Hawaii

Maui vs. Kauai

I would like to hear from anyone that has been to either island both islands for that matter.  We are getting married in March 2013 on Oahu.  Then plan to island hop to either Maui or Kauai...we have never been to either and are not able to make a trip prior to wedding.  So please advise..which island should we do and why do you think so?  Thank you for any input!
Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Maui vs. Kauai

• We just got married in Maui....loved it for the awesome quiet beaches, amazing food, and quality rooms.  Its NOT cheap though...average meal at a mid range restaurant is $30+.

Our friend went to Kauai the week later, said there were a ton of squatters, but the island is very lush.  Less development as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I recently spent a week in Maui (we got married there) and a week in Kauai after. They both have a completely different vibe. 

We thought Maui had better restaurants, more shopping, it has black sand beaches, the road to Hana is fun. Kauai is very lush and much more laid back, great hiking, and Waimea Canyon.  They both have beautiful beaches and lots of activites. Maybe if you tell us what you want to do we can give you a recommendation based on that. I actaully don't remember seeing any squatters in Kauai, but it is less developed. We stayed in Poipu and what we saw a lot of were chickens. 

I would go back to both, but we liked Maui better. 
    Anniversary
  • My fiance and I travel to Hawaii every year (sometimes more than once a year) just because we are on the west coast and take advantage of the close distance...

Anyway, I must say that my favorite island is Maui. We go to Maui every year, but I have gone to Kauai several times. It is much more secluded, quiet, and more lush. Definitely can be more romantic since it feels like nobody is around sometimes. It can be like that on Maui, too. When we stayed at the Wailea Marriott, it was great! Only because they have an inifinty pool for adults only and it was pretty much quiet the entire day we were poolside.

On the other hand, you can be adventurous on Maui more than on Kauai.

So, depends on what you're looking for...but I suggest Maui more than Kauai since you have both options...adventurous and relaxing!
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did both Maui and Kauai on our most recent trip last summer. They're both great (and I dont remember seeing any squatters at all). Kauai is definitely way more chill than Maui is. Both are gorgeous and have great places to eat. (Josselin's on Kauai is probably my favourite restaurant on the all the islands.) What are you in to doing for fun?
  • We decided on Maui mostly because of weather.  I also want to "whale watch" and Maui is by far the best island to do this!  Thank you ladies!  I had to reseach this for FH and he really likes to hear what others think!  Your opinions definitely helped in deciding!Smile
    Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We vacationed on Maui then returned for the week of our wedding, after which we went to Kauai for our HM.  Having been to both, I can say that we loved them both for different reasons, and we both agreed that you can't compare them (although it's natural to try).  They both offer different amazing Hawaiian experiences.

Maui is a little more traveled by tourists, and Kauai is a little more off the beaten path and laid back -- but they're both Hawaii, so still both very relaxed.  Maui has a balance of development and fun outdoor activities, and Kauai probably leans more toward outdoor adventures (think hiking, kayaking, etc).  But still, Maui has great hikes (and a volcano!), and Kauai offers a good amount of shopping and nice restaurants.  Kauai s surrounded by a coral reef, so there's great snorkeling, but the currents were worrisome and you have to be careful to not get too close to the coral, while the snorkeling on Maui is easy and beautiful and the beaches plentiful and easy to navigate.

Check out the books Maui Revealed and the Kauai Guidebook.  Same author, and he's independent so no bribes for good reviews.  He hasn't led us astray yet.

We're actually going to the Big Island next, and I can't wait to learn about how it's different and still uniquely Hawaiian.
  • I just got back from Maui and Kauai. I love them both for different reasons. I like to chill at the beaches in Maui and I am more adventurous in Kauai (ATV tour, Napali coast boat tour, Ziplining, hiking, off roading to Polihale park for the most beautiful Sunset I have ever seen). Kauai is lush and just so majestic! You will have a great experience at both islands. I stay on the west side in Maui and the East side in Kauai.

For to PP, CarrieOz_76 visiting Big Island, check out the Manta Ray boat experience! amazing!
  • TBNinaTBNina member
    First Comment
    Love both.  Kauai is more laid back and feels more tropical and remote to us.  Maui has a little more night life and has a lot more resort type areas.  We didn't want to feel like we were in a tourist hub so chose Kauai for that reason. Some of our guests are doing Maui before or after the wedding.
  • edited June 2012
    Whale watching is the same regardless of the island. I live on Kauai and during the migration you can see whales breaching from most any south shore beach; in fact, people cruise on the cliffs to count them for some study or other. Kauai is amazing if you love the great outdoors. To me, a beach is a beach, but then again I have the luxury of living with a beach in all directions. I think if you're only concerned about hitting the sand, then it doesn't matter. However, if you're looking more into activities then Kauai is amazing for hiking and nature-sight seeing and Maui is more for other types of activities like wine tasting or going out dancing, etc.

I do have to warn you, my wedding was supposed to be March 2013 but I moved it back to June because this past March we had the WORST rain EVER on ALL islands, not just Kauai. I would say it rained three out of four weeks. March is during our rainy season.
  • I go to Hawaii about everyother year to 3 years, as many times that I"ve been there I only go to Maui and Molokai to visit my family but, I"ve been to Oahu once. Since you are going to be getting married on Oahu I suggest Kaui, Maui and Oahu of course different but have the same "vibe" very touisty and constant moving. Even though I"ve never been to Kaui I know that it is more laid back then Maui would be.
    He stole my heart... So I'm stealing his last name.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_maui-vs-kauai?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:05bbe07b-1a75-412b-bb20-9870956b0daePost:4d192b46-b176-4563-8abd-7c9e37d93758">Re: Maui vs. Kauai</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whale watching is the same regardless of the island. I live on Kauai and during the migration you can see whales breaching from most any south shore beach; in fact, people cruise on the cliffs to count them for some study or other. Kauai is amazing if you love the great outdoors. To me, a beach is a beach, but then again I have the luxury of living with a beach in all directions. I think if you're only concerned about hitting the sand, then it doesn't matter. However, if you're looking more into activities then Kauai is amazing for hiking and nature-sight seeing and Maui is more for other types of activities like wine tasting or going out dancing, etc. I do have to warn you, my wedding was supposed to be March 2013 but I moved it back to June because this past March we had the WORST rain EVER on ALL islands, not just Kauai. I would say it rained three out of four weeks. March is during our rainy season.
    Posted by msmajor[/QUOTE]

Very true March is rain season so be sure to have a back up plan if you're having an outdoor wedding. I was on Molokai March 2011 for a family reunion, we camp when we do this and it started pouring down rain randomly! Anyways, if you do choose Maui you can go to Hana were the waterfalls are, the hike is a tough one especially if you go in March the road will be muddy, unless they finally paved it. It's beautiful in Hana.
    He stole my heart... So I'm stealing his last name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards