August 2013 Weddings

Is it tooo early to buy a Wedding Dress now???

Since im getting married on August 17, 2013...i not only have a few pounds to shed but i thought a year was way to early to already have tried on and purchased my dress...maybe im wrong but i see alot of us August Brides have commented that they already have their dress! Im getting nervous now...should i be out trying them on and getting ready to purchase???  HELP ME PLEASE SOMEONE LOL

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

Re: Is it tooo early to buy a Wedding Dress now???

• RailWayWifeRailWayWife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    I am personally waiting a bit longer to go dress shopping. Someone had pointed out to me though that it might be wise to go start looking this August as they will have "summer" styles out. I think most people go at the 12-8 month mark and we are getting there so I would say go ahead and start shopping, at least get an idea of what you are looking for. :)

Good Luck
  • I think everyone goes dress shopping at their own pace.  You don't really have to order unti 6-8 months out, but some people want to start looking right away.  You definitely don't have to be out trying on and purchasing a dress now.  I personally got engaged on Chistmas Eve and I haven't tried on any dresses yet.  I've been looking online and in magazines to get an idea of what I may like, but I probably won't start dress shopping until August.  I feel like there's no rush at this point, but if I don't have a dress by the end of the year than I'll be getting worried.
  • I am waiting to go end of august I already know what two dresses I want and i am hoping atleast one of them looks great on me.. but They are the same dresses I have liked since day 1 when I looked online at davids bridal 9 months ago so I dont think Ill change my mind and I just wouldnt get it altered until it was closer to my wedding. plus they say it can take up to a few months and I dont want to worry about my dress not coming in on time
    Anniversary

TTC starting 8/2014 :)
    My Ovulation Chart

• Definitely not!  I used to be a bridal consultant and girls came in all the time up to two years before their wedding date.  I bought my dress in February and it arrived today (2 months early actually)!  So excited.  Just do not change your mind and do not get it altered until 2 months before the wedding.
  • tirathemrstirathemrs member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012

You ladies have calmed me down thanks lol...I was getting worried but i think ill stick to my initial plan to either start actual dress shopping anytime between August and December especially since i plan on losing at least a good 40-50 pounds (my personal goal) and that way the dress will look so good on me LOL....And also not to forget but dress styles change sooo often they might have even prettier dresses by the end of the year

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• SD210SD210 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

Misstira, we are date twins and I face the same issue that you do - - I want to lose 40-50 before the wedding next year. 

I've decided to hold off until Dec. 2012 or Jan. 2013 to go dress shopping.  The ladies on the Attire and Accessories board say that you can usually alter a dress down 2 sizes without impacting the structure or integrity of the dress.  Hopefully, by January I will already be down some, so that the remaining weight loss will be within 2 sizes of my Jan. weight.  Of course, each dress is different and I plan on getting input from the dress salon as to which can be altered without problem.  Regardless, I'm ordering a dress in the size that I am at the time I buy it because I do NOT want a situation where it is too small.  That would be a nightmare!

Good luck and happy dress hunting!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tirathemrstirathemrs member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_is-it-tooo-early-to-buy-a-wedding-dress-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:8f5cb2a9-9c03-4391-8745-a8c6b573f6c9Post:ad0c67f4-a8e0-401d-b9ec-44e7e8e36eca">Re: Is it tooo early to buy a Wedding Dress now???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Misstira, we are date twins and I face the same issue that you do - - I want to lose 40-50 before the wedding next year.  I've decided to hold off until Dec. 2012 or Jan. 2013 to go dress shopping.  The ladies on the Attire and Accessories board say that you can usually alter a dress down 2 sizes without impacting the structure or integrity of the dress.  Hopefully, by January I will already be down some, so that the remaining weight loss will be within 2 sizes of my Jan. weight.  Of course, each dress is different and I plan on getting input from the dress salon as to which can be altered without problem.  Regardless, I'm ordering a dress in the size that I am at the time I buy it because I do NOT want a situation where it is too small.  That would be a nightmare! Good luck and happy dress hunting!
    Posted by SD210[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>HAPPY TO MEET A DATE TWIN!!</div><div>And yeah im gonna wait because i refuse to be overweight barreling down the aisle lol...but it never hurts to go online and look at all the beautiful styles...now im just getting impatient waiting on Dec (2012) and Jan (2013) lol...AND HAPPY DRESS HUNTING TO YOU AS WELL!!

</div>

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• MS0710MS0710 member
    First Comment
    Go when YOU want to. It's completely a personal decision. I bought my dress a year ago... My MOH wanted me to look and I ended up falling in love with a dress. Since it was a past-season dress, I was afraid it would be discontinued so I went back and purchased it
    Adopt a shelter pet

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I am getting married on August 24, 2013 and I just bought my dress last week. I got a Casablanca dress and they said that designer takes at least 6-8 months for the dress to come in. I would just be cautious of how long in would take for the dress to come in since I wouldn't want to stress about it coming in too close to the wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_is-it-tooo-early-to-buy-a-wedding-dress-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:8f5cb2a9-9c03-4391-8745-a8c6b573f6c9Post:943baa53-4687-4c74-8a41-dea6268d347b">Re: Is it tooo early to buy a Wedding Dress now???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am getting married on August 24, 2013 and I just bought my dress last week. I got a Casablanca dress and they said that designer takes at least 6-8 months for the dress to come in. I would just be cautious of how long in would take for the dress to come in since I wouldn't want to stress about it coming in too close to the wedding day.
    Posted by babes15[/QUOTE]

<div>That I understand but i need to really drop some lbs before i go and find my perfect dress soo in the meantime ill wait it out and try later this year</div>

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

• You can always start looking and not order. I have my dress picked out, I've tried it on and I'm in love with it - but I'm not placing an order until mid-November (which is about as close as my mother, who works in customer service for a bridal gown company, is  willing to let me cut it to order!), because I'm working on losing about 25 pounds for my wedding and my dress, which is all lace, won't be easy to alter. I'd like to be at my goal weight, or pretty damn close, before I order it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• I do not think so - because I have already found my dress. =)

Even though you are going to look at what styles look good on you, does not mean you won't be buying one!

I went to go see what styles would look best on me (so I would know what type of dress to be looking online/in magazines for). Well, I ended up falling in love with a discontinued dress. It was the only one in the store and it fit me like a glove. So, I bought it (WAY earlier than I thought I would be buying one!).

It is defintiely a personal decision
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i bought my dress 5 months before my wedding , and there was still  enough money to prepare for my dress  , don't worry ,everything will be okay. there are many new styles ,so i think i will be glad to get a fashionable ,appreciating dress ,good luck .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards