Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots?

Hey Everyone!
My FI and I are getting married on a farm in SC. The ceremony and reception will be in a barn, but we'll be taking a lot of pictures outside all around the farm before the ceremony, and a few after. So my question is... what does everyone think of BM's wearing cowboy boots? I think it goes with the theme of our wedding (and my FI grew up on a farm). I'm just not sure that heels are totally practical for the girls to walk around in all day taking pics. They all are ok with whatever I decide, and most of them already own boots, or want to buy them when we go to Nashville this summer for my bachelorette party. I know I'll be wearing them for some pictures outside, but I'll probably change into a wedge heel for part of the day too... What are everyone's thoughts... ??
196 Invited image
104 Ready to Rock! image
92 Party Poopers image
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots?

• We threw around the idea of doing cowboy boots, but not all of my girls own a pair. Three girls do, and two don't, so that's just another expense for them and they will probably never wear them again.

So, I'd say, If your BMs are OK with purchasing a pair of boots, go for it! Just keep their budget in mind. A good pair of boots will run them at least $80.00 on top of their dresses if you're not buying them for everyone. None of their attire can be a part of their gift, either.

IMO, short chiffon dresses look best with cowboy boots. When I say short, I mean above-the-knee because if it's any longer, the boots can make your legs look stubby. I've seen it look bad that way.

All in all, I think it's a great idea, and it can be done very cute!
  • I love the idea! I agree with PP, they'd look great with a knee length chiffon dress.
  • I think it's a cute idea, but I am also having my bridesmaids wear cowboys boots so... ha ha.... As far as the heels go, most boots have a thicker heel so it shouldn't be an issue. That is part of the reason we are going with them, comfort. :)

We went with strapless knee length cotton sateen dresses and they look cute. I asked my girls how they felt about it before hand and they all loved it. They were happy to have a reason to buy some. :)
  • I think cowboy boots look cute! If your BM who don't already own them plan on buying them anyways, I don't think you have to pay for them. If some seem hesitant at the cost you should offer to help pay. Depending on how expensive they are, I don't think you should have to pay for the whole thing, would they had to spend $30-40 on shoes anyways? I'm letting my girls pick their own shoes, my only requirement is that they are black and go with the dress.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-cowboy-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c491822e-454e-4ca1-8328-aba8cb805879Post:281f35fd-ead3-4921-8f22-28b30ff8ba0e">Re: Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]PP -- I hope you asked your bridesmaids individually about buying the boots, instead of all together. No one wants to be the 'spoilsport' in a large group and disagree. OP -- I reiterate my intial comment. IF you require the boots, YOU must pay for them for your bms. Or let them wear their own.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Yes I asked my girls separately and they were all very excited about the boots. I offered to pay and they all decided that they had already wanted to buy boots and now they had a reason. I understand your concern with this issue, but you already stated that the bride should pay once. I don't need you telling me as well. I did not ask the question, I was just giving my advise. I know the rules. People on these boards meal the rules very clear.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-cowboy-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c491822e-454e-4ca1-8328-aba8cb805879Post:201a6556-347f-4e2f-bffe-47fc091855cd">Re: Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I don't like the look of cowboy boots in weddings. If you make your bridesmaids wear cowboy boots, you must pay for them. Shoes are not included as part of the traditional "bridesmaid uniform" so they should be paid for by you and not the bridesmaid. If they already own them, then that's even better.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Ditto this 100%.. I'm not a fan at all of this look.

But if you're going to go ahead with it, you should be purchasing the boots for them to wear as it would be an extra expense they may or may not be ok with. They're all going to be nice and agree with you that it's a great idea, but it may not be how they truely feel.
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I think that's a cute idea! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-cowboy-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c491822e-454e-4ca1-8328-aba8cb805879Post:ae08bdec-d42b-4faf-98f1-25a6b4f08b24">Re: Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think cowboy boots look cute! If your BM who don't already own them plan on buying them anyways, I don't think you have to pay for them. If some seem hesitant at the cost you should offer to help pay. Depending on how expensive they are, I don't think you should have to pay for the whole thing, would <strong>they had to spend $30-40 on shoes anyways</strong>? I'm letting my girls pick their own shoes, my only requirement is that they are black and go with the dress.
    Posted by HeatherR45[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.  If you require a neutral shoe, most women probably already own a pair, so they wouldn't <em>have</em> to go buy new shoes.  If you require a shoe that they most likely don't already own, then you should pay for it.

In the OP's case, if some already own boots, or are 100% willing to buy some anyways, then it's okay, but if there's even a hint of hesitation, then the bride should pay.

OP - only you know the style you are going for, and only you knows if your girls are really on board with the boots, so if you feel confident in both those aspects, then go for it! 
    Anniversary
  • If they already own them/were buying them anyway, and you let them wear what they have (or want to purchase) instead of requiring them to go out and buy a specific boot, then I think it's fine, although the look doesn't really do much for me personally.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-cowboy-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:c491822e-454e-4ca1-8328-aba8cb805879Post:6ea83b03-5add-443d-b1c4-6f6a5c582689">Re: Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We threw around the idea of doing cowboy boots, but not all of my girls own a pair. Three girls do, and two don't, so that's just another expense for them and they will probably never wear them again. So, I'd say, If your BMs are OK with purchasing a pair of boots, go for it! Just keep their budget in mind.<strong> A good pair of boots will run them at least $80.00</strong> on top of their dresses if you're not buying them for everyone. None of their attire can be a part of their gift, either. IMO, short chiffon dresses look best with cowboy boots. When I say short, I mean above-the-knee because if it's any longer, the boots can make your legs look stubby. I've seen it look bad that way. All in all, I think it's a great idea, and it can be done very cute!
    Posted by CurlsNpearls12[/QUOTE]
    I have never seen a good pair of boots for $80.  My cheapest, most basic boots I have were $130.  <div>
    </div><div>Anyway, don't make your girls wear boots because you are getting married in a barn.  If it isn't you, it isn't you.  I don't get why this whole "country/barn" wedding stuff is such a big deal lately.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_bridesmaids-cowboy-boots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:c491822e-454e-4ca1-8328-aba8cb805879Post:bf3a41cf-b56d-48c2-900c-1f762a64de2f">Re: Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaids in Cowboy Boots<strong>? : I have never seen a good pair of boots for $80.  My cheapest, most basic boots I have were $130.</strong>   Anyway, don't make your girls wear boots because you are getting married in a barn.  If it isn't you, it isn't you.  I don't get why this whole "country/barn" wedding stuff is such a big deal lately.  
    Posted by Grits8812[/QUOTE]

Justin Gypsy boots.  Ha!  But I don't think "good" fits in the description with those.

And I agree with you on the barn stuff as well.  If it's not your personality, why are you doing it.  (see my new post titled cowboy boot annoyance)
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • I live on a farm and we're also having a rustic/country wedding. It's who we are. I wear cowboy boots everyday and honestly don't want to wear them to my wedding too. Good boots are too expensive for one day and are useless to your bridesmaids if they'll never wear them again. You should let your bridesmaids choose their own shoes. I'm having my 3 in the same dress but their own style hair, makeup, jewlery & shoes to show off who they are because the 4 of us are so different.

If it's who you are, cool. But don't make your bridesmaids waste money on boots.
  • Yes they were asked individually after 2 expressed interest about purchasing them on my bachelorette party since we are going to Nashville. They were given the choice of either cowboy boots, or whatever shoe they want as long as they are beige/champagne colored to match the navy dresses. They dresses are short and chiffon to answer some other people's questions... While I do really appreciate everyones feedback on this post sometimes I think people get a bit carried away with their responses and I don't think you mean to, but it comes off a little rude... Everyone knows their bridesmaids I think, and I would assume they do the same for them that they would want done if situations were reversed... They are the women closest to you... So saying you must do this or you absolutely can't ask them to buy this might be what etiquette says, but that's not how every wedding that takes place works. I've received shoes and jewelry as gifts for weddings, and had no problem with it. Just as invitation wording is no longer followed to a tee and people use untraditional ceremony music if they are getting married not in a church... Every situation is different.
    196 Invited image
    104 Ready to Rock! image
    92 Party Poopers image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love the idea! I'm doing the same. Some people are very rude! We are having an outdoor wedding and reception in barn. Boots fit great! :) and my bm will get there own boots but they love the idea so they don't care. :)))
  • ak20ak20 member
    First Comment
    people around here are so grumps.
  • Great idea. We are doing the same thing! Love BM's in cowboys boots. I am not having them buy boots that match. I'm letting them wear their own and 2 of the girls that don't have any are borrowing a pair from the other BM's!
    Some people are so rude. It's your wedding so do what YOU want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards