Canada-Ontario

Where to start???

OMG... ok, I'm a wedding cater waiter who has no bride-gene. 

Where do I start? I don't have an idea about what season I want, I don't know if I want an afternoon party with no dinner and dancing or do I want the evening party with a sitdown dinner and a dj.

I'm really outgoing but having ppl make a fuss over me is something I just dont like.

Where can I go to see start to end ideas of weddings.  I want to be able to see some videos of the big days.

Re: Where to start???

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Breathe... you can do this! :)

For the date, I'd narrow down based on the availability of critical guests. I chose summer because I have cousins who are still school-age, and I wanted to make it as convenient as possible for them. Think about your immediate families and your potential wedding party members, and then narrow it down to a couple of months.

To decide what type of wedding you want... just think about the best parties you've been to, and what kind of party YOU want. Do you like dancing? Do you prefer formal parties or relaxed get togethers? Be sure to get your fiance's thoughts. This should help you narrow down your vision. Don't worry about details yet, just figure out the overall feel you want.

Then, based on all of this, I'd start looking for a venue. It'll all fall together after that.

Once you've figured out your date and venue, start browsing your club board. I found it really helpful to chat with people who were at the same stages of wedding planning as me. The local boards are also really helpful for keeping you on track and providing recommendations for vendors.

You could, of course, just plan a simple destination wedding. That's what my friends did once they realized that they simply could not get their act together to plan it.

PS. I am going to PM you. Click "Private Messages" on the left side bar to check your messages.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Correction, I can't seem to PM you at this time. Could you please email me when you get a chance? knottie.ringpop@gmail.com. Thanks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Also don't forget to figure out your wedding budget as soon as you can, since it will affect everything that you choose, including your venue, how many guests you can afford, etc..

The Knot Checklist was a huge help for me as well in terms of breaking everything down and letting me know what I should probably be doing next.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out some blogs for inspiration!
    My favourite is
    http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/

You can check out my blog too, I'm documenting my journey to planning my wedding. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I felt very similar to you when I first started planning. Go and buy some local magazines and start flipping through. You should get some gut reactions to stuff that other people have done (such as, "OMG what was she thinking?!?!" or "wow, that is really tasteful/unique/creative etc.) This can help you to narrow down some answers to your questions without even thinking about it. For example, if when flipping through you hate having long bridesmaid dresses, then you probably want to stay away from fall/winter wedding. Good luck and don't forget to enjoy it! (it's fun! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards