Destination Weddings Discussions

In-Suite Reception

Hi,

My name is Allison and my fiancee (Quinn) and I are getting married August 7, 2010. Due to economic hardship, we decided to do a destination wedding in Hollywood, Florida and put a deposit of 500 down at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I later realized that we wouldn't even be able to afford the ceremony and reception at the Crowne Plaza so we cancelled it and changed the location to Vegas. We found Vegas' wedding packages to be much cheaper. We anticipate having approximately 15 people and saw that they offer "in-suite receptions." Some hotels will allow an outside caterer to come into the suite and cater the food and cake. We also plan on using our iPod for the music. It may turn out to be a nice intimate setting if we decorate the suite with candles and a few flowers around the room. Has anyone heard of anybody else doing an "in-suite reception?"

Re: In-Suite Reception

• We looked at a similar option for our DW.  We had planned on renting out what basically was the equivalent of a townhouse and having food brought in.  We had only anticipated a handful of guests and the dining room table would have been plenty of room.  Plus, the townhouse included plates, silverware, etc so it would have been very easy to do.  I say go for it!

My only advice would be to let your guests know that this is what you plan on doing.  Our families didn't have a problem with it, but some people might feel sort of "jipped" if they're flying all the way to Vegas for your wedding just to have a catered meal in a hotel room for the reception.  If they know up front what the plan is, they can choose whether or not they want to attend.  But the last thing you want is a room full of grumpy people on your wedding day.  GL!
  • Hi Lisa,

That is wonderful advice! Thank you so much!

What made you decide not to do it?

• We are doing a welcome party in the penthouse suite at our venue. We are having the hotel cater it. We actually got the rental of the room for free since we are doing so much with them. Obvsiouly you want to make sure whichever room you are going to do it in is NOT a room where you are actually staying. Maybe you can also work something out with getting the room at a discounted rate if X amount of people are staying there, etc.

• Our original plan was to invite only our parents to the DW.  Since then, my mom has had some health issues that might prevent her from traveling.  So we may end up moving the wedding back home.  If she can travel for the DW, we'll do exactly as I outlined above.  If she can't, we'll do something equally as intimate here at home, but we won't be able to make that call until some time early next spring.
  • Hi Lauren,

THANKS for the advice. I would never have thought about asking for a discount...good idea.

• I think that sounds lovely and very intimate!  :) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • THANKS! I'm really excited...now I just have to come up with the money to reserve the suite...UGH!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards