Colorado-Denver

sounds silly but addressing invites?

Okay, so I just got my invitations in and have to send them out asap. I am struggling with how to address the envelopes - what do most people do? Calligraphy? Print on labels (or is that tacky)? I have no idea and need to get working on it asap. totally my fault for not researching sooner. Can a place like Kinkos do printing on the envelopes? any ideas/ suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Re: sounds silly but addressing invites?

• chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    while calligraphy is the traditional way to address wedding invitations, I've received several invitations recently where the bride has used labels. 

I got married last year & couldn't afford professional calligraphy but didn't want to use lables...so I printed the addresses on my envelopes in a really pretty font (light gray) and then wrote over that in a calligraphy pen.  Looked fancy but was still cheap :)

Good luck!
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • mizjodimizjodi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about calligraphy, but hand-written is considered the proper way, and labels are considered tacky. Get some friends together, and fh, and have an addressing party!
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • spongejenspongejen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't think labels are considered tacky anymore.  maybe 5 years ago, but TONS of people do them now.

i used a really pretty script font on labels, but i used a fancy corner punch and stuff so by the time i was done, they didn't look like labels anymore.  plus, my envelopes were vellum so i couldn't write directly on them anyway.  i say do what you can afford and like.
  • mizjodimizjodi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just a thought, isn't writing it by hand cheaper than buying labels anyhow?

It also shows respect when one writes it out; you've taken the time to individualize the invites. You're taking time to say "hey, you're important enough to me to write out your name and address, and I want you at this celebration."

:) HTH!
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • v3ronv3ron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_colorado-denver_sounds-silly-but-addressing-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:59Discussion:2fe91749-b489-4d8b-8269-b566472a7f83Post:7d7badf6-9270-42ce-a42b-5010eebe6255">Re: sounds silly but addressing invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i don't think labels are considered tacky anymore.  maybe 5 years ago, but TONS of people do them now. i used a really pretty script font on labels, but i used a fancy corner punch and stuff so by the time i was done, they didn't look like labels anymore.  plus, my envelopes were vellum so i couldn't write directly on them anyway.  i say do what you can afford and like.
    Posted by spongejen[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with this.
    This is ONE of the things I wish I wouldn't have worried about so much. I hand wrote mine since I didn't want to spend the money on a calligrapher.
  • TiffanyCMU5TiffanyCMU5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally took each envelope and had caligraphy printed on them directly through my own printer.  Saved me a ton of time and money and looked just as great as if someone wrote on them by hand.  No one cares if you write on them, use labels, or print on them directly.  They are enevelops and are thrown out as soon as people get them.  Whatever you chose to do will be great and people will love that they got an invite in the first place!

Hope this helps,
    Tiffany
  • edited December 2011
    very true. we ended up doing the same thing. put each invitation through our home printer and printed in a calligraphy style font. they came out great and didn't cost a thing. thanks for all the feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards