Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Key West HM

We are thinking about going to Key West for our HM.  FI has never been to Florida and I have never been to Key West.  Just looking for ppl's input and help.  Is a week too long, any must do activities there, stuff like that.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  We are hoping to go in late May.

Re: Key West HM

• Options

We just went this past June and are going back next June.

We walked around and saw the sights. Did the Mallory Square sunset thing. Honestly, it was alright but nothing like the sunsets in Jamaica. There's just this huge mass of people,vendors and street performers. The performers were pretty cool but dh and I really aren't into the "crowd" thing so it just really wasn't our style. 

We walked to Southern Most Point at night which in my opinion is the best time to go since it was not crowded. We got some guy to take our pic to show we had been there. 

We went to Hemmingway house which not only is beautiful but the cats are so cute. There had been several kittens when we where there that had I had my beach bag would have gone missing LOL J/K. 

Fort Taylor was pretty neat and the beach there isn't to bad. Beaches in KW are not like they are here. They are more coral than sand so there kinda rocky and it hurts your feet. We will be trying Higgs beach this coming June as that one looked pretty nice. 

We did the Blue Heaven thing for dinner. Honestly, not impressed and certainly not worth the price. The place is little more than a shack type house with a back yard and chickens running around as you are eating. Very very over priced. Two drinks each, one entree each and one dessert each set us back $170. 

Conch Republic was good for dinner but again kinda $$$. The best and cheapest we found (just your basic diner/cafe food though so nothing fancy) was Carolines Cafe on Duval St. (2 drinks each, an appetizer to share and 2 entrees was just over $60) now that's more reasonable. 

We also went snorkeling which was a lot of fun. 

Did the conch tour train. Very informative if you like history, 

Bars: Iris Kevins and Sloppy Joes where our favorites. However, you must go to The Worlds Smallest Bar and get a drink made in either a pineapple or coconut. I don't remember what shops it's between but it's very very tiny (I almost missed it) all I remember is it's on Duval for us from where we stayed (Hyatt of Front St) it was on the right hand side. 

When we go back this coming June we are doing the Dry Tortugus tour. We wanted to do it this past time but ran out of time. 

Another fun thing to do is rent a scooter and "scoot" around the whole island. We did that on our last day and just went up and down all the roads. 

Here's the link to our website if you'd like to see the pics.

http://www.kristiandkerry.com/HTML/GalleryOfGalleries.php

(photo galleries,travel,key west) FYI, on the first pic of each day there is a mini review.
  • Options
    Casa Marina is a really gorgeous hotel
  • Options

Thanks for the info.  I think we will pass on KW for our HM.  Looking for something a little slower paced for that.  Thanks for the link for your pics.  I still can't wait to go to KW, but as for now I'll keep searching.

• Options
    No prob. Glad you enjoyed the pics. Yeah, it's a bit fast paced for most but we are they type that even on vaca can't stand to sit still :) I can see why most would not want to go for a relaxing honeymoon.  If your interested in staying in the states you could try Islamorada Key. That's the next one we will be checking out.  Here's a link to a resort I found thanks to the ladies on the travel board on the nest. Place looks amazing

http://www.cheeca.com/
  • Options
    I liked Key West for a vacation but I don't think I would have liked it for a HM.  We went for 5 days a few years ago and it was really fun. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I tend to agree that Key West is a little too much for a honeymoon.  We had our HM there and between all the drinking and activities, we were completely exhausted by the end of the week (it was a blast though).   Part of me wishes we had stayed in Islamorada (where we got married in the upper Keys) for our HM.  In particular, I wish we had rented a cottage at the Moorings Village (right next to Cheeca Resort, which is also great):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34346-d113464-Reviews-The_Moorings_Village_and_Spa-Islamorada_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

weddingcollage
  • Options
    I went to Islamorada last summer and it was *amazing* Definitely a perfect place for a honeymoon! You still get everything that Key West has to offer (bars, beaches, fishing, food) without all the crazy people on the streets. :) Don't count the Florida Keys out just yet... but maybe you might like St. Augustine or something else in Florida?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards