Destination Weddings Discussions

Welcome Dinner Wording

Hi Girls,

I've posted a few times on here a while back and definitely lurk b/c you all have such great ideas!  I'm hoping you can help me with welcome dinner invitation...i'm getting married in the Outer Banks and we are planning on having a pot luck welcome dinner two days before the wedding where all our guests can meet and hang out- however since we are paying for both the rehearsal and wedding we didn't want the welcome dinner all on us as well...since most people are staying in houses with kitchens we thought everyone could bring something, but i'm not sure how to word that my invitation...do you think it's rude to even ask?

Re: Welcome Dinner Wording

• You have to be careful with inviting ppl to events that you're not hosting.  First, you need to word it in a way that makes it clear they don't have to come, and second, you shouldn't include it in a formal invite.  A separate email a couple weeks before the event is probably the best way to go.  

When you do let them know about it, just tell them that there's a potluck going on at your place on XX/YY date at whatever time, and that they're welcome to bring something and join in on the fun and get to know the other guests.
  • erm....I hate to say it, but if I was your guest and had traveled to attend your wedding and then had to go grocery shopping in a strange town and then cook a dish to bring to a wedding event, I would be pi$$ed.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_welcome-dinner-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:9ba12d73-700f-4614-ba88-ff1b78d1dab7Post:11d7ba98-faca-424f-8e93-9cb35777e966">Re: Welcome Dinner Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]erm....I hate to say it, but if I was your guest and had traveled to attend your wedding and then had to go grocery shopping in a strange town and then cook a dish to bring to a wedding event, I would be pi$$ed.
    Posted by AlaskanAlison[/QUOTE]
    Well, there's that.  :)

Instead, you could host something really low-key.  If there's a Costco (or any affordable grocery store) nearby, you could pick up some pre-made food and just bbq burgers and dogs for folks.  Maybe see if your parents and FI's parents will help defray the cost a bit.
  • i didn't think it would be that big of a deal b/c everyone is coming for the week and the grocery store is at the front of the "resort" where we are staying...i figured they would have to grocery shop anyway for the week...at least that's what we do when we go down there...i understand your point though, especially for those that are staying in a hotel or not down all week

i guess im not considering this a "wedding event" but a time to just hang out, for guests to get to know and talk to everyone, before the actual wedding where time is just gonna fly by...

we did think about doing a bbq or something but just trying to keep the cost down b/c neither of our mom's can help financially with anything so again it's all on us...and i've looked at restaurants and they want just $2000 to reserve plus food and drinks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards