Catholic Weddings

That was just what I needed

We went to Easter Vigil last night with FI's parents and brother. It wasn't at our home church, but it was still awesome. Definitely just what I needed.
I had a smile the whole time and feel renewed. There was even 3 people being baptized and 2 being confirmed through the RCIA. I teared up when they said their profession of faith. That was me last year!!

The sad part: FI said he's never going to Easter Vigil again. It was way too long and he didn't enjoy it :( At least it renewed me to stop trying to get him to come. 

Re: That was just what I needed

• doctabroccolidoctabroccoli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    :).  Congrats on your first full Vigil as a member of the Church!

I belong to a small Parish, and so we don't always have people receiving sacraments.  Last night, our priest forgot to do the sprinkling.  We went straight from the vow form of the profession of faith to the petitions.  I was the cantor, so we were ready to start the song for the sprinkling, and he just kept going.  We were like "Uhhhhh, drr, drr, drr.....  Okay, that just DIDN'T happen.  Moving on......"  Mind you this is the priest that completely skipped the Holy, Holy one week - just flipped the page and kept going with the Eucharistic Prayer.  He's an awesome priest, but sometimes I think there are a couple screws loose......
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on your 1st anniversary in the church. It has been 2 yrs for me already. I can't believe it. The Easter Vigil will always hold a special place in my heart since it is when we got engaged 2 yrs ago.

Both H and I love the Easter Vigil. Even though here in the South, it wasn't as nearly as long as we are used to back in the North.  I almost didn't think we were going to make it b/c H has bronchitis :( He got a coughing attack after all the incense and had to step out for a few minutes.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats.. Our Easter Vigil Started at 8:30pm and ended at 11:30pm ( due to all of the baptisms, Confirmations, 1st communions and it was Bilingual.)

I can't wait until Next year where it will be my 1 year and I can Enjoy the Service.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I was confirmed last night. Our Easter vigil didn't start until 9pm, and it wasn't over until midnight. Then there was a party afterwards.
  • sbcbussbcbus member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was baptized and confirmed at Easter Vigil last night, and it was such an amazing experience.  The service was long (8:30-11pm plus a party after).  But, I'd never been to the Easter Vigil service and definitely look forward to going next year.  Congrats Mrs.C on confirmation!
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy 1 year anniversary, mcdol!  And welcome, SoontobeMrsC :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your FI, mcdol... I think he needs some intercession from Saint Monica!  Her many prayers for her husband and son (St. Augustine) eventually brought them home.  I can definitely understand why the 3 hour long service could be difficult to endure if one isn't invested in it... it's all I can do to maintain focus the whole time with the many readings, hymns, more readings, rites...

Totally random, but at my parents parish Easter Vigil last night, they had the closing blessing right after we all sang the closing hymn which concluded with a fantastic organ fanfare.  Right after the song concluded and everyone was silent, a young girl joyfully shouted out... "YAY!" 

Happy Easter, ladies :)
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_just-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4cdb1691-1a0a-483c-987d-a2bb488583e7Post:9f19728a-fe76-4c2e-9a8a-a2fe92b27364">Re: That was just what I needed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Totally random, but at my parents parish Easter Vigil last night, they had the closing blessing right after we all sang the closing hymn which concluded with a fantastic organ fanfare.  Right after the song concluded and everyone was silent, a young girl joyfully shouted out... "YAY!"  Happy Easter, ladies :)
    Posted by newlyseliski[/QUOTE]

As a musician, I can tell you that this is the BEST compliment ever!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! I've never been to a western rite Easter Vigil. I can't wait to go next year. I don't know what your FI would think about our church. We ended up having mass for 4 hours on Sunday!!! I was so tired afterwards, but I still loved it.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

I confess that I can emphthise with your FI though.  I sometimes feel so tired, I'm afraid I won't make it all the way.

Our Christmas Midnight Mass can be the same although the music often stimulates me enough to make it ;)
  • edited December 2011
    Last year ours started at 9 and ended at midnight with a party afterwards. This year, since we were at a different parish it was 9 to 11:15 (the exact time my FI gave me *rolls eyes*) I didn't find it too long, but FFIL fell asleep at the beginning when all the lights were off, FI kept checking his watch and FBIL kept asking how long it was going to be.
    I can understand FI's point of view. He can barely make it through a regular service, so I shouldn't have expected more from him. I did however think he would be excited for my behalf since it was a 1 yr celebration for me. I guess he just doesn't get it since he wasn't there to see my confirmed last year either. (Working away that weekend)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards