Wedding Reception Forum

Beach Theme but ceremony and reception not on the beach.

My fiance and I are thinking about having a beach theme without getting married on a beach. We live in Oswego, NY and can't afford to have a destination wedding, or go to Long Island. So we wondered if it would looky tacky and weird to bring the beach theme to our wedding reception. Our reception is indoors. We'd like our ceremony to be outdoors, and maybe by the lake or something like that. We're wondering whether to kick the beach idea or whether to keep it. 

Re: Beach Theme but ceremony and reception not on the beach.

• My cousin and her H sail and they had a beach themed wedding (and we aren't on the beach).  It was a church wedding/hall reception and on each of the tables as centerpieces, she made sandcastles (she used a mold she bought online and mixed glue and sand together).  It was cute.  I don't remember how all she incorporated the beach theme, but I think if that's what you want then do it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hmm that is a tough one...I think if that is what you really want then go for it. However, I do think it seems out of place. Are you honeymooning at a beachy place or did you meet somewhere beachy? I am just trying to think of ways that you could tie in the beach theme without it just looking misplaced.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I think a subtle beach theme would be okay, but I wouldn't go all out on the theme.
  • Here's my .02

Match your theme to your venue....If your venue is a formal, english tudor sort of place, then go with a formal english feel.  Similarly if your venue is a light, airy, contemporary feel, embrace that as well with a more modern style.

Unless you start with a blank slate s to speak at a place, nothing looks more tacky than trying to change a venue to match your style.  You have to spend big bucks to achieve it.  The location always wins
  • Maybe instead of beachy go more towards the nautical style in regards to colors and patterns.  This may translate a bit better then a beach theme in a non-beach area.

• I would make it more abstract than literal.  I have yet to see any literal theme pulled off well.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm doing a beach theme and we're indoors. I think it's totally ridiculous to match your theme with your venue. You should have it be however you want or envision.
  • If you want me to be completely honest, I wouldn't do it. I think the beach theme only works if the wedding is actually on the beach or with a view of the beach.
    5/27/12
  • There's no wrong answer here, but I'll be honest I just find beach themed weddings that are not at the beach kind of...sad. The beach is a place, not a theme...like when people do a NYC theme in Idaho. Weird.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_beach-theme-but-ceremony-and-reception-not-on-the-beach?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:f3cbd85b-74ca-4069-9335-35b60b0fd0c5Post:a2abd6c5-7f57-4b36-9ea1-a8ebc02c30aa">Re:Beach Theme but ceremony and reception not on the beach.</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's no wrong answer here, but I'll be honest I just find beach themed weddings that are not at the beach kind of...sad. The beach is a place, not a theme...like when people do a NYC theme in Idaho. Weird.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

This. So much this.
    5/27/12
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks guys. We've decided to nix the beach theme, because it really would feel out of place. So now I'm off hunting for a new theme and new colors... 
    SmileThanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards