New York
Options

Photographers/STD Cards vs. Magnets

Hi Ladies,

I posted awhile ago about a Venue near Rochester that allows outside catering. I had alot of good responses.. So thank you very much! Other than that I am moslty a lurker on this board... So i will give a quick intro to get myself re-introduced. I have been with my fiance for 10 years, and he proposed In Las Vegas this april. We are very excited about the wedding and so is all of our family and friends most of their responses when we told them we were engaged was "its about time!" We found a place that allows outside catering for an additional fee per person... (Sweet Briar in Geneseo) So far Will has been great to work with. My wedding date is set for 9/8/12. I have just started asking my bridal party. There is going to be 9girls/9guys... My colors are Lime Green and Gray. I found my dress at Running of the Brides in Boston a couple of weeks ago (which I just found out that is the last running of the brides) it was quite the experience and Im so glad I was able to do it).

So now Im on the hunt for a photographer. Does anyone have any recommendations for photographers in Rochester or that will travel to Geneseo? I like "photojournalist" photographers the best, I am currently looking into Photokisses, has anyone used her before? Getting the pictures on a CD with the photorights is crucial to me. I don't want my guests to have to pay $20 for a 4x6 from the photographer if they would like a copy.

STD Cards vs. Magnets
I have always liked the magnet save the date cards when i have recieved them in the past, it is such a neat idea. I use snapfish alot and I created a Save the Date picture card and they are only .38cents each with the envelope, some of the magnets I found were 2.50 each... I will probably need around 150 of them. Are the magnets worth it for the extra couple hundred dollars I would spend to get them or are the picture cards sufficient?

Re: Photographers/STD Cards vs. Magnets

• Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the great intro!

I don't have any advice on the Rocheter/Geneseo area, but for STDs, I think there's something really classy about a simple card.  Magnets are cute, but I just attach card STDs to my fridge with magnets I already have!  No big deal.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are using Chris Johnson from Static Moments photography.  He works out of Rome, NY but travels everywhere.
    STD Magnets - I love them!

We actually ordered two different versions from VIstaPrint!  Much cheaper than the price you were quoted from Snapfish! Good luck with both!
    221 Invited image
    185 Ready to Rock! image
    36 Party Poopers image
    0 Can't find the mailbox image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_photographersstd-cards-vs-magnets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:5b9e3603-78d2-41a0-a116-9ec761d2add5Post:5422679f-a88d-4f4d-92bb-bbe3b7a043e9">Photographers/STD Cards vs. Magnets</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like "photojournalist" photographers the best, I am currently looking into Photokisses, has anyone used her before?
    Posted by KG728[/QUOTE]

A good friend used her and wasn't happy with the photos. I was a bridesmaid and when we were getting ready the day of the wedding, the bride asked if any of us wanted breakfast. We declined but the photographer took her up on the offer and asked her to make her a bagel. When the bagel wasn't toasted to her liking she asked the bride to put it back in for a few minutes. I was horrified.

She has great reviews online though so maybe this experience was a fluke.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the re-intro.  It always helps, especially if you hhaven't posted in a while!!  Smile  Welcome back!

My photog was from Buffalo, but would definitely travel to ROC (heck, she traveled to Syracuse on the day of for me).  Tess Moran... www.tessmoran.com I have tons of pics and reviews in my "Mrs" bio in my siggy.  She comes highly recommended.

One piece of advice... think twice about asking your bridal pary this early.  Many girls have learned the hard way that this is not wise.  Maybe wait til after the holidays?

Good luck.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer was Dan from Photoemphasis (www.photoemphasis.net) and I thought he was great.  He is based in Rochester and travels in surrounding areas. 

I like magnets but I'm cheap - LOL.  If you haven't looked at Vistaprint I suggest doing that.  I ordered photo postcard STDs from them for super cheap!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MCTD31MCTD31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made my own STD magnets, all for around $35, and I really love the way they turned out. I'm also doing handmade invites, because I couldn't find anything I liked enough to buy. If you're crafty and have a little time it might be worth it. Also remember that you won't need one for every guest, just every household....if you need 150 then you've got to be having a pretty big wedding, or a lot of single guests.

I'm using AlterImage Studio for photography. They're out of Syracuse but I'm sure they would travel to Rochester. They offer rights to the photos and an instant slideshow for everyone to view photos during the wedding. They are usually at area bridal shows offering special discounted rates.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with an STD card instead of a magnet because it was cheaper. Everyone has them on their fridge anyway!

Also, I looked into a bunch of photographers (read: a hundred) so I could reccommend some to you, but it helps to know a budget range. My final choices were all around $3000 for a base package that includes a dvd and little to no albums. (Tess Moran was in this group). I could give you some more names if that is in your budget. I ended up with Leo Timoshuck from Syracuse. I love him and often just look at his website just to drool...

Someone else on this board used photokisses. I think Emie, maybe?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KG728KG728 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for all the adivce. I am definately going to look into the photographers that were suggested, and Im going to check out vistaprints for some magnets and see what I can find...

Chelsea... that makes me nervous, so far she seems nice, I havent made a commitment yet, the photographer is at the top of my list of importance so I want to make sure I know what Im getting myself into..

Monica... I had been reading on the board alot of comments about not asking the bridal party. So I  was holding off until 6/9 months before the wedding... but last week I caved into peer pressure, my friends and family have been hounding me to tell who I wanted to ask. My mom was upset that I was waiting until after the holidays, she said it was rude and I needed to give people time to prepare and save money to be in a wedding... So I asked the girls... My fiance on the other hand hasn't told anyone...

MCTD31... Id love to see some of the magnets you made if you don't mind showing me., I like to consider myself crafty. LOL I thought about making my own invites using Adobe Illustrator, but haven't decided if I want to get into that large of a project. How long did it take you to make the magnets? I went through my list and I think 100 should be enough STD.

Wheresmymind32... I would say Im in the range of $2500-$3000 I would consider going higher if they threw in something similar to the goof booth of photo booth. I want to make sure I have a photo taken of each person at teh wedding so I can send it to them in the thank you cards... (im sure it will be impossible to get everyone... But im determined to try)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Empire West Photo! We're very, very happy with them. Extremely talented, very reasonably priced, super responsive and they're very fun to hang out with.
  • Options
    MCTD31MCTD31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They didn't take very long at all, maybe 2-3 hours total. I bought some magnetic business cards from Office Max, created a template and ran them through my printer. I dressed them up with lace trim and three dimensional "lovebird" stickers I found in the scrapbooking section of Joann's. They are matte instead of the glossy magnets you'd get through Vistaprint, but it worked for the softer look I was going for. I love them....they are different than anything you can buy, and so much cheaper!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011
    Those are so cute, you did an awesome job!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KG728KG728 member
    edited December 2011
    Megan those STD magnets are adorable. Thanks for sharing.  I love the lace you added to them! I was thinking about doing picture ones... but now im wondering if I should get into a DIY project for the save the dates...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some photographers I found that I really liked:
    James Bass from Syracuse- he is throwing in a free photobooth if you book before the end of the year
    Jeffery Foote from Ithaca
    Natalie Sinisgalli
    Crystal Herry
    Erica Hasenjager

Some that cost a little more, but have a base package of around 3,000
    Tammy Swales
    Fellici Studios
    Alice G Patterson

One I don't recommend- Dee Marie from Rochester. My friend was in a wedding with her as the photog and she showed up without back-up equipment and had to wait for her husband to drive out to the wedding to bring her new equipment. She ended up missing most of the "getting ready" shots.

My recommendation is to ask for an example of a whole wedding so you can see how they capture the day and if they are consistent. It's easy to pick out a few great shots when you take a thousand, but it's more important to have consistently well lit, in focus, great angled photos. I hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_photographersstd-cards-vs-magnets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:5b9e3603-78d2-41a0-a116-9ec761d2add5Post:c3e0775e-13ff-4c3a-babb-9903951d5a06">Re: Photographers/STD Cards vs. Magnets</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some photographers I found that I really liked: James Bass from Syracuse- he is throwing in a free photobooth if you book before the end of the year <strong>Jeffery Foote from Ithaca</strong> Natalie Sinisgalli Crystal Herry Erica Hasenjager Some that cost a little more, but have a base package of around 3,000 Tammy Swales Fellici Studios Alice G Patterson One I don't recommend- Dee Marie from Rochester. My friend was in a wedding with her as the photog and she showed up without back-up equipment and had to wait for her husband to drive out to the wedding to bring her new equipment. She ended up missing most of the "getting ready" shots. My recommendation is to ask for an example of a whole wedding so you can see how they capture the day and if they are consistent. It's easy to pick out a few great shots when you take a thousand, but it's more important to have consistently well lit, in focus, great angled photos. I hope that helps!
    Posted by whereismymind32[/QUOTE]

Jeffrey Foote was actually my photographer!  I haven't put any pro pics up here yet because I don't have my DVD with the images yet, but send me a PM if you are serious about him and want to look through my online gallery. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    eieiochelseeieiochelse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE sweet briar. I photographed a wedding there last fall..was on Style Me Pretty blog:

I am available on your date! Email me of you want. :)

:)
    Chelse
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_photographersstd-cards-vs-magnets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:5b9e3603-78d2-41a0-a116-9ec761d2add5Post:5a65dc47-61d3-428c-90f9-8f69542da14c">Re: Photographers/STD Cards vs. Magnets</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE sweet briar. I photographed a wedding there last fall..was on Style Me Pretty blog: <a href="http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/gallery/3220" rel='nofollow'>http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/gallery/3220</a> I am available on your date! Email me of you want. :) <a href="http://www.glowweddings.us" rel='nofollow'>www.glowweddings.us</a> <a href="http://www.eieiophotogrpahy.com" rel='nofollow'>www.eieiophotogrpahy.com</a> :) Chelse
    Posted by eieiochelse[/QUOTE]
    Vendors are not allowed to post in this forum.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I ended up ordering the STD cards from Snapfish... they were about $45 for 150... with shipping and envelopes. I am happy with the way they turned out. Im not sure i know how to post a picture on here. lol 

So I finally decided on a photographer! Andy Buscemi!
     http://www.buscemiphotography.com/
    He was a referral from a friend.  My fiance and I met with him (we got a really good vibe from him, he has a great personality) we are very excited to do our engagement pictures! Ill post updates on how they come out...

Thanks for all the comments... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards