Oregon

Fresh Hops in Portland area?

This may seem crazy --- I just thought it would be fun to work fresh cutting from hops plants into my wedding flowers. Besides the fact that they are an important part in making beer --- they actually are very pretty and rustic.

I haven't gotten around to asking a florist if they can even get something like this yet. What I'm throwing out there to the other Portland, OR area brides --- does anyone know, or know of a farm where I can score some?

Re: Fresh Hops in Portland area?

• edited December 2011
    We had them in the arbor that was the center of the actual ceremony. It was awesome - wedding was outside at a vineyard so it all went together really well - the florist made a garland of hops and hydrangea. (My mom saved and dried most of it and still uses it)
    So yes, you can get them. Definitely from a florist, maybe from an actual hop grower? I know they sell hop wreaths in Mt Angel at Oktoberfest every year, so they're coming from somewhere!
  • 9doors9doors member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on the time of year. Hops grow all summer and are harvested in the fall, so if your wedding is in the spring/early summer(like mine is) fresh hops may not be available. I have been advised that dry hops are not a good option as they may stain clothing and are quite delicate. If hops aren't in season, it might be interesting to incorporate other ingredients used in beer such as barley wheat.
    Beer is a big part of our lives - so much that the Deschutes Brewery in Bend is our venue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards