Arizona-Phoenix

Worth the work??

Ok!! So I am on a budget and don't really have the extra money for flowers as a centerpiece. What I had in mind was this....

Our wedding colors are black and red
I bought some red, square vases from Michaels will add some black sand then I wanted to use some of those pieces of grass looking things you know that have the twirl at the top (haha, I have no idea what they are called) spray paint those black and glittery maybe even break them in half so they aren't so long

Also I am going to make some "cake pops" Four different flavors, coveringthem in white chocolate and milk chocolate, I have tried making them, they come out so cute and aren't as hard as I thought it would be. Id place them in the sand inside the vases so everyone can have some.

Heres  an example of the flavors:
Devils food cake, chocolate frosting, covered in milk chocolate with minced up m&ms on the bottom

Milk chocolate cake and frosting, covered in milk chocolate with minced up reeses pieces

Lemon cake and frosting covered in white chocolate covered with red sprinkles

Strawberry cake and frosting covered in white chocolate covered with sugary sprinkles??

They come out really cute! I am going to do a trail run and put the pictures on here... Is anyone going to do edible center pieces??

should i try a different flavor or add another one? We need to make enough for another 150 people??

Re: Worth the work??

• alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Sounds like a really cute idea to me, I look forward to seeing pics.  The only thing I would worry about DIY favor/centerpieces is how far in advance you think you could make them?  I wouldnt' want to be doing all the making the day before when I expect to be busy running around doing other things. 
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well, the recipe says you can make them and freeze them before hand, and it is alot easier to dip if they are frozen. My godmother also said to bring them over to her house since she has a huge kitchen, dip them there and let them sit to firm up then friday morning  the bridesmaids and moms will help wrap them in the cellofane and put the ribbons on. They will be ready to go by friday afternoon. We are getting married on saturday so I don't think itll be too bad. But the week of I will probably be going insane! lol!! I think its a really cute idea too! And cheap!! I mean a box of cake right now is on sale at Safeway for about 68 cents... :)
  • edited December 2011
    Okay I have been trying to do cake balls on a stick (AKA cake pops, lollicakes, etc) for like a month now but can't figure out how to get the stick to stay in them! I want to do them as favors.

Did you roll the balls, put the stick in, then freeze them (before dipping) or did you freeze the balls first then put the stick in?!?

I would limit yourself to like 3 flavors, for the sake of your sanity...
  • jabecknerjabeckner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a cute unique idea. Also keep in mind because they are kind of little and there are multiple flavors, some people may want to try more then one. So I would make sure to have more then just 150 of them. I would even dare to say maybe 100 of each flavor. That might be a little bold, but gives everyone a chance to try a few flavors?

Jolie on the Run Wedding Countdown Ticker
    132 Invited image
    38 Can't wait to party image
    0 Don't like fun image
    94 ? image
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want cake now!  Is this instead of your cake, or in addition to it?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I think it is a really cute idea!  I don't think you need a large amount of flavors.  Making a doubling up on batches of 3-4 flavors would be easy and limit the dishes!  I think that the 4 flavors that you have listed above would be plenty!  Good luck.  Make sure that you post pictures when you make your samples!
    11/6/2010
    Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_arizona-phoenix_worth-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:71Discussion:22463801-e12f-40c5-b9e7-c1accfea3f7dPost:b6f286a1-dde2-46cc-b883-8c36a32fc92e">Re: Worth the work??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay I have been trying to do cake balls on a stick (AKA cake pops, lollicakes, etc) for like a month now but can't figure out how to get the stick to stay in them! I want to do them as favors. Did you roll the balls, put the stick in, then freeze them (before dipping) or did you freeze the balls first then put the stick in?!? I would limit yourself to like 3 flavors, for the sake of your sanity...
    Posted by Cola1511[/QUOTE]

Chill the balls first (do not freeze), dip stick in melted candy, put stick in ball.  I've never had a problem with them not staying it, especially after the outside candy melts (that cover the ball) have solidified.
  • edited December 2011
    Well, to answer the question, I froze mine first, then melted just enough chocolate for pop sticks, dipped them into the melted chocolate then into the frozen cake ball, then froze them... Worked Perfectly!! :) Thanks for all the feed back. I am looking forward to checking out the finished product :)
  • edited December 2011
    Nilla, it is in addition to our cake. I am really worried about the cake too because the person that was going to do it flaked out on me!! :(  They aren't really sweet or anything, I love them!! :)
  • sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's a cute idea. I agree with PP though, if youhave multiple flavors you need to have a large enough quantity for people to try more than one. We are doing cupcakes for our wedding in 3 different flavors and they said to plan on 2.5 per person (some will have 2, some 3... you get the idea...

P.S - the sticks are called curly willow - we are using that in our ceremony decor :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards