investigating backup options.  We are experiended gardeners. Any advice?

Re: growing own flowers

• As long as you have back up options, I think you're fine. I know in my area we can't count on the time that flowers typically bloom anymore - I already have daffodils popping up and the tulips are starting to come up as well. I would suggest planting a variety of flowers that will come up at different times (within the season of your step-daughter's wedding) just in case something doesn't come up when expected. I would also suggest simplier bouquets unless someone is a florist too.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_growing-own-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:5f5e584b-9175-44a7-9f1f-3448a5aa4618Post:e5b4d5b9-db35-4bad-a6bd-4e139b81b0ce">Re: growing own flowers</a>:
    [QUOTE]As long as you have back up options, I think you're fine. I know in my area we can't count on the time that flowers typically bloom anymore - I already have daffodils popping up and the tulips are starting to come up as well. I would suggest planting a variety of flowers that will come up at different times (within the season of your step-daughter's wedding) just in case something doesn't come up when expected. I would also suggest simplier bouquets unless someone is a florist too.
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]

Agree
  • What season is the wedding? Knock out rose bushes flower abundantly when young. When is the wedding?
  • Make sure you reserve enough time to properly pick and clean all the flowers.  Have a good plan as to where you will store all the flowers prior to the wedding.  My son stored many in their home refrigerator, and some froze overnight simply based on which shelf they were placed.

I am not a gardener, but my daughter used hydrangeas in her bouquets.  They looked lovely for the first few hours, but do not have the "longevity" of other flowers.  Keep this in mind when you choose when to begin picking the flowers.

My niece also grew her own sunflowers for her wedding last fall.  It was definitely a labor of love.  They looked great, but she did have some trouble making up smaller bouquets because of the lack of uniformity in size.
  • We're using dahlias from my future father in law's garden, but he grows them competitively and usually plants around 600+ tubers each year. I am hiring a florist to go to his house the day before to cut the flowers, arrange the centerpieces and make our bouquets. Luckily dahlias flower from late August to first frost, so I should be safe September 20th.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had asked my florist about hydranga because I had some florist tell me they aren't good because they will wilt soon. My husband who drives limo on weekends even said he saw some bouquests with hydranga & they were sad looking by reception. The florist I went with said that white and green hydranga last the longest for bouquets. The pink, blues and purples will wilt quickly. Roses & daiseys especially gerber seem to be the most popular for lasting through the day. 

Hope that helps
  • In regards to hydragenas, I guess one thing you can do is water tubes with plant food in them.  Another thing you can do is have a vase with plant food and lukewarm water at the reception so any bouquet can go into it for a refresh.  We're having hydragenas as one of our flowers and I do fully expect by the end of the night that they are flat and wilted. It is my fiance's favorite flower, however.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards