June 2013 Weddings

How to find an officiant?

My fiancé and I do not have a church home and will probably get married at the same venue our reception will be at. How do we go about finding someone to marry us?

Re: How to find an officiant?

• cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012
    You'll probably want to hire a Justice of the Peace. I believe you can hire them out through your local government (city hall, county offices, etc.). I have no idea what they generally charge, but they're nondenominational/not religiously affiliated, so you should be all set no matter what, religious or not. They'll be able to adjust the ceremony based on your beliefs. 

We're planning on asking FI's cousin who is ordained and a pastor at a small church in Alabama. Even though neither of us are religious, the idea of someone so close to us officiating seems too sweet to pass up. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2013-weddings_how-to-find-an-officiant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f30b0bfc-508d-415c-bf59-ab83e327da37Discussion:ce3f7974-6bc4-4e06-88f9-acdf87af249cPost:f7e19bdb-e15d-4f41-b1b4-99361703fd08">Re: How to find an officiant?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You'll probably want to hire a Justice of the Peace. I believe you can hire them out through your local government (city hall, county offices, etc.). I have no idea what they generally charge, but they're nondenominational/not religiously affiliated, so you should be all set no matter what, religious or not. They'll be able to adjust the ceremony based on your beliefs. 
    Posted by cnf2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This. I have also been to weddings where friends of the B&G asked another friend to marry them - don't know exactly how it works but I think you can be ordained online, or become a JOP for a day for the sole purpose of marrying people.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We found ours at a bridal show.  Try asking on your local board, there may be wedding officiants the girls there are familiar with.  Our venue is for the ceremony and reception, and our officiant is non-denominational.   She has several different ceremonies to choose from, and is willing to add/change whatever we want to make it what we want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sparkles776sparkles776 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2012

Agree with PP. I would ask this question on your local board, I am sure they can probably be more helpful than us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • As PP said, I would check out your local board. That is how we found ours. We began by meeting with the ones that I found to be recommended several times by the local girls.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks I will check their also.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards