Plus-Sized

Anyone else have to pay A LOT extra for a larger size ring?

I am having a little bit of an issue trying to buy my wedding band.  I want a princess cut channel set diamond wedding band.  I understand that channel set rings can only be sized so much, but my jeweler is trying to charge me $1000 on top of the price it normally is for a size 11 3/4 ring.  I went to two other jewelry stores and they both said they would be able to do an 11 3/4  without charging me extra.  I really want to buy it there because that is where my e-ring came from and their I like their channel set bands the best.  They are supposed to get back with me about seeing what they can do about the price. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like they are trying to rip me off a little bit.
Planning Bio
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Follow Me on Pinterest
222image 50image 19image

Re: Anyone else have to pay A LOT extra for a larger size ring?

• I had this issue for my wedding band. My ring size is a 10 and my band is an eternity band with round cut diamonds. So, the bigger the band, the more stones = more money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It would be the same number of stones as a smaller size, it is just a 1/2 eternity. I just don't know why 2 stores wouldn't charge me extra but the store I want to shop at wants to.
    Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    222image 50image 19image
  • I would definitely go to one of hte other stores and mention to the store you got your engagement ring that you will not be buying it from them because you found the exact same ring for a better price.

however, i would check that the jewelry from the other sores are good quality before purchasing there. good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ask them if doing the ring in your size will increase the caret weight of the ring (meaning more diamonds) or the penny weight of the ring.  IF there is a justified price increase, that's where it would be.  Another question to ask is if they could do it in 10K gold instead of 14K.  You can't tell the difference and sometimes doing a ring in 10K can almost cut the cost in 1/2! 

I would ask the jeweler to weigh the display ring out for you, and ask to see the penny weight (the scale should be set to show the weight in "dtw".  Not grams or oz!).  It should weigh between 2.5-4 dtw and be a standard size 6.  You would be basically doubling the size of the ring, but that doesn't mean the ring will weigh double.  I would venture to guess that your ring should weigh no more than 5-7 penny weight, if even that. 

All of that being said, if you know the maker of the band you are after, or if you can snap a picture of it (and if the jeweler won't let you take a picture of the band with your engagement ring, you don't want to buy from him anyway!) take it to other stores, not chain stores, and see if they can make it for you or order it thru one of their vendors.
  • I would go back to the place that said they'd charge you $1,000, ask WHY and then tell them that other stores have said they can do the same thing for no additional charge. They may come down significantly. It's always worth trying to haggle :)
  • I talked to them Saturday and they said they didn' think they could do it but they just called me back and said they will do it for the original price =] Yay!
    Planning Bio
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    222image 50image 19image
  • I think it depends if they make a whole bigger ring (using more gold) or stetch out a smaller one (same amount of gold and its a little thinner).

I know getting my FI's large ring is making it cost the same as my smaller one even though only mine has diamonds.
  • I wear a 9 and my custom engagement ring was expensive because it was a lot of gold.  I'll happily pay extra to have my wedding band sized correctly, too - with gold added and not just thinned so that it'll wear quickly.
    Both are valid ways to size a ring, but like you find out, not everyone will be upfront about what they're doing.  $1000 is still way to much for that.  My 18k band/platinum head that was custom made for my diamond was only a little more. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards