Students

when to wed? before or after thesis?

Hi - I got engaged in December of 2008 and have yet to really start planning our wedding. Problem is, I'm doing a Masters degree right now and my thesis is due  latest Aug 2011 but I can also get it in by May 2011, to graduate earlier. I don't know when to set the date of our wedding! It is driving me crazy but I've always been bad at making decisions. My idea is to either - do it this year in Dec 2010 so that I'll have plenty of time to concentrate on the thesis afterwards, or get married in December 2011, once I've aready finished my masters. I already have a lot of ideas and we have the budget to do it in 2010, and I am almost impatient to just get the wedding done. I guess what I'm asking is, is wedding planning really very hectic and stressful, and time consuming, even if you have a wedding planner? If anyone out there is also doing a masters thesis, and planning a wedding, how are you doing it?

Re: when to wed? before or after thesis?

• When it comes down to it, just do what you think is best. It's a hard decision, but if you're feeling ready, just go for what works.  

The whole when to set the date thing was driving my fiance and I crazy.  He finally set a deadline for me to make a decision (since I really was back and forth about setting the date while at school or waiting until after).  We've decided to set the date for while we're still at school, but we also both recognize it will have an impact of school, so I am taking a lesser course load the next two semesters.  

It will probably get sort of crazy at times in the future planning.  It already takes quite a bit of time, but we aren't stressing over the little things in our wedding.  We're using planning websites like this one to help with guest lists/invites/budget.  Both of us also have really involved parents and supportive friends.  
  • 2008-2011 is a REALLY LONG time to be engaged. I mean, some people can do it. But I've been engaged since October, 2008, and am getting married in June, 2010, so that we can both finish our PhD coursework before the wedding... and I just don't know if I could wait any longer.

Of course, three classes I really need were all offered in the same (read: this) term, so things are a little crazy, but we're getting by: he's taken a lighter course load in order to be able to take on more tasks and chores.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am also in grad school (getting my M.A. and Psy.D.) and I felt that it has been easier on me to finish my M.A. before getting married. Although I am still working on my dissertation and won't be finished before we get married in July of this year, I feel that getting my M.A. before getting married was a great idea.

Although like others have said, in the end the decision is yours. I've seen several people in my cohort who have gotten married before and after their comps/thesis and everyone has their different opinions on what it should be done.

hope this helps and good luck with grad school!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards