Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Keratin hair treatment

Hi I would like to get my hair to look healthier and smoother- I have heard about the keratin treatment, but its so expensive to get done at the salon! Is there something that I can get at- say, Sally Beauty supply, etc... that is cheaper, that i can do at home?  I have thick hair thats frizzy, and very dry!  I do strighten it alot, but it seems to just kink right up. Any suggestions will help. Thanks!

Re: Keratin hair treatment

• Options
    There are ones that you can do over the counter, but it's not going to be the same affect.   You have to have a titanium flat iron (and those alone cost $200).  If you have an Ulta near you, they have the best priced Keratin treatments I've ever found.  My Ulta charges $195 for the first treatment, and then if you get other treatments afterwards (6+ months out) then it's $250.  Most salons charge $300+. 
    I've had 3 Keratin treatments... and I really like them.  But having them done professionally does make a difference. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options

If you're thinking about getting a keratin treatment just so your hair looks good on your wedding day, then don't waste your money. I have had this done before, and the main benefit is that it's "permanent", although it grows out in much the same way that a perm does. So your roots grow in frizzy while the ends of your hair are weirdly straight. It does work REALLY well, and it's great if you have super thick hair, because it makes it appear to be about 1/3 or 1/4 of its actual volume, but all of these benefits can be achieved by getting a proper blow out with the right products. I LOVE Chi infrared treatment. I put it in my hair before I blow dry (if I blowdry, I usually let it airdry over night) and then use it afterward with a CHI flat iron. Trust me, it's just as good as keratin, but without the commitment/cost/ridiculously long time int he salon chair.
    Good luck!

Kelly

• Options
    I have had it done before and if they do not straighten your hair pin straight from root to end it would not work at all . Be carful I would not do it on my own. However , when it is done right it is awesome ! Laughing
  • Options
    @KeaterBeater--you're talking about the Japanese Thermal Straightening Treatment, which is permanent.  The only way to get rid of that is to grow it out, and it seriously damages your hair. 

Keratin treatments are absolutely not permanent, nor do they STRAIGHTEN your hair.  They smooth it out.  That's why it's not called a Keratin Straightening Treatment, it's called a Keratin SMOOTHING Treatment.  What the Keratin does is infuses your hair with protein, making it stronger and healthier. And it's less frizzy. It also makes it much easier to style. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options

The Hair Cuttery now offers them for around $100. I went yesterday to investigate and you acn read all about it on thier website. If I give in to my curiosity and try it I will let you know the results.
    If you were coming in the fall I'd brush the summer by...Emily Dickinson imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would be careful with keratin....it looks nice but there is a lot of news about the fumes being bad for you since it's typically made with formaldehyde....i did it because I thought it was a "healthier" option for my hairand then I learned more about it....I would suggest doing some research before getting it done.
    I couldn't tell you the day that I fell in love...but fall I did...head over heels in fact...Can't wait until I marry the love of my life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards