New Jersey - South

Venues in South Jersey (The Hamilton Manor... the Merion)

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the website and recently got engaged in November!  I am already looking for venues for an October 2011 wedding.  I am very concern because I have been looking online for SJ venues and nothing is really catching my eye.  I live in north jersey and feel there are just so many more options compared to south jersey. I will be having my ceremony in SJ and now i need to find a venue.  I recently found the Hamilton Manor online and they have my date available and i will be scheduling a visit sometime next week.  Has anyone been there or got married there.  There really aren't too many reviews on the place. 

Also, i'm considering the Merion in Cinnaminson.  I've been to a wedding there two years ago and it was really nice, but i feel it's like a wedding factory!  I want something more intimate.

Any advise would help!  Thanks much! :)

Re: Venues in South Jersey (The Hamilton Manor... the Merion)

• coraloccoraloc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm very familiar with the Merion having most of my high school dances there, and it's a fabulous venue, but they do host up to 4 weddings at a time.  If you're looking for something more personal, that's not a good option.

I had my reception at the Doubletree in Mt. Laurel and they did a phenomenal job.  Our cocktail room was simply awesome, and I was more excited about that than the dinner just because we hired a steel drum band & it was just so much fun.  Anyway, they do have one wedding at a time & the banquet manager is one of the most organized that I've come across.  She's wonderful & I highly recommend her. 

Let me know if there's any other venues that you're thinking about in the area.  I'm familiar with Burlington and Camden counties.

• shannon1787shannon1787 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm no help as far as experience with either of those, both look beautiful though.. when you get everything squared away with your date, come on over to the October 2011 board too! the girls there are fantastic.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Seaview in Galloway, NJ. Great, historic resprt. Place has a lot of character with a modern edge. I am booking my wedding there for June 2012.

Best of luck to you!
  • edited December 2011
    You could always try one of the wineries.  Tomasello or Renault seems really nice, and they might not have the "wedding factory" vibe you felt at the Merion.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp, Tomasello is nice. I went to a wedding there in October and everything was great.

I've been to 2 events at Merion Caterers. Yes, they have pretty good food (and lots of it), but they are truly a wedding factory IMO. I didnt like the way either event was handled..it was like being shuffled around like school children on a field trip.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I guess I don't get why people feel like the Merion is a wedding factory.  They have a ton of different events there.  I've also been to at least 3 different weddings there and none have had the same "vibe" or overall feeling.  I've also attended 2 Christmas parties there and a corporate lecture/dinner.  As someone getting married there in a little bit and who shopped around at venues all over I couldn't find any other location who provided so much for the money, was as personally attentive (nothing and nowhere beats the Merion's personal service), or that could personalize my wedding as much as I wanted.

I consider it a significant plus that the Merion has handled so many weddings and is so georgeous.  They have the experience and the capabilities to handle any event and anything that occurrs compared to most other places.
  • edited December 2011
    As for Tomasello winery.  The wine there is amazing.  That's about it.  The ballroom is below average, the food is "okay" and the set up for the bar and cocktail hour is significantly below average.  The ballroom is also small (I think tops at 135).  There isn't a bridal suite and the bathrooms were icky looking.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_venues-south-jersey-hamilton-manor-merion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:0ac4f219-c880-462c-b475-74ef222e5195Post:f3eff1b7-65f8-4957-a8e1-0c2bfdfc3e0d">Re: Venues in South Jersey (The Hamilton Manor... the Merion)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you looked at Seaview in Galloway, NJ. Great, historic resprt. Place has a lot of character with a modern edge. I am booking my wedding there for June 2012. Best of luck to you!
    Posted by Tarakelly25[/QUOTE]

Loved this venue =) It was just too far away for me. 
  • marianthebmariantheb member
    edited December 2011
    I know what you mean about the Merion; I thought it would be like that too but I took a chance anyway and it really turned out wonderful. The wedding factory aspect worried me as well but I was so pleasantly surprised that I did not see another wedding!

I live in Hamilton and the only worry I would have about the Hamilton Manor is that there is a bar The Cellar in the same building and it is always really crowded BUT it is really lovely and in a good location!

Where in SJ are you having your wedding? They just opened a place in my hometown Allentown NJ called the Ashford Estate. It is the same owners as the Mallard Island Yacht Club in LBI.Laurita Winery in New Egypt also looks very pretty

image 280 image 241 image 31 image 10 Making Us Wait
    RSVP Deadline: 10/2
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_venues-south-jersey-hamilton-manor-merion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:0ac4f219-c880-462c-b475-74ef222e5195Post:395eb566-e49f-498f-8a0a-8f20395eba1a">Re: Venues in South Jersey (The Hamilton Manor... the Merion)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I don't get why people feel like the Merion is a wedding factory.  They have a ton of different events there.  I've also been to at least 3 different weddings there and none have had the same "vibe" or overall feeling.  I've also attended 2 Christmas parties there and a corporate lecture/dinner.  As someone getting married there in a little bit and who shopped around at venues all over I couldn't find any other location who provided so much for the money, was as personally attentive (nothing and nowhere beats the Merion's personal service), or that could personalize my wedding as much as I wanted. I consider it a significant plus that the Merion has handled so many weddings and is so georgeous.  They have the experience and the capabilities to handle any event and anything that occurrs compared to most other places.
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

Its all a matter of opinion. I personally did not want to see 3 other brides on my wedding day nor do I want to do battle over taking pictures in the limited areas that they had. The funny thing is that we had my sister's graduation party there and it wasnt that bad. But I think whoever was the events director or whatever died, so the job got passed on to someone else. From there, thats when it went downhill. My mom actually went to look there again for my wedding and didnt have the best experience. We thought we knew why, so we sent someone else in to pose as a bride. We figured out EXACTLY what was going on at that point and decided to go elsewhere.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_venues-south-jersey-hamilton-manor-merion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:128Discussion:0ac4f219-c880-462c-b475-74ef222e5195Post:226be82b-e2d9-4c2c-a817-57619a75d497">Re: Venues in South Jersey (The Hamilton Manor... the Merion)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know what you mean about the Merion; I thought it would be like that too but I took a chance anyway and it really turned out wonderful. The wedding factory aspect worried me as well but I was so pleasantly surprised that I did not see another wedding! I live in Hamilton and the only worry I would have about the Hamilton Manor is that there is a bar The Cellar in the same building and it is always really crowded BUT it is really lovely and in a good location! Where in SJ are you having your wedding? They just opened a place in my hometown Allentown NJ called the Ashford Estate. It is the same owners as the Mallard Island Yacht Club in LBI.Laurita Winery in New Egypt also looks very pretty
    Posted by mariantheb[/QUOTE]

I second the Laurita Winery.  That place is beautiful.  The last time I was there (right after it opened) I heard they were going to bring in a chapel to hold wedding services.  Not sure if that happened as I haven't been there in a while since.  FI and I were really considering that as well as the Manor.  The Cellar in the Manor has it's own entrance around the back and really shouldn't interfere with your reception.

We are having our wedding and reception at Mercer Oaks.  It is a lovely golf course and the venue is very nice.  The service there is second to none!  I have been to events at Mercer Oaks and the food is excellent.  The event coordinator is amazing and the prices are unbelievable! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • marianthebmariantheb member
    edited December 2011
    I had my shower at Mercer Oaks and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! Such beautiful surroundings!

image 280 image 241 image 31 image 10 Making Us Wait
    RSVP Deadline: 10/2
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-new-jersey_venues-south-jersey-hamilton-manor-merion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:128Discussion:0ac4f219-c880-462c-b475-74ef222e5195Post:c63096d4-3d9b-4a92-9fd2-4f9ff0adafd7">Re: Venues in South Jersey (The Hamilton Manor... the Merion)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venues in South Jersey (The Hamilton Manor... the Merion) : Its all a matter of opinion. I personally did not want to see 3 other brides on my wedding day nor do I want to do battle over taking pictures in the limited areas that they had. The funny thing is that we had my sister's graduation party there and it wasnt that bad. But I think whoever was the events director or whatever died, so the job got passed on to someone else. From there, thats when it went downhill. My mom actually went to look there again for my wedding and didnt have the best experience. We thought we knew why, so we sent someone else in to pose as a bride. We figured out EXACTLY what was going on at that point and decided to go elsewhere.
    Posted by 2010Bride2be[/QUOTE]

Wow how shady of you to have someone pose as a bride. You do know their showing appointments takes time and money for them, right?  Your response just sounds ridiculous and paranoid.

As for seeing other brides and waiting to take pictures, none of my friends who got married had that issue (one got married in June and the other in October....the wedding months).  Also, I don't know who the events coordinator was when your sister supposedly had her graduation party there but everyone I've worked with....from Cliff, to Lee and especially Cathy has been amazing.  No where else that I worked with had customer service of this magnitude and ability to get me everything I want.

=) I'll also have the whole Merion to myself on Friday.  Such a factory.
  • edited December 2011
    How about The Mansion...I went to a beautiful wedding there over the summer
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards