Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

What to ask?

Hi Ladies!
I'm meeting with a potential photographer tomorrow and making a list of questions to be sure to ask. What are some questions to be sure to ask a wedding photographer? I've looked at some general lists that I found on google. But, I'm wondering if there was anything you came across when you were interviewing photogs. Any advice will be appreciated!

Re: What to ask?

• izzyjenniizzyjenni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The number one thing is that they ask you questions too.  We were happy to hear about their experience, why they got started in photography, what is the best thing about being a photographer, etc.  Things about what you get with a package, how many photos will they take, what is their style of photography, are they flexible with packages, will their be an assistant photographer with them, do you get to keep your digital negatives,  is there extra or hidden charges, what do they plan on wearing, have they done a wedding at your venue/church.  BUT make sure you feel comfortable with them and that they want to get to know you to. I think the nicest thing is when they ask how you met and how you got engaged.  If they fit all your criteria for price and style, don't forgot to get a feel for if you click with them or not.  Do you feel comfortable with them being a major part of your big day by being there to capture your most initimate and cherished moments?   If not, then move on to the next interview with a new photographer.  We interviewed 5 people before we chose one.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is my list:
    What is your approach to wedding photography?
    How do you consult with the bride and groom before the wedding?
    Do you shoot with digital or film?
    If digital, will the prints be of archival quality?
    How many exposures will you take at our weeding?
    Is there a limit to the number of exposures?
    How many hours of coverage are included?
    How many photographers would we get?
    Do we get digital copies of the pictures?
    How many digital copies are included?
    Are any prints included in the package?(Do you do your own developing?)
    How much are additional prints?
    How long do you keep the negatives?
    Do you put together a wedding album?
    Who exactly will be photographing my wedding?(Can we pick the photographers we want?)
    Are the photos we are seeing done by the photographer(s) we would have?
    Do you charge for travel?
    What if our reception cite is different from where we are having the ceremony?
    Does travel time cost in the hours of coverage?
    What is the balance between posed and candid shots?
    Do you bring any backup equipment?
    What happens if you are sick and unable to shoot the wedding?
    How soon after the wedding would the prints/CD be ready?
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    edited December 2011
    Wow DRD...that's damn good list!
  • drdifabiodrdifabio member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I collected questions from a lot of different places!
    I made one for a caterer, ceremony, hotel clock, reception site, and transportation as well if anyone wants any of them just page me!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advise and questions ladies!

Izzy you are so right about clicking with them or not, he met our budget and style criteria pretty well and seemed to be a very nice guy overall but didn't seem very interested in us in general. I spent probably about 90-95% of the time talking and asking questions, and even when I asked if he wanted to know anything about us (even general questions about our wedding) he didn't have much to say. I can't say it's a deal breaker, but doesn't make me too excited.

Drdifabio, thanks for the list, it was very helpful! I would love to see your caterer and hotel questions, they're next on my to-do list :). My address is mrs.anderson.in.2010 at gmail.com if you want to email them.
  • edited December 2011

IMO you should totally be excited to work with your photographer.  We interviewed SIX and we knew right away when we met Cadence she was going to be our photographer.  I think personlity and their interest in you as a couple is very important.  They are taking pictures of the most important day of your life!!  If it seems like they don't care and you aren't getting a great feeling about them, I wouldn't hire them.  Again, that is my opinion :)

• edited December 2011
    I agree with PP. We met with six photographers, as well.....we liked a couple, disliked one, some were so-so....then we met with Britt and instantly clicked with her. If you're not comfortable with your photographer, your pictures aren't going to let your personality shine through the way that they should. Who did you meet with if you don't mind me asking?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We definately plan to check out more photographers.  Photography is near the top of our priority list. 

The guy we met with today is the guy I asked about before on here, his company is Hickey Photography.
    To be perfectly fair we've had little personal interaction with him I don't want to discourage anyone from looking into his services (who knows, today could've been an off day, or a number of other factors could've influenced our meeting).  Actually overall I'd say it was a good meeting, he's a nice guy, he's had pretty good communication and has been receptive to my emails and questions.  We'll still be considering him but I do want to be sure to meet with others as well.
    I am kind of wary about some things that came up at our meeting, but I'll probably post questions about that in a different post when I get a chance because I'd like some opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards