Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Inviting children

I have a huge family and am having trouble drawing the line on guests due to our venue size.  If I invite some children (1st cousins with small children) but not all children (in town friends, friends from out of town that are not close family) is that ok?  I assume many of them will not bring their children anyway, but I just don't have room for all the kids if they did

Re: Inviting children

• Options
    My suggestion is to make a cut off.

We invited the children of our cousins but not the children of our friends.  This helped us cut  back a lot.
  • Options
    There should be a clear cutoff either by age or by relationship, that way you have that to fall back on if people complain.  We chose to invite only the two infants in the family and no other children.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I agree. Either make a cut off by age or relationship or just do no children period.
  • Options
    Most would invite no children or all children.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_inviting-children?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e664bf14-f965-496f-a352-cd8e998f59b9Post:ca291a94-b91e-4264-93b2-3c9b400980db">Re: Inviting children</a>:
    [QUOTE]Most would invite no children or all children.
    Posted by loop0406[/QUOTE]

That's one of the dumber rules I've heard.

I don't make a cutoff for all or no friends, why extend it to kids?
  • Options
    Thanks - your advice makes me feel better about what I wast thinking of doing.  I think children of family, but not friends should work!  Especially since all the family with children will be coming from out of town.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    We've come to just about the same conclusion, however, here's the twist.  Children of family (no friends' children) but only age 12 and older.  Since ours is an evening wedding, we think that might work.

Honestly, we might change our minds ... again!  Ha!

Good luck with this!
  • Options
    We are inviting immediate family children and wedding parties kids, thats it.  No friends kids, so far its been ok
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree, I really think the distinction for me is whether or not the parents would be unreasonably burdened in leaving their children at home.  My cousins who live 6 hours away will surely be bringing their children (all under 10, some new babies), especially since they each have 2-3.  They can't drop them at grandma's house because my uncles and aunts are obviously invited as well!  It would be rude for them to leave them with my aunts and uncles-in-law, who are NOT invited, since that just rubs that in their face.

I would not be inviting children of anyone who plans on driving home after the reception, because I figure they can handle leaving their kids with a sitter for the evening.  For those who do need to bring their kids, I plan on having a basement room at my reception location for the removal of crying kids, and for the entertainment of them as well (with a paid sitter).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards