Military Brides

Medical Waiver

So my fiance is trying to join the navy and he had high blood pressure at the MEPS but got it down after the doctor perscribed some medicine.  The doctor stated that he can now be off the medicine and he should be fine but now he has to get a medical waiver to get into the navy.  I was just wondering if it was a difficult or long process to get the waiver.  He really wants to get in but he is getting really discouraged with himself because of the blood pressure.  

Re: Medical Waiver

• ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I know my H ended up needing 2 waivers to get in the Marines. He also had to go to a bunch of different doctors a few times because of it. It did take a while, but it wasn't difficult, just annoying. Other posters might have better knowledge of this.
  • JillianL009JillianL009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah its just getting very nerve racking because I don't know how long its supposed to take but we were waiting for 2 weeks to hear back from meps but then my fiance called the recruiter and he said now we will have to wait til Friday and I don't know if that's too soon to hear about a waiver. The recruiter also said that it was 50/50 so it didnt sound like the chances are good,im not sure why they wouldn't be. But Im not very knowledgeable with all this so im just very confused and trying to be there for him.
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My H is a navy recruiter and I want to say that I don't think chanses are good. I don't want to discourage you though. Keep on keepin' on but like I said, positions fill up fast in the Navy so they don't NEED people anymore.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Ditto Hike. I was going to say that but I wasn't sure if I was right. When my H joined, they still wanted people to join, but I know now for the Marines its different and they are supposedly (someone else can confirm this) being more strict on who they accept.  I could be wrong though.

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Navy is basically fully manned right now, and starting a process where they are kicking people out just because they have so many people in.  Getting in is harder than ever in the Navy, and they will get rid of you for any reason.  Really though it depends on what rate is qualified for.  If he qualifies as a Nuc they will do what it takes to get him in.  But if he is going for any over manned rate his chances will be slim.  

However the actual process for a waver shouldn't take too long.  It's just a matter of whether or not he'll get it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Historically, whenever the economy is bad, enlistment goes up.  Right now, we've had a bad economy for a few years so most branches are pretty fully manned.  Pretty much anything will keep someone from getting in because right now, they can afford to be picky.  Best of Luck though!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to ditto y'all. I know army was in a similar fix when FI was re-upping last summer. They took away the bonuses 2 days after he filed or whatever because they were reaching the full point and he also had it affect him getting into the flight program because they were reaching their limits again and getting more selective. I don't want to discourage you either it is always possible depending on the situation, but if they don't have to work as hard to fill numbers they are naturally going to be more nit picky about who they let in.

I'd also say that you may luck out or try again later because depending on where they are in the fiscal year and what the numbers are it will change their attitude by my experience with it from the FI resigning and trying to get into programs and a friend who was enlisting a while back, but admittedly that's army not navy and i'd go with the ladies who posted above me with those recruiters hanging around..
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies.. not so much putting my mind at ease but something i knew was coming.  We are supposed to find out tomorrow.  At least im prepared for the worst and hoping for the best
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_medical-waiver?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:4ed88a98-32ac-4b7c-b705-caba3a6a45daPost:3f7bbd55-0bc5-4319-b0f1-c083deb70448">Re: Medical Waiver</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the advice ladies.. not so much putting my mind at ease but something i knew was coming.  We are supposed to find out tomorrow.  At least im prepared for the worst and hoping for the best
    Posted by JillianL009[/QUOTE]

Keep us updated.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well the recruiter never called as he said the lastest he would call about the news would be Friday (today) so my fiance called him just to get an update.  The recruiter told him to be more paitent and that he would call the second he found something out.  Guess we have more of a waiting game and im not sure when we will know now.  Hopefully by next friday but who knows... thanks for all the support ladies.  

Do you think that it could be a good thing that we have to wait longer? That maybe he got in?
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    I'd say it's best to be prepared for the worst, and keep your fingers crossed behind your back.  Anything is possible, and every situation is different.  Just try not to get your hopes up too much so you're not even more upset if it's bad news.  The military is a slow animal and it's not surprising that it's taking them longer - it doesn't necessarily mean good things or bad things.

Anniversary

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So i got another update... The recruiter said he needs to send it to another doctor and that could take up to 2 weeks and  my finace might need to go see his doctor.  But the recruiter said that he is not hopeful so thats where we are...
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry, Jillian.  Fingers crossed!  There's still hope until you hear otherwise, right?

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_medical-waiver?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:4ed88a98-32ac-4b7c-b705-caba3a6a45daPost:b9a80ea3-b676-483e-b165-2bb190192190">Re: Medical Waiver</a>:
    [QUOTE]So i got another update... The recruiter said he needs to send it to another doctor and that could take up to 2 weeks and  my finace might need to go see his doctor.  But the recruiter said that he is not hopeful so thats where we are...
    Posted by JillianL009[/QUOTE]

If you lived in the DC area, I'd swear your FI was working with my H. He was just on the phone last night with a guy in the same position.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards