Jewish Weddings

chuppahs

why is it so difficult if not impossible to find a nice/pretty but affordable chuppah?  you'd think in the NY metro area there would be tons of options.  looking for ideas, suggestions, share notes, etc.  prefer not DIY since there are just too many other things to deal with in the days leading up to the wedding.

Re: chuppahs

• edited December 2011
    Ditto, but given the day, I'm okay with expending some of my funds to have a nice looking one.
  • eeeteaeeetea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    but they can run thousands!...people only look at it for 20 min or so, then what will you do with it?  wouldn't you rather allocate $ for music, photography, flowers for the main reception, or other more lasting/impressionable elements of the occasion?
  • RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My suggestions:

1.  If you haven't already, talk to your florist (if you're using one).  Most florists know how to make chuppahs and they can range very greatly in price depending on how much you want to spend.  My florist had a very simple hand held chuppah for I believe less than $100, but she could also make free standing chuppahs that cost more depending on how many flowers you want on it.

2. Contact shuls, Jewish community centers, etc.  Many have chuppahs that they may let you rent.  If you or your paretns belong to a shul then they may even let you borrow their chuppah for free.

3.  You could even post an ad on Craig's List - I know it might sound weird but I actually found a designer to make me a lace bolero from Craig's List for an affordable price - it can't hurt to try.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kimhomeloanskimhomeloans member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the party rental company you are getting your linens from. That is were we are getting ours. Smile
  • edited December 2011
    You can go from simple to elaborate.  My sister had someone make hers.  She had it framed after, but I know when my nieces were born, she wished she hadn't so they could use it at their naming ceremonies.  I agree you shouldn't spend thousands, but you can definitely use them again and/or make them a family heirloom.  I've seen friends just use a nice, simple cloth, or a tallit.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto everyone else.  My chuppah was a lot more than I thought, but it certainly wasn't thousands - if all the quotes were super high, then I'd have opt for handheld.  I debated back and forth but I really wanted something free standing for the pictures and ceremony; I'll consider it a gift to myself.  :)

There are also online rental companies, but you can certainly just buy poles (look for used ones online if you can't rent one or find one at a local synagogue), and then just find something really lovely for the top portion.  You can really get creative.
  • sayrahtsayraht member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

have you asked your florist? if i can find a florist that has a chuppah to rent and decorate in Austin TX i'm sure you can find one in NY! she's doing the supports and my mom is providing the canopy.

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We made our chuppah, in part because it would save us more money than many of our other DIY projects and in part because it was something we could do way ahead of time, leaving little to do at the last moment.  (It is the one in my icon.)  However, if you are not up for that, you might look at:

• Your florist

• Local synagogues

• Party rental stores (They tend to have ones at $100 or less.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards