Gay Weddings

Wedding date vs anniversary

Good morning! I love reading all the posts on theknot, they've helped me so much so I'm gonna through my ? out there. My wife to be and I originally planned our wedding for 4/13/13 and to go to Iowa, we live in Missouri, the week before to get legal. We would use the 4/13/13 date as our wedding date and anniversary. But it's taking forever to get here and I'm ready to make her my wife now! If we just run off now and get legal, which should be our anniversary date?

Re: Wedding date vs anniversary

• OMG i feel the same way but we have to build patience with our loves. I would love to just run away with my honey and never look back but then i want all the hard work and anticipation to bring forth the excitement that i know will be build up for our special day..we are looking at a Oct 2014 wedding and yea it sounds so far away but i am having a blast planning all the little things that are going to incorporate us in our wedding. 
    Personally i would wait so that 4/13/13 can really have a special place in your heart. Not only that but you will have all the previous days to reminisce on as well..Congrats and good luck to you both.
  • I would wait but that's just my honest opinion. I know it seems way off but it's much closer than it sounds and you have put so much time, energy, etc into making it your dream day. It will be worth the wait :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_wedding-date-vs-anniversary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:44Discussion:b076bcdc-199d-41cb-95a5-0e0a81d715f0Post:53cee27b-5191-48d3-a517-86cd55b4211d">Wedding date vs anniversary</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good morning! I love reading all the posts on theknot, they've helped me so much so I'm gonna through my ? out there. My wife to be and I originally planned our wedding for 4/13/13 and to go to Iowa, we live in Missouri, the week before to get legal. We would use the 4/13/13 date as our wedding date and anniversary. But it's taking forever to get here and I'm ready to make her my wife now! If we just run off now and get legal, which should be our anniversary date?
    Posted by Mctaerin[/QUOTE]

Most couples feel this way, even the straight ones.  Just try to be patient and wait for your wedding day.  If you decide to go "get legal" now, it defeats the purpose of your wedding.   It's very similar to the couples on the other boards who get married so they can get insurance, and then have a big pretty princess day later, because they missed having their wedding date.

Going to another state to get legal the week before the wedding, of course, makes sense since you can't get married in your own state.  But, getting legal now, and waiting 6 months to have a wedding re-do, is sort of "AWish". 

Be patient. Plan your wedding, have an amazing time.  April will be here before you know it. 
  • My little opinion is the day your wedding is legal means nothing. You can celebrate any day as your wedding. My fiance and I are having our ceremony on the date we want to celebrate as our anniversary because that's the day we want to remember and cherish. The day we go sign some papers is just another day of paperwork...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • I would just be patient and wait till April, it will be here before you know it. As far as your anniversary is concerned, your wedding day is a party to celebrate your marriage, therefore that is when I feel your anniversary should be. My fianc and I will be legally married two days before our wedding day as well.
  • I would also say, just be patient and wait until April.  My fiance wanted to get married this October when  visited Iowa for wedding planning.  (I'm from Iowa, so the wedding will be there).  I told her no way...  we are waiting until our actual wedding to get married!!

If you wait untl April and get legally married in Iowa on April 4th, but have your wedding ceremony on April 13th.   Then I would celebrate your anniversity on the 13th.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards