Registry and Gift Forum

How to let people buy gifts from places other than where you registered.

I plan to register for online and in-store locations for gifts, however, I do not care if the gift came from that location. If they can find the gift cheaper in their area, I'm ok with them buying it there. For example, I want a cast iron skillet, but my family members may not feel comfotable buying off Amzon or may not live near a Khols or Macy's. 

Is there a way to say this or setup a registery where people can mark off what they bought without buying through any of our specific registeries? 

Re: How to let people buy gifts from places other than where you registered.

• I had people just contact Macys or Target and tell them that they bought the item somewhere else, and the clerk would check it off as purchased. Otherwise, you could always return duplicates, since once it gets purchased off of your registry most of those stores count that as having a gift receipt.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hmm, that's a good idea. I don't know people could do that.  

Another question. We love hand made items and are often insppired buy images we find online or on Etsy. Is there a way to link people to images, say on Pintrest, and encourage them to try their hand at homemade items we've found and liked?
  • Oh, and thank you for the reply! 
  • Amazon allows people to mark an item as purchased without buying from Amazon.  However, this isn't really something you need to "let" people do.  Guests may buy items elsewhere, and if you get duplicates you can just return items to the store where you registered.  

I think the handmade gift idea registry is a little weird.  If people want to make you a gift, they will.  If someone is particularly crafty and asks if there is anything they can make for you, it's fine to suggest some ideas.
  • Honestly, you need let this bother your guests as little as possible.  If their gift is a duplicate, then YOU do the legwork to correct the registry, not them.  

So, say you get a duplicate:  Return your duplicate item to the store with the registry.

Say you get an item from another store, and it's on your registry at Macy's. Call Macy's, or get online, and update your registry by removing the item. 

It's pain free and easy to maintain your registries.  It's not your guests' jobs to do it, though.  It's yours.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-to-let-people-buy-gifts-from-places-other-than-where-you-registered?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:86a8d57c-dbee-48ca-b883-802db70ccc60Post:720694a8-32c6-4bf2-8ba1-980606fd829a">Re: How to let people buy gifts from places other than where you registered.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amazon allows people to mark an item as purchased without buying from Amazon.  However, this isn't really something you need to "let" people do.  Guests may buy items elsewhere, and if you get duplicates you can just return items to the store where you registered. 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

This is what we're doing. I like that Amazon usually has the best price, but it's also pretty straightforward in allowing you to check off an item that has been purchased from another source.
  • In the notes column of the item you can say "available at multiple stores"
  • Include it in your invites--that way, there will be no confusion.  Or, if you just ask for cash, then you can buy whatever you want after the wedding from what's left on your registry!  If you're specific, people can't get confused.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-to-let-people-buy-gifts-from-places-other-than-where-you-registered?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:86a8d57c-dbee-48ca-b883-802db70ccc60Post:88ce3cbd-e5bd-4cf0-bae1-3b533bf16e2f">Re: How to let people buy gifts from places other than where you registered.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Include it in your invites--that way, there will be no confusion.  Or, if you just ask for cash, then you can buy whatever you want after the wedding from what's left on your registry!  If you're specific, people can't get confused.
    Posted by rb1734a[/QUOTE]

This is a joke, I think.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_how-to-let-people-buy-gifts-from-places-other-than-where-you-registered?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:86a8d57c-dbee-48ca-b883-802db70ccc60Post:88ce3cbd-e5bd-4cf0-bae1-3b533bf16e2f">Re: How to let people buy gifts from places other than where you registered.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Include it in your invites--that way, there will be no confusion.  Or, if you just ask for cash, then you can buy whatever you want after the wedding from what's left on your registry!  If you're specific, people can't get confused.
    Posted by rb1734a[/QUOTE]
    Go away, troll.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards