Students

calling all nursing students!

it seems there are a ton of us on TK..i was just curious what type of program everyone is doing. RN to BSN, diploma, BSN, advanced degrees, etc..
and what kind of nursing they are/want to do
5/27/12

Re: calling all nursing students!

• Hi, I mostly stick to NEY, but I just graduated with my BSN this month :)

At this point I want to work anywhere I can, but end up in peds. I also am planning on going back to school in the next 1-2yrs for an advance degree. 
  • FI is going back for his RN in the local CC and will do a completion course online... he's a non-traditional student and is likely to stick with pre-hospital care.
  • I'm actually doing RN (ADN) to BSN.  I'll be able to transfer all of my credits to any UW school I want, so I'll be able to graduate from college with my BSN as a Badger :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in a BSN program. I will be starting in August, and planning a wedding for next June.
    I'm scared about juggling both.
    Sweetpea Loves Sweetiepie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:2c9ac7e2-3843-4e0b-a597-36a121ca66db">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in a BSN program. I will be starting in August, and planning a wedding for next June. I'm scared about juggling both.
    Posted by princsheather[/QUOTE]

for most schools the first year is just gen ed classes like chem, anatomy, history, etc. so you will probably be fine. i know my freshman year was all classes like that and nothing nursing related so it was easy peasy.

there may be schools that start clinical off the bat, but i've never heard of any bsn programs that do. either way though because it's the first year i definitely think it is the best year to have picked to juggle both!
    5/27/12
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:b3d35fa5-408f-4d37-91d5-4f1952d5f872">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: calling all nursing students! : for most schools the first year is just gen ed classes like chem, anatomy, history, etc. so you will probably be fine. i know my freshman year was all classes like that and nothing nursing related so it was easy peasy. there may be schools that start clinical off the bat, but i've never heard of any bsn programs that do. either way though because it's the first year i definitely think it is the best year to have picked to juggle both!
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

<div>Jaycee is right.  But make sure you pay attention in your anatomy classes!  They can really be a challenge if you don't take the time out to study and go to open labs and what not!</div>
    Photobucket
  • Just got accepted into the RN program coming out of high school! Super excited for it and excited to start wedding plans! I hope to go into labor & delivery.
  • Hey everyone,

Just a quick question on the same subject; I've already graduated with my BS in Biology and want to go back for nursing, but can't decide if I should wait until after my wedding next June (2012). I'm really excited to go back but I'm afraid I won't do as well if I'm distracted with wedding plans. Did anyone juggle both? Any recommendations? I need to send in my apps soon if I want to start this fall.

thanks!
  • My program is a mixture of students straight from hs getting their bsn and people with other degrees who joined half way through at the clinical point. I'm assuming whatever program you go into will start you out at clinicals because you already have all of the gen ed completed. I think it would be possible to do wedding planning while going to school, but definitely tough! Also, our program had the 2nd degree students go straight through the summer (which would be the summer you're getting married) so that would cause you problems if yours is the same.
    5/27/12
  • mnsearsmnsears member
    First Comment
    I'm a BSN at UNC Chapel Hill and loving it! Our wedding is in August and I graduate in December. It's getting a little tricky to juggle with the wedding getting closer, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! I'm working two nursing assistant jobs, going to school, and planning this wedding, and my advice to anyone is to have great support people. My mom, FMIL, and wedding party have been amazing. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:0b1bf1e2-9312-4647-90c6-f8aa32028405">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey everyone, Just a quick question on the same subject; I've already graduated with my BS in Biology and want to go back for nursing, but can't decide if I should wait until after my wedding next June (2012). I'm really excited to go back but I'm afraid I won't do as well if I'm distracted with wedding plans. Did anyone juggle both? Any recommendations? I need to send in my apps soon if I want to start this fall. thanks!
    Posted by KFitzy7716[/QUOTE]

Even the most stressful nursing programs (14 month completion, other degree to BSNs) can't be worse than med school... might be the same, but CANNOT possibly be worse
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:8361bd04-62f1-479c-bc1c-44723beec0d6">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: calling all nursing students! : Even the most stressful nursing programs (14 month completion, other degree to BSNs) can't be worse than med school... might be the same, but CANNOT possibly be worse
    Posted by SteveandKris[/QUOTE]

?
    5/27/12
  • SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    she was asking about wedding planning + nursing school.

my intention was to point out that several of us were able to be interns/medical students and plan a wedding... even the most intense of nursing programs aren't more intense then the clinicals of medical school

EDIT: spelling and clarity
  • I start the final year of a BSN program in the Fall, graduate in May 2012 and am planning a wedding for June 30th 2012 =)
  • edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:8b912711-9db8-42c0-90d0-e90c8e57f4fe">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]she was asking about wedding planning + nursing school. my intention was to point out that several of us were able to be interns/medical students and plan a wedding... even the most intense of nursing programs aren't more intense then the clinicals of medical school EDIT: spelling and clarity

I'm not disagreeing considering I know nothing about med school clinicals. But I am curious, so if you could elaborate that would be great.

Oh and I don't think they are really comparable anyway being that med school is the graduate level, and nursing school is undergraduate level.
    5/27/12
  • I am in a bsn program at UTA in Texas, I'm doing my basics right now but getting close to clinicals and I'm really stressing. Our program is so competitive, I'm retaking classes just so I'll have the A :( My passion is neonatology, but I'm also really drawn to l&d and peds. Hoping to get an internship and residency at our local magnet childrens hospital in the next couple years
    Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:5c396bfd-e8c0-4ba9-8c48-78e659643ed0">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: calling all nursing students! : I'm not disagreeing considering I know nothing about med school clinicals. But I am curious, so if you could elaborate that would be great. Oh and I don't think they are really comparable anyway being that med school is the graduate level, and nursing school is undergraduate level.
    Posted by jaycee7389[/QUOTE]

Med school clinicals are up to 80 hours a week.  (Especially during surgery, OB-GYN and critical care)  Up until this coming year, shifts could be up to 30 hours in length.  Nursing shifts, especially student shifts (speaking locally for the SE PA region) are 8-12 hours.  Yes, its a long day, yes, you're on your feet and yes, you have to study, but its completely doable. 
  • mnsearsmnsears member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:f9f57379-e300-400d-8132-9f5c9f95d873">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: calling all nursing students! : Med school clinicals are up to 80 hours a week.  (Especially during surgery, OB-GYN and critical care)  Up until this coming year, shifts could be up to 30 hours in length.  Nursing shifts, especially student shifts (speaking locally for the SE PA region) are 8-12 hours.  Yes, its a long day, yes, you're on your feet and yes, you have to study, but its completely doable. 

You may dismount your high horse now.
  • SteveandKrisSteveandKris member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_calling-nursing-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:66dd0a6c-ec03-48c3-8ef9-6a9b064e7c05Post:d18ed70d-0894-42e6-a74e-d9bdd131fd9c">Re: calling all nursing students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: calling all nursing students! : You may dismount your high horse now.
    Posted by mnsears[/QUOTE]

I'm not on a high horse - the OP asked if its possible to manage nursing school and wedding planning. 

My responses have indicated that the clinical demands of nursing school are similar to a medical service shift in medical school and certainly less then being on a surgical service.  There are several physicans here who managed to plan a wedding during medical school.  There should be no reason the OP can't handle the requirements of nursing school and wedding planning.

EDIT:  OP - you can private message me if you have any further questions - good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards