Ohio-Columbus
Options

First look pics

So what does everyone think of first look pics? Almost every photographer I talked to suggests them. The traditionalist inside me says no, don't do it. It will be much more special if he sees you for the first time when you're walking down the aisle. And then the logical side of me says that it will be better for timing of everything all around and we won't have to keep our guests waiting too long for us and the bridal party to take pics after the ceremony. And then all photogs say it will be more intimate and relieves some stress/nerves.

Thoughts?

Re: First look pics

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a first look.  I'm will be super nervous about walking down the aisle so seeing FI beforehand is my preference.  Also, I want pics at sunset (which is around 5:15 in November) and our ceremony starts at 6pm so....it just works out better this way.  I'm all about the intimate moment and getting as many pics out the way BEFORE I bawl my eyes out during the ceremony, lol.
  • Options
    AshLWAshLW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My FI and I are doing first-look pictures.  My main thing was that I hate long gaps between ceremonies and receptions when I am a guest, so I didn't want for my guests to have to sit through that.  We are getting married later in the evening, so we plan to get as many pictures done before the ceremony, then maybe take 15-20 minutes after the ceremony to do any others.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    casims3casims3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also doing a first look. I thought it would be nice to have most of the pictures out of the way ahead of time. That way we can enjoy ourselves after the ceremony and not be stressed about squeezing in pictures before the reception. (I also really don't like gaps.) If you google first look pictures, I think it might help you feel more comfortable with it. I always think the pictures are adorable and like that the moment is between just you and FI (and the photographer.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    H and I are both really traditional. We did not do first look pics and do not regret it at all. It works for some people, but not for others. The first time he saw me after the RD was over was when my Dad walked me down the aisle. Besides the ceremony itself, it was an awesome moment for H and I.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I, at first, did not want to do it. FI did. I absolutely did not, had my mind made up and wasn't budging. We talked to the photog and she made me cry describing it. I changed my mind and am now doing it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we definitely want a first look but we hate being apart. we're staying together the night before the wedding. we're eating breakfast together on our wedding day. we'll only be apart while my girls and i are getting hair and makeup done. that's just our preference though.
  • Options
    jnkreagerjnkreager member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    KDay I feel the exact way that you do.  I still have no idea what we are going to do.  I think you won't regret either...both are special in their own ways.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    AjoydAjoyd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing first look for many of the reasons stated by PPs. Our wedding is in the evening and I don't want to miss out on my own cocktail hour with my guests because we are taking a hundred photos.

I think the first look moment can be just as special as seeing each other for the first time at the ceremony. And FI and I can share our last few moments as an engaged couple together.
    Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 since September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. photo 455d4bc3-3623-4c16-8dd1-1fbc7e99e147.jpg BabyFruit Ticker My BFP Chart
  • Options
    osuchica85osuchica85 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing first looks because I want to share that moment in private (ok so I realize the photographer will be there....but relatively private). If I wait, I am bound to have my makeup get messed up. Also, I think I might have the hyperventilating cry in front of everyone if I wait because I am a sap. Hopefully, this reduces that possibility. I'm ugly when I cry. I get red and my chin sort of wrinkles. Sounds dumb but I don't get as breathy and ugly looking when others aren't staring at me. Also, I've seen hundreds of really cute first look photos. Our ceremony and reception are at the same place. The ceremony won't start till 6:30p. I don't want to spend all of cocktail hour taking photos.
  • Options
    csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did not do a first look.  we are both very traditional and H forced the idea of not seeing each other before even more than I did.  While the timing would have worked out better to do a first look, we still wouldn't change a thing about it.  Like MissySue, we also didn't see each other from the RD until I walked down the aisle.  It was a great moment!
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    itsallnice421itsallnice421 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty set on not doing a first look. I'm not exactly sure why, but I just want that moment of seeing each other for the first time as my dad is walking me down the aisle. I like the anticipation, and it's how I've always pictured doing it. But if you are comfortable with a first look I do agree it works out better for the wedding timeline, and the PPs made good points. I might regret my decision, who knows!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally, when I see first looks on a photographer's page or wherever, it kinda freaks me out.  They seem so creepy/stalkerish.  The bride creeping up on the groom, the groom turning around, the odd looks on their faces.  Sure, there's been a cute one here or there but for the most part I find them to be awkward.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if we stick with the church we are not doing a first look, we will have about an hour and half in between the ceremony and the reception and that will be enough time to take pictures. I am excited to see him when i am walking down the aisle that is what i want, but I also think the first look would be cute. 
  • Options
    Cassandra999Cassandra999 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm really torn about it.  I need to talk to FI about it of course.  I kind of don't want to so we can have the traditional seeing each other as I walking down the aisle, but I dont want to miss the whole cocktail hour with our guests.... but I guess that's why they have a cocktail hour.  My photog suggests it, but that's just so they aren't rushed.  My mom was really against it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    spainstaceyspainstacey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer didn't even suggest it and maybe that's cause I'm very traditional...  I want that special momment, and while I know it will take more time after the wedding, there is  a cocktail hour for a reason in my opinion and this might sound SUPER Selfish, but i know my guest will have to wait for us to arrive, but it's also my wedding day not theirs, when I go to other weddings I expect to wiat an hour our hour and fifteen 20 minutes.

Like I said might sound selfish but that's how I feel.

We are doing any and all pictures we can do without seeing each other before hte ceremony.... aka me and my bridesmaids and my mom and dad and me and me and my flower girl etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards