Just Engaged and Proposals

Help picking a Date

Hello All,
 Please Help ..... I just got engaged on Jan 1 2013 & I am having a ton of trouble pick a date. I would prefer warm weather but my fiance would prefer cooler weather. We live just outside of pittsburgh. This is only part of my problem my older sister just got engaged and is shooting for next spring , my fiances brother is proposing in April & he has aksed us not to pick next June.  A couple of the people in the bridal party are teachers so I would like to do this on a 3 day weekend or in the summer (June preferably cause its not the hottest month).
 I was hoping to pick my birthday next May but my sister can't get off  work on any holiday weekends &  my friend is getting married the 10th of May.
 I don't want to step on anyones toes but don't want to have to wait until 2015

Please give me some advice.

Re: Help picking a Date

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    First, congratulations!

There is always going to be SOMEONE who has a problem with the date. One of my best friends couldn't come to our wedding because it fell on the weekend of regionals for an academic competition and she was the director. I couldn't plan my wedding around her schedule, though. 

Your brother and sister and friend get ONE day, not an entire month or season. I and my bridesmaids are also teachers. Neither of them needed to take any days off for the wedding. I took 3 days off the week of and since we were married a week after Spring Break, I had that week to do last minute stuff. If you're worried about your teacher friends, maybe one of the weekends attached to Spring Break would work for you. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with PPs though I'm curious why your FI's brother is already claiming a month. I especially agree on the fall idea. I don't know if it's true for where you are, but in Colorado August and September are what we call the second summer because it's so warm out! Maybe do it before school starts for your teacher friends?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Congratulations on your engagement!
    Agree with PP's, its not respectful for your FI's brother to tell you when not to do it, since you guys are engaged first.
    Similar situation was that when we accounced our engagement, close friend's son and gf told us not to pick a particular date (they weren't engaged yet!) and i am in a wedding on the date they told me and i said, "oh we aren't! im in a wedding that day already!" and we are planning for 2014 not 2013. Those two are now engaged and moved their date to June not a day in May.
    Not everyone is able to attend, just remember that! and if you don't want fall, stick with a different weekend in June if that is the month YOU and your FI want!

It's only going to happen once, so why try to make EVERYONE else happy, they should be happy for you and you and your FI should do what makes you happy!
  • How about May 24, 2014...thats labor day weekend??

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_help-picking-a-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:85454ee4-203d-494c-b9c3-b08a1d9d3bafPost:4a812300-5873-42d5-90ef-b8a36071b84d">Re: Help picking a Date</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about May 24, 2014...thats labor day weekend??
    Posted by LAM2228[/QUOTE]

<div>I think you mean Memorial Day weekend. (Labor Day is in September.) OP- if you do go with a holiday weekend, just remember that some people have family traditions or plans for those weekends. So be sure to check with your VIPs and try not to get offended if you have a smaller guest count than you were hoping for.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards