New York-Hudson Valley
Options

crowne plaza suffern vs. pearl river hilton

Hello- wanted to see if anyone had reviews of either of these hotels for room blocks. Both have similar pricing so we are having a hard time choosing between the 2 of them. Thanks!

Re: crowne plaza suffern vs. pearl river hilton

• Options
    bridaljoybridaljoy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know they just  renovated the Crowne Plaza and I heard it looks amazing.  But the Hilton is also great (that is where we had our room block).  Which hotel is closer to your venue?
  • Options
    tstegertsteger member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I used the Hilton for my October wedding.  Here is some of my input about their room block.
    Great for the price, a regular priced night vs the room block rate is awesome.  They have a great online tool to track who is booking and how many rooms are left.  The only glitch I ran into was that I didn't block enough rooms.  We had to wait until the deadline to see if any other weddings had leftover rooms.  We were able to free up a few more.  People love to procrastinate, so it drove me crazy when I said it's going to fill up, and people didn't reserve.  Thank goodness we were able to add extra rooms last minute.

Everything was great though.  Rooms were wonderful.  I had my entire wedding there, I had the bridal suite, and 2 other rooms comp'ed.  I'm not sure if that was for having the wedding there, or booking the room block.  Either way, service here is top notch!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! Both are equal distance from my reception in Stony Point so distance isn't the issue. 

TSteger, how many people did you have at your wedding and how many rooms did you block? I don't like how you need to guarantee and ask for a certain number of rooms beforehand. I know it's a small hotel and there are 3 sales reps selling blocks, so the fact that we may not have enough rooms is a concern.

We saw the Crowne Plaza and it's GORGEOUS. The only problem is that the bar is in the lobby and I'm afraid we would get into trouble. The Hilton seems like it has a great bar and people wouldn't get yelled at if they got a little loud. 
  • Options
    tstegertsteger member
    edited December 2011
    I had 185 people and blocked 30 rooms.  we ended up with 37 i think.  The bar was great.  They stayed open till 2 for us.  And yes, they kinda expect the weekends to get a little loud with the weddings!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if you had originally chosen 40 rooms, would you have had to pay the difference?
  • Options
    tstegertsteger member
    edited December 2011
    Im not 100% sure.  I think we had to commit to pay the difference if there was a certain percentage not booked.  I'd just come up with a scenario.  like i block 40 rooms, and 36 are booked....what happends.  

A friend of mine used the Holiday Inn in 'orangeburg without having any of the confusing commitment stuff.  i was pleasantly suprised by the hotel,  and it will be just as far as the hilton would be.

but id come up with a scenario just to ensure you understand.
  • Options
    JamieD1211JamieD1211 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my wedding at the Hilton Pearl RIver this coming April.  Out of 30 rooms in the block we have to commit to 15.  If less than 15 rooms are reservedwe have to pay for the remainder.
    BabyFruit Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    we chose the holiday inn in orangeburg for the reason you were saying. People at the Hilton just rubbed me the wrong way.  They were very vague with commitments and how many rooms to get shuttles and such. It's beautiful, But the Holiday Inn people were so helpful and friendly so we went with them so we didnt have to stress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards