Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What will you do (or did you do) with your gown?

I have always thought that it was silly to keep the gown buried in the closet...I've always assumed that I'd sell my gown.  However, now that the time to beging the gown process is here...I doubt I will want to sell it.  I am pretty sure that I'll want to keep it and pull it out to admire it years from now. 
As I scroll the net I see that selling pre-owned gowns is hotter then ever before.  Wonder what the majority of you ladies are doing.

Also- if you have bought your gown pre-owned, are trying to sell it or have any stories or advice on it- feel free to post.  I'm curious about the process and how successful it typically is.
=)

I really wish I could add to the poll!  I left out some really good options: donate the gown, shorten/change it for later use...great ideas ladies=)
judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.

Re: What will you do (or did you do) with your gown?

• Options
    I wrote TTD, but I really don't want to "trash" the dress...I'm going to try to do a "rock the dress" photo shoot where it doesn't get literally destroyed, and then keep it.  I doubt my daughter will want to wear it, but maybe she'll want the beading or other pieces of the dress, to add to her own gown someday.  Who knows?

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_will-did-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6716eb27-6bbc-40be-b2cc-c1d9d326ba79Post:0e5bf951-8a9d-4842-bfba-71e355972207">Re: What will you do (or did you do) with your gown?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wrote TTD, but I really don't want to "trash" the dress...I'm going to try to do a "rock the dress" photo shoot where it doesn't get literally destroyed, and then keep it.  I doubt my daughter will want to wear it, but maybe she'll want the beading or other pieces of the dress, to add to her own gown someday.  Who knows?
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

Thats cool!
    judge the non-traditional, pop their happy little wedding balloons... and sleep better tonight for you have made the world a better place.
  • Options
    I'd like to do a similar photo shoot to baystate's, and then sell it. I love my dress, but I also know that I'll never wear it again, and I'd love another bride to be able to have an awesome dress at a discount.
  • Options
    I'll try and sell it, and if nobody wants it then I'll probably donate it.

I actually haven't had it cleaned yet. If it just couldn't come clean for some reason (I doubt it, it's not filthy), I'd probably have it made into a christening outfit for our kids.

I might keep my veil and see if my sister wants it someday. We also have some friends getting married soon so maybe they would want to borrow it so they don't have to buy a new one.
  • Options
    There wasn't really a option for it - but I'm having mine shortened into a cocktail dress. Hopefully I'll be able to dye it, but I'm not sure yet; it's satin, and depending on how the satin is made apparently depends on whether it can be dyed.

I'd love to wear it on our one year anniversary, as we plan to take a Mediterranean cruise for it since we aren't taking a full blown honeymoon right after the wedding.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_will-did-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6716eb27-6bbc-40be-b2cc-c1d9d326ba79Post:b0213cab-7c44-4a6d-b631-a868338b33bc">Re: What will you do (or did you do) with your gown?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There wasn't really a option for it - but I'm having mine shortened into a cocktail dress. Hopefully I'll be able to dye it, but I'm not sure yet; it's satin, and depending on how the satin is made apparently depends on whether it can be dyed. I'd love to wear it on our one year anniversary, as we plan to take a Mediterranean cruise for it since we aren't taking a full blown honeymoon right after the wedding.
    Posted by prideeinpynk[/QUOTE]

Gosh, I'm sorry I didn't include this as an option in the poll- it's a fabulous idea!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm a crafter and I plan to 1. shorten my dress to maybe wear to a vow renewal ceremony at some point in time. 2. Take the remaining fabric and use in a memory quilt. 

• Options
    I'm custom ordering a Victorian gown, and since I'm a teacher, I will keep it to teach with. I think it would be great to show a "real" example of 19th c fashion.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm actually the opposite of you. I always thought I was going to want to preserve my dress and keep it for my kids. But now that I have my dress, I realize there is NO WAY my dress will be stylish enough when my kids are old enough to get married. So I want to do a TTD (but not actually trash it) then try to sell it.

I do plan on keeping my veil though. I figure that would be something simple and nice to keep for my daughter (if I have one, of course).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think I am going to try an d sell my m\Melissa Sweet dress, I splurged a little so I am hoping I can recoup some of the cost.  Although  now that I have actually purchased the dress I can see how it is going to be hard to part with it.  No sense in keeping it, we aren't planning on children, and even if we were they aren't going to want it.
  • Options
    I initially thought I would sell my gown, but when I brought it up to FI he seemed shocked that I would consider selling it.  That surprised me.  I really didn't think he gave a crap about what I did with my dress.

I'm really not sure what I plan to do anymore.
  • Options
    I also always said I'd sell it after the wedding but now that I picked the actual dress, I don't want to!

We'll see how I feel after the wedding :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_will-did-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:6716eb27-6bbc-40be-b2cc-c1d9d326ba79Post:0e5bf951-8a9d-4842-bfba-71e355972207">Re: What will you do (or did you do) with your gown?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wrote TTD, but I really don't want to "trash" the dress...I'm going to try to do a "rock the dress" photo shoot where it doesn't get literally destroyed, and then keep it.  I doubt my daughter will want to wear it, but maybe she'll want the beading or other pieces of the dress, to add to her own gown someday.  Who knows?
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

This!  :)  Although I really like some of the suggestions such as giving it to a charity for women in need...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My MIL is deconstructing my dress and making baby pillows and christening gowns out of it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My dress isn't a full length gown or particularly formal, so I plan to keep it for a few years and wear it to fancy occasions (not other ppl's weddings obvi). After I grow out of it, I'll probably save it for if and when I have kids. Then I'll turn it into little dresses or ensembles for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards