Not Engaged Yet
Options

Bigger or better engagement ring?

My boyfriend is set on getting me a Tiffany's ring. While he can only afford a .5 carat there, (we're still in college) I'm thinking I want something bigger than a .5c for the price he would pay at Tiffany's. So what's better or more important?
A great  smaller ring at Tiffany's that could be a heirloom in the future or a good larger ring that also could be handed down but wouldn't have as much value as the Tiffany's??

Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you going to want your daughter, granddaughter, etc, to sell it when you pass it down?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What's more important is what the ring symbolizes.
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Monetary value shouldn't be a factor in an heirloom, period.  There should never be an intention of selling something that is intended to be a family heirloom. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If he gets a ring from Tiffany's all he's going to be paying for is the name - no one can tell just by looking at a ring that that's where it's from.

If it's going to be an heirloom piece why do you care so much about it's value? Unless of course you expect the people you hand it down to to sell it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    rickylee244rickylee244 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm still stuck on being able to afford a Tiffany ring in college, or any sort of engagement ring that size in college

Cost is not important - it could have been a pipe cleaner ring for all I cared, its about what it means
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Photobucket
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tiffany = totally overrated. They don't own the market on nice diamonds.

Don't waste your money.
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tell your BF that he's being silly.  Tiffany is over-rated.  If you're ready for marriage, and have had the conversations, then sit down and talk to him about what you want.  Let him know that it doesn't need to be from Tiffany's and that what's more important is what it symbolizes and the commitment you're making to each other.  

Also, FYI, if there's a specific ring you two are looking at you can often take the design to another independent jeweler and get them to re-create it/tweek it for you.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As everyone else has said, it's the meaning behind the ring that's important.  But assuming you know that and just want to talk about jewelry:

If you can "only afford" a 0.5 ct ring from Tiffany's, I'm guessing that you're not rolling in it.  In that case, it does not make any sense to purchase a ring from Tiffany's.  There will be no added value to the ring because it is from there.  In fact, as soon as you buy that ring, it won't even be worth as much as you paid for it.  Like cars.

If you are concerned about money you should be thinking about how you can get that 0.5 ct ring from another store with a lot less money.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never understood the allure of Tiffany's. Speaking of....what happened to BlueBoxBride?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    seriously? Diamonds come from one major place usually, your paying for the name. I wouldnt want anyone to pay for a name. By a conflict free diamond!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, why wouldn't a diamond appraised the same as a Tiffany's ring be a wonderful heirloom?

Diamonds are often removed from settings and passed down, so your $10,000 solitaire setting just went down the drainpipe.

My FI made an investment in my stone (non-Tiffany's!) because we hope our ring will be passed down through our family. But it's not about the actual ring. If you are asking how to best use the money (which is something you and your BF should discuss together) I would absolutely recommend getting a setting you like and purchasing a certified diamond with the grades of your choosing.

However, NEITHER is BETTER or more IMPORTANT. That's just ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:6f0fed58-e804-4831-8938-3d28a82f1d7f">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If he gets a ring from Tiffany's all he's going to be paying for is the name - no one can tell just by looking at a ring that that's where it's from. If it's going to be an heirloom piece why do you care so much about it's value? Unless of course you expect the people you hand it down to to sell it.
    Posted by sapphirebaby926[/QUOTE]

This x 1000000000.

My e-ring and wedding band are both heirloom jewelry (though the wedding band is technically one ring that I'm having made into a different ring to match the e-ring so I'll have a matching set).  My e-ring is from 1941.  The specs on the diamond are .1 carat, visible included flaws, I color, brilliant round cut, set in platinum and white gold.  By far not the most amazing diamond on the planet, and the entire ring is worth less than $1K.  It still sparkles though, and I love it more than anything because it was a family heirloom and it didn't put FI and I into debt.  And I got an absolutely unique ring.  I figured this was how everyone would feel about getting an heirloom piece, so why worry about the value?

.5 carat is plenty big enough IMO, but everyone is different.  My best friend would not accept less than a full carat.  If you really want a larger diamond, I would look elsewhere than Tiffany's.  You'll get more for your money as what you're paying for their is the brand name and not necessarily the jewelry for a good portion of the total.

The size of a diamond or the brand of a ring does not make it better over another one.  However, as for which is more important, that is ultimately up to you and FI, but I would say the quality of the diamond as a WHOLE, not just its size, is most important, and definitely more important than the brand name.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    As the other ladies have said, what's important is the meaning of the ring, not how big it is or what it cost. This is one of those questions that just gets to me. I feel like some people have been brainwashed by the jewelry (especially diamond) industry's marketing. I'm not saying the OP has; it's just a general comment.

I'm sure your BF can get more bang for his buck at any number of jewelers, but I don't think there's anything wrong with "only" half a carat, either.
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:5b0683cf-686b-4fa9-81de-f36a704d034f">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never understood the allure of Tiffany's. Speaking of....what happened to BlueBoxBride?
    Posted by loopy82[/QUOTE]

Gahhh, you mean She Who Must Not Be Named.
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Or She of the Strangely Colored Lady Parts, right?

I dunno. I thought she was fun. It gets boring around here when everyone agrees on everything all the time. Variety is the spice of life!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:5b0683cf-686b-4fa9-81de-f36a704d034f">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never understood the allure of Tiffany's. Speaking of....what happened to BlueBoxBride?
    Posted by loopy82[/QUOTE]
    I think we scared her off!

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    AmandalovesAlAmandalovesAl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who cares where it's from.  A Diamond is a Diamond is a Diamond.
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:4201f762-b566-4551-a014-5a55cc6e87df">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or She of the Strangely Colored Lady Parts, right?
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

WHAT
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    By my estimations, a .5 carat Tiffany's ring cost about $5K or so. You can take that money and buy a much larger ring (if that's what you want) that's not from Tiffany's. Of course, five grand is a lot of money that can be spent on more useful things - tuition at college, put it towards a downpayment on a house, etc. I think that's a lot of money to spend on a piece of jewelry.

Of course, it's your BF's money to do with it as he pleases, and if he can afford a $5K ring, more power to him. But don't be set on Tiffany's - you're paying for the name and the blue box (that no one will ever see). And if you tell everyone that you have a Tiffany's ring, they'll just think you're a snotty little twit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BlueBoxBride must have been after the switch when I was protesting TK because it made my computer run at 1/80 speed, because I do not remember ANY of this.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:48f53d70-5ff9-4678-a7f4-cc07cbdbc88b">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bigger or better engagement ring? : WHAT
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]

blue box
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto all of the smart ladies above me....your ring is strictly: what it means to you, and quality. My BF had a larger budget and we looked at rings together....the ones we looked at were great (at Tiffanys and a few name brand jewelry stores), but any certified diamond is the same as its equivalent at another store. We ended up buying our ring at a non-name brand store that offered on-site jeweler services. It's certified, the store has been around for a very long time, and we have it insured privately. It cost a lot less than what we would have paid at a few other places, and it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Plus, now we have a couple thousand to do something *fun* with.  Using your diamond is an heirloom is a great idea, but it doesn't require a Tiffanys diamond. 
    Being in college still myself, I know how hard it is to make big purchases. Boys are funny too...try explaining to him that you don't demand a Tiffanys ring (BF was SHOCKED when the ring I chose was way below what we had planned to spend), and the only thing important to you is the meaning of it to the both of you. 
    Good luck :) 
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:4201f762-b566-4551-a014-5a55cc6e87df">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It gets boring around here when everyone agrees on everything all the time. Variety is the spice of life!

I agree completely.

ETA: How lame am I for saying I completely agree to a statement that says things are more interesting when everyone isn't agreeing.
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    edited December 2011
    Didn't we just have this conversation a few days ago? I think we all decided that gluing the blue box to your forehead was the best answer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thoughts from the Owner of a 0.5 Carat Non-Tiffany Ring:

1) What is important is the intention behind it, not the size of the diamond or the store it came from.

2) Buying at Tiff's, you're paying for the name and not the ring. No one will know just by looking at it where it's from. The only person that can get jollies from owning a Tiffany ring is you, unless you walk around announcing to people where your ring came from.

3) $5K for a 0.5 carat ring. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I realize that an e-ring is an investment, but seriously - there are way better uses for $5K for a college student, namely tuition, room & board, books, food, etc.

4) Where is the money coming from to pay for the ring? I ask simply because I know someone who's parents cut him off when he cleared his savings account to buy an e-ring for his girlfriend while they paid all his tuition and living expenses.

5) If you're really set on having a Tiffany ring with a larger stone, perhaps you should wait until you both are out of school and settled in a career and can afford the ring you want.

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:d2f5e2b2-bfa7-4ac8-ae87-fc7910fc8ee5">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE] $5K for a 0.5 carat ring. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I realize that an e-ring is an investment, but seriously - there are way better uses for $5K for a college student, namely tuition, room & board, books, food, etc.
    Posted by oceana919[/QUOTE]

This!!!

I understand from your post that it is your BF who wants to get you a Tiffany ring, and you're asking if it's worthwhile.  Clearly from the answers you've gotten, very few if any of us believe a Tiffany's ring is worth the exhorbitant price tag. 

If it's the design of Tiffany's rings you love, you can find a ring JUST like any Tiffany's ring (or have one made) at a significantly lower price.  Or you can buy one that you like even better, or have one made to your specifications.  The options are endless, but ultimately the investment in a Tiffany's ring is the name and that pretty blue box.  And nobody sees the box anyway.  Or the name.  So you're left with a very expensive ring that looks just like rings 1/3 the cost.

Talk to your BF - go look at stuff together, if you both want to - go to a bunch of different places, including Tiffany's.  It's a great way to see what's out there and what your money can buy.  If you guys still think it's a worthy investment, then great!  At least you will have considered your options fully.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_bigger-better-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:7a15b0b8-d668-4771-bbd0-0ade4cb7909ePost:4201f762-b566-4551-a014-5a55cc6e87df">Re: Bigger or better engagement ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or She of the Strangely Colored Lady Parts, right? I dunno. I thought she was fun. It gets boring around here when everyone agrees on everything all the time. Variety is the spice of life!

I say, make him wait until he can afford at least a carat from Tiffany. I'm sure he could also open a credit card to put it on...Happy ladies?

Joking aside- Tiffany is nice, sure, but you can get so much more for the same price and even less. A plain jane tiffany setting in 1/2 carat is $3,240 TO START. A friend of mine got his now wife a very similar ring for $350. To me, the extra $2900 in my pocket makes Tiffany not worth it. Talk to your boyfriend and let him know he can get much better for much cheaper. He's paying the extra grand or so for a name, that's it.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only way one can tell that your e-ring is from Tiffany is if you take it off, hand it to them, and they read the Tiffany engraving on the inside of the band.

Tell me, how often do you plan on doing that?  If the answer is never, which I assume it is, then who cares if it's Tiffany or not!

If I were in your shoes, I'd rather 1) get a larger, prettier, or better quality ring for the same money or 2) take a 0.5 ct non-Tiffany ring and use the extra money towards school/the wedding/other expenses.

Just my .02
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just for comparison:

A Tiffany 1 carat Princess Cut Engagement Ring with Plain Band - $8250

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/item.aspx?GroupSku=GRP10027&selectedSku=24163296#f+0/1002/0/0/0/1002

Same ring at Blue Nile - $2817

You're better off finding a larger and/or better quality ring at a lower price, then paying through the nose for a brand name.

The other thing is, be sure to try rings on before settling into one or one kind. The ring I had originally seen online that I had fallen in love with was a 0.75 carat. I went to the store and tried it on, and the diamond looked like costume jewelry on my finger - way too big for me. I ended up getting a smaller stone that fit my long fingers better. You may want to go bigger or smaller, depending on how they look on your hand.

My advice? When your BF and you are both ready to do so, go look together. And then relax. And pray your BF doesn't pull an acro. ;)

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't spend 5K on a .5 carat e-ring.  There's nothing wrong with rings of that size.  I'm just saying that's too much for that size.  

You can get an extremely high quality .5 carat at bluenile for around 2k.  Even if you pay $1,000 for the setting, that's still way cheaper than Tiffany's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards