Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

What do you think of when you hear this song?

So, after going through a ton of songs for our 1st dance with my picky other half, We decided on "Can you feel the love tonight" By Elton John.
Now everyone we have told says all they can think of is The Lion King.
He says its OUR wedding and we are still using it. LOL

What do you all think?
I don't know if I can get him to change :)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What do you think of when you hear this song?

• edited December 2011
    I think that it doesn't matter what other people think, it's what YOU think.  It's your first dance song, not anyone else's.  You should be in the moment with your first dance anyway, not be paying attention to what your guests are thinking.

We are going to be using a song that means a lot to us, even though it's something very non-traditional.  We played it for his mom and I could tell she wasn't thrilled with it, but it doesn't matter to anyone but us.
  • VRLVRL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the generation. Older generations probably won't make the connections, and neither will younger generations.

*I* think Lion King when I hear that song, because I am part of the 'Lion King' generation.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a very beautiful, meaningful song and it definitely shouldn't stop you from using it for your first dance.

The Lion King is, for the most part, a much beloved movie - so even if people do make that connection, at least it will be a positive one! Go for it!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    First, I think about how much I like that song, then I think of The Lion King, too, but that's not a bad thing.  Either way, it's a beautiful song, and if it's meaningful to you, then use it.
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lion King!!! But it is a beautiful song that makes me all warm, fuzzy and nostalgic inside. Go for it!
  • Linz10882Linz10882 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Lion King is what first comes to mind, but if you guys like it, go for it! 
  • kari829kari829 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

There isn't one song that is meaningful to us other than "Don't stop believing" by Journey, but we won't sure that as our 1st dance song LOL.
    On the other hand, we do like the song and our parents both love Eric Clapton.

Just wanted to get some opinions...Thanks ladies!

• edited December 2011
    It doesn't matter what other people think, it's what matters to the two of you.  I think you two should go for it!  It does remind me of the lion king too, but, I remember going to the movie theater with my mom to watch it... and I still love it! :)
  • lexa10lexa10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

That is also an option for our first dance song too! I was in the Lion King generation. And even though I think about that, it's such a beautiful songs and really works for us..

• Kreiss147Kreiss147 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kari,

It's adorable, and in my case would be a miracle, that your man has such a vested interest in your song, and I believe that if it really means something to the two of you, it will show through in your dance together.  Once people see the love you share, they won't be thinking about anything else.

Plus, the Lion King is an excellent movie, and the scene in which the song is played is when the two are falling in love, anyways...making the song more than appropriate and perfect for the two of you:)  Have an excellent wedding and an even better marriage!
  • kari829kari829 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The 1st dance is the ONLY thing he has an interest in. LOL
    Oh and the colors. I wanted pool blue and brown, he said No and then after I settled on Pool Blue, silver and white, he said the brown didn't look bad. I could've killed him :)
    Other than that he has given me full reign over it all.
  • edited December 2011
    Sure it makes me think of Lion King, but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It's a good song, don't worry if people think its weird.
  • edited December 2011
    have you tried to find a remix or cover version of it to make it sound less lion king-y?
    "The perfect marriage begins when each partner believes they got better than they deserve."
  • edited December 2011
    I think if you guys agree that you both really like that song then that's what's important.
    You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.- Dr. Seuss Wedding Countdown Ticker
    83 Invited image 32 Attending image2 Declined image Still Waiting 49 image
  • carolinaila10carolinaila10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are using that song BECAUSE we like the lion king and disney movies so much!
    Mr. & Mrs. REB
  • mkjpopmkjpop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally makes me think of The Lion King... and I love it! That movie is great, and that song is really romantic. I think it's sweet and that you should go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    158 image 125 image 33 image 0image RSVP Date: May 27
  • edited December 2011
    it makes me think of the lion king but its a pretty song and its not like there are lions roaring in the background!
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Lion King...which is awesome, because I <333 that movie!
  • edited December 2011
    a little cliche for my tastes. as my mom said when I told her roses, calla lillies, and romantic songs were too cliche for my tastes "Weddings are cliche" lol. I think of the lion king, but that was such a good movie, i dont think thats such a horrible song.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards