Christian Weddings

Just stirring the pot...

I saw this video come across my FB news feed and thought it was... interesting. Took me a while to process what I thought about it. 

What do you think?

Click: Here

Sorry, it's kinda long, but you get the idea right away. 

PostCeremony-131.1

Re: Just stirring the pot...

• ok, I've paused a third of the way through.  I'm not a fan.  Mostly it was a gut feeling.  Until he talked about not minding being seen in places that were built for sin.  Jesus spent time with the tax collectors and prostitutes!  And of course that was seen as the *wrong* thing to do.  Also, there is sin pretty much everywhere, I don't think cloistering ourselves off from the world is what all Christians need to do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got about half way through. There are a few things I didn't quite agree with, as PP have stated, but I totally agree with his main point. We cannot serve two masters. We cannot continue living a sinful lifestyle and profess to be Christians. One of the comments below the video says it best:

"There is forgiveness for sins. Nate's point is that after people claim salvation and forgiveness, they go on continuing to live in a sinful lifestyle. The Lord did not die for our sins so we could continue in them. He died so we could be free of them. I'm not talking about a mistake but a lifestyle of sin."
  • I turned it off after a couple of minutes. He reminds me of my high school youth pastor who literally drove me out of the youth group with his yelling and ranting. It wasn't because I didn't agree with what he said, it was because of how he was presenting it and how he insisted on being confrontational.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited January 2012
    The way he communicated definately turned me off, and I didn't agree with some of his points. Like PP said about being seen in places of sin and such. Jesus def hung out wiht people he "shouldn't" have been with. 

It was a gut check of sorts for me though. How often I do default to God always being willing to forgive me. I feel bad for a milisecond and then I'm off doing the next thing because "it's ok, I'm already forgiven" 

Just made me think. 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • I made it to the end, but I have to admit, it was very difficult to watch. I do agree with his main point- that we shouldn't consciously continue to sin simply because God has forgiven us. Because of what He has done for us, we want to live a life that makes Him smile. I also agree with what he was saying about watching movies with all kinds of vulgar things. I actually refuse to watch R-rated movies anymore because of that. I'm not saying that if someone watches those movies then they are a "bad Christian". Those movies just aren't for me. 

While I see his point, I think he went about it all wrong. No one is perfect and he made it seem like eternity in hell is imminent for tons of Christians. I think that once we give our lives to Christ and start to learn more about Him, we turn away from conscious sin because we WANT to, not because we are afraid of what might happen to us if we don't. Someone posted under the video that we should do things out of our love for Christ, not fear of Hell. Honestly, Nate's harsh words and the way he presented his idea seemed almost the opposite of what I think Christianity is all about- love.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_just-stirring-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:bc89ba05-3eb5-4001-9d10-4f83ae8df9c8Post:c117d5da-f7e7-4ecb-89b1-85799708006e">Re: Just stirring the pot...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got about half way through. There are a few things I didn't quite agree with, as PP have stated, but I totally agree with his main point. We cannot serve two masters. <strong>We cannot continue living a sinful lifestyle and profess to be Christians. </strong>One of the comments below the video says it best: "There is forgiveness for sins. Nate's point is that after people claim salvation and forgiveness, they go on continuing to live in a sinful lifestyle. The Lord did not die for our sins so we could continue in them. He died so we could be free of them. I'm not talking about a mistake but a lifestyle of sin."
    Posted by 2012FutureMrsB[/QUOTE]

<div>But...everyone sins. Even the "best" people you know still sin, though they may seem selfless, giving, pious, and kind. Even if you try not to, it's impossible to live a sinless life. Only Christ did that. Or so I was raised. I consider myself a Christian, but this has always annoyed and confused me, because I feel like it's why others think Christians are hypocrites. I don't have a good answer, other than Christians essentially try to be sinless and always fail, because we're human, and we continiously must maintain a relationship with God in order to retain salvation and forgiveness. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_just-stirring-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:bc89ba05-3eb5-4001-9d10-4f83ae8df9c8Post:cd9313c1-c36f-49a2-98c3-a9d6220f3c26">Re: Just stirring the pot...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just stirring the pot... : But...everyone sins. Even the "best" people you know still sin, though they may seem selfless, giving, pious, and kind. Even if you try not to, it's impossible to live a sinless life. Only Christ did that. Or so I was raised. I consider myself a Christian, but this has always annoyed and confused me, because I feel like it's why others think Christians are hypocrites. I don't have a good answer, other than Christians essentially try to be sinless and always fail, because we're human, and we continiously must maintain a relationship with God in order to retain salvation and forgiveness. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

But he wasn't saying "sinless" - I totally agree with you that we are not perfect, even after becoming Christians. What he's talking about is a "lifestyle" of sin, which means that we consciously continue to sin without doing anything about it, without asking the Lord to help us grow and change and become more like Christ little by little.

ETA: He's speaking specifically to people who sin on purpose and justify it with the idea that we're forgiven, so what does it matter if we sin? Paul addresses this very issue in Romans 6:

"Dead to Sin, Alive in Christ:
    <strong>1. What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2. By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?

</strong>Like I said before, I don't totally agree with his presentation either or some of his examples, but I do agree with his main point and it is a good wake up call. I liked what he said about people who call others out on their sin are looked at as being judgemental, while other people are "allowed" to continue sinning without any change b/c we're supposed to "tolerate" their sin and not judge. Hogwash. God instructs us to hold other Christians accountable - this must be done gently and through love, not harsh judgment - but it still needs to be done. We cannot judge a person's heart, but we CAN judge their fruit - the guy uses the apple tree analogy. We should be able to know if a person is a Christian or not based on their fruit. What's in the heart will overflow into a person's life choices. We're not perfect, but our character should be improving over time.
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_just-stirring-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:bc89ba05-3eb5-4001-9d10-4f83ae8df9c8Post:cd9313c1-c36f-49a2-98c3-a9d6220f3c26">Re: Just stirring the pot...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just stirring the pot... : But...everyone sins. Even the "best" people you know still sin, though they may seem selfless, giving, pious, and kind. Even if you try not to, it's impossible to live a sinless life. Only Christ did that. Or so I was raised. I consider myself a Christian, but this has always annoyed and confused me, because I feel like it's why others think Christians are hypocrites. I don't have a good answer, other than Christians essentially try to be sinless and always fail, because we're human, and we continiously must maintain a relationship with God in order to retain salvation and forgiveness. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]
    <p class="MsoNoSpacing">I think the main point is the attempt to change.  Being a Christian to me means continuously working on our sins and trying to become more like Christ.  If you aren't a Christian why would you change anything in your life style?  According to society you aren't doing anything wrong.  And of course a relationship with Christ is important. </p><p class="MsoNoSpacing"> </p><p class="MsoNoSpacing"> </p><p class="MsoNoSpacing">EDIT:  Also I couldn't make it more than a minute into the video.  From the little I heard I didn't like what he had to say.  Who does he think he is that he can say that Christians are in Hell?  Is he God?  No, he is just making that <strong><u>Judgement </u></strong>based off of his believes.   I didn't like it.</p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_just-stirring-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:bc89ba05-3eb5-4001-9d10-4f83ae8df9c8Post:c8484b98-2acc-4b23-8cdf-7e6bd608a3c8">Re: Just stirring the pot...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just stirring the pot... : I think the main point is the attempt to change.  Being a Christian to me means continuously working on our sins and trying to become more like Christ.  If you aren't a Christian why would you change anything in your life style?  According to society you aren't doing anything wrong.  And of course a relationship with Christ is important.   EDIT:  Also I couldn't make it more than a minute into the video.  From the little I heard I didn't like what he had to say.  <strong>Who does he think he is that he can say that Christians are in Hell?  Is he God?</strong>  No, he is just making that Judgement based off of his believes.   I didn't like it.
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

<div>Totally agree with you.... but... I do hold a theological belief that some professing Christians will not be in heaven. There is nothing in scripture that says a simple prayer will get you in. Jesus talks multiple time of surrendering to him and giving your life and heart to him. I am not the one to judge at what point in someone's life that act is made (for some it might be before they say a specific prayer) but I do think that we will be surprised at who spends eternity with Christ and who doesn't. I fully believe once you surrender, nothing can seperate you from that, but I don't think the "repeat after me" method is always correct. John 3:16 doesn't read "Who so ever repeat after me..." ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>That might have turned to word vomit.... </div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_just-stirring-pot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:bc89ba05-3eb5-4001-9d10-4f83ae8df9c8Post:4d10db3a-a490-4fd6-baa6-06c786d6ba08">Re: Just stirring the pot...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just stirring the pot... : Totally agree with you.... but... I do hold a theological belief that some professing Christians will not be in heaven. There is nothing in scripture that says a simple prayer will get you in. Jesus talks multiple time of surrendering to him and giving your life and heart to him. I am not the one to judge at what point in someone's life that act is made (for some it might be before they say a specific prayer) but I do think that we will be surprised at who spends eternity with Christ and who doesn't. I fully believe once you surrender, nothing can seperate you from that, but I don't think the "repeat after me" method is always correct. John 3:16 doesn't read "Who so ever repeat after me..." ;) That might have turned to word vomit.... 
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]
    <span style="font-size:11pt;line-height:115%;font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';">Lol I totally agree.  I think there is much more then just saying the prayer, but who am I to say my brother will not be in Heaven because I don't think he is being good enough.  To me that just stray into hypocrisy. </span>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards