Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

classical music help needed!

I'd like something other than Wagner's Bridal Chorus to walk down the aisle to. (Not because I dislike Wagner, I actually really like him, but when we were kids we used to sing "here comes the bride! Fair, fat, and wide! See how she waaah-aaaad-dles from side to side!" And now that's all I can think of when I hear it)

I was thinking maybe Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 no. 2. (link!) Is this appropriate for a wedding? I know Chopin had kinda a rough life and I'd hate to find out later the song is actually about something miserable.

But I'm also open to suggestions. I was thinking something from the Romantic period, but I also do like Mozart and Haydn.

Also, if we do something not-standard for the processional, would it be weird to stick with Mendelssohn for the recessional? I like how grand it sounds!

Thanks for the help!

Re: classical music help needed!

• edited December 2011
    Honestly, who cares what he wrote the piece about?!  If you like it, use it.  It's a beautiful piece.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

• gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i LOVE chopin....go for that one! =)  its definitely a happier tune, so i can't imagine its about something horrible.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi,
    I am (almost) a professional violist (one more month!).  I regularly play weddings and am getting married myself in June.  I wouldn't worry about what the piece is "about".  The Wagner bridal chorus is basically a prelude to a massacre and that's played at about 70 % of weddings. My music is going to be the Haydn D major cello concerto. There is a pretty good Rostropovich recording on Youtube if you want to listen.  In my opinion, your music depend on what instrumentation you have, i.e. do you have a pianist, a quartet, a trio, brass quintet. For quartet I would listen to Beethoven opus 18's (there are six quartets in there) and Mozart Six Celebrated Quartets.  Meditation from Thais (Tie-eese) by Massenet is also a good bet.  One thing to think about is approximately how long you will need it to be.  It is easy to put repeats in the music, but your musicians just need to know to do it.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats krmn! I love the viola! <3 I'd be graduating now too if they hadn't cut the music ed. program....grrr! I'm voice though, so I don't quite know all the nuances of instrumental stuff. I could probably figure out the repeats though (and hooray for a practical applications of years of music theory!)

We're just having a pianist/organist. It's actually kind of worrisome, since it's through the church and they have a few that they use, but only one of them is great. Of course we requested her, but they said they can't guarantee us anything. My parents went ahead and paid for it with the church deposit before I could mention otherwise, but I was going to talk to my two accompanists and see if either of them would play, since they are brilliant but oh well. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thanks for everyone's input! Smile
  • edited December 2011
    How about Prince of Denmark by Clarke?  Listen to it - it will likely be familiar once you hear it. Or Pachelbel's Canon in D.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards