African American Weddings
Options

Songs/Music - Help!

Ok, I am procrastinated on this part of planning...help me! List out your songs or some suggestions pretty please :).

I am looking for Bridal Party Entrance into the reception (girls and guys)
Cake Cutting
Bouquet Toss (please, no "Single Ladies" LOL!
Garter Removal
Father/Daughter dance
Music for the dinner time (Old School R&B and Jazz??)

Who sings this song..here are the lyrics

"i'm gonna make you my wife, cause your my everything, all my hopes and dreams, come true"

It was in the movie "Waiting to Exhale". I think Whitney Houston was dancing to this during that New Years Eve Party Scene???

Re: Songs/Music - Help!

• Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am gonna bite off Tamtam's idea for the cake cutting - she came up with "Sweetest Thing" by Lauryn Hill. I absolutely love that idea!!

For the dinner time music, we are playing smooth jazz.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

For the cake cutting, I think we'll use "All My Life." Idk if it's a cake cutting song but I wanted to incorporate it some way. For the Bouquet Toss, I think we're using Independent Women" by Destiny's Child. We're using "Whatta Man" for the garter removal and toss. We're not having a father/daughter dance, but I'm dedicating a song to my entire fam (mom, dad, and older sis) and it's "Never Would Have Made It." HTH!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ladylumladylum member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I'm in the same boat. For dinner music, it's smooth jazz from Herbie Hancock, Yoko Kanno and Herb Alpert

1st Dance - This Day, This Minute Right Now - Mint Condition
    Mother/Son Dance - Shining Light - Annie Lennox
    Cake Cutting - ???
    Decided to skip the garter and bouquet toss.

Also since the wedding party is more or less separate, I am not doing an entrance for them. Still looking for an entrance song for us though . . . any suggestions???

• Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Borbin01, It's going to drive me crazy until I figure out that song!  I checked the songs on the soundtrack, but I can't figure out what song it could be.

@Cincy, I don't think I'm using the sweetest thing because the lyrics concern me now.  There's a part in the song that makes me feel like she was talking about a one night stand.  So I think I'm doing Sweetest Love by Robin Thicke.  But I really like the Lauryn Hill song. 
  • Options
    cincy2011cincy2011 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_songsmusic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:92791e31-c7b0-4a1d-8831-ee8286547dbdPost:78e81a49-1fa2-4e6b-8dd7-335355397606">Re: Songs/Music - Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Borbin01, It's going to drive me crazy until I figure out that song!  I checked the songs on the soundtrack, but I can't figure out what song it could be. @Cincy, I don't think I'm using the sweetest thing because the lyrics concern me now.  There's a part in the song that makes me feel like she was talking about a one night stand.  So I think I'm doing Sweetest Love by Robin Thicke.  But I really like the Lauryn Hill song. 
    Posted by tamtam7[/QUOTE]

Oh no!  You just killed that song for my wedding too!! LOL!  I never really broke the lyrics down like that....that's too bad, b/c that would've been awesome.  But the Robin Thicke song is a great alternative!  (I promise not to bite your newest idea!!!) 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

So I put on my investigating Hat. LOL

The song is by  Whisper titled "I'm gonna make you my wife"

I even found it on youtube.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPTw5HlUCg

I have so suggestion on the songs since I am still on Fi's back to get it done! I know for the cake cutting we are between Ingredient of Love (Angie Stone & Musiq)  and Sweetest thing as mentioned above

• Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Pas, I forgot about that Angie Stone and Musiq song.  I'm listening to it now.  That may work.  I may check some Jill Scott songs too for the cake cutting song, because she always have some love song involving food.

• Options
    amberlynnedamberlynned member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OMG I am glad someone asked this! FI and I are having the hardest time picking something!

Bridal Party Entrance
    ``FI insists on having "Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangster" for his groomsmen and I am still thinking about one for my girls

Cake Cutting
    ``We are thinking about "How Sweet It Is" by James Taylor

Bouquet Toss
    ``Ladies Night by Kool & The Gang or Can't Hold Us Down by Christina Aguilara

Garter Removal
    ``The Stripper by David Rose (the only one we've actually decided on)

Father/Daughter dance
    ``NO IDEA!!! My dad wants to do one of those surprise wedding dances so I'm kind of at a loss... especially because I have no interest in doing this at all LOL

Music for the dinner time (Old School R&B and Jazz??)
    ``We are doing a combination of laid back Hindi songs and some R&B and Pop stuff
    Creating Our Happily Ever After Countdown Ticker

Our Married Bio
  • Options
    Dollbaby357Dollbaby357 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't even thought about songs for anything else we just made a decision on the song we are going to dance to (I THINK WE SETTLED IT) if we do not change our minds it will be So Amazing by Luther Vandross, I was considering the closer I get to you but the part where it says "over and over again I tried to tell myself that we would never be more than friends' Is so not how our relationship is, there was another song we chose before also but there was a line in that one he didn't like can't recall what song it was.  We haven't found any complaints about "so amazing" yet and we both love the song.  I know we both love Jazz so we will probably go with Dave Koz "the dance album" or something similar.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    stdsxk13stdsxk13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Gonna Make You My Wife by The Whispers.

Bridal Party Entrance: Never Knew I Needed by Ne-yo
    Cake Cutting: Sweet Love by Anita Baker
    Bouquet Toss: Diva by Beyonce
    Garter Removal: baby girl, by Z-ro (he picked this)
    Not gonna do the father/daughter dance
    Music for the dinner time: A mix of old and new school R&B.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    awww man! Thanks PAS!!!!!!!!!!! I love that song!

Darn it!!! I'm still lost! :(((( I should have done this earlier this year! arrgh! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards