Jewish Weddings
Options

Something new, blue, old & borrowed

Do Jewish brides do this?  I know now there are lots of mixed traditions but I was trying to figure out if I should/should not do this

Re: Something new, blue, old & borrowed

• Options
    edited December 2011
    my mom did, and i plan to!

i think it's a fun tradition :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The tradition doesn't have any religious significance, so it's open to all.
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did it. I thought it was totally silly...but also kind of fun Wink  It didn't have any meaning to me and it was fun to make sure I had all the elements.

ETA:
    old: my mom's tapesty  purse that she had carried on her weddng day; she had given it to me about 15 years earlier (I used to borrow it all the time and finally she told me to keep it since I got so much more use out of it than she did)
    borrowed: mom's pearls; she wore them on her wedding day and so did my sister
    blue: some blue crystal hair pins and clips
    new: everything else!
  • Options
    ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did :)

I had on a blue garter (didn't toss).
    Borrowed a necklace from my mom.
    Carried my great grandmother's bride's prayerbook (old)
    And had a new pair of shoes

It was just fun for the dayCool
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also did it.

Old: my great-grandmother's earrings, bracelet my grandmother got when I was born and gave to me at my Bat Mitzvah

New: dress, shoes

Borrowed: used my grandmother's wedding band during the ceremony (my band has jewels so we couldn't use it) and I carried my husband's grandmother's prayer book w/bouquet

Blue: undies
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do it. Neither did my Jewish friends.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think its a fun tradition so I'm going to do it. I have no idea what they'll be yet though beyond the borrowed (going to borrow my dad's wedding band for the ceremony since I'd like to honor my parents and their 40+ yr marriage and I'd like my band to have some bling).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i didn't do it.  never heard of anyone jewish doing it either.
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Old:  veil and shoes.
    New:  dress.
    Borrowed:  a friend's tiara for the reception.
    Blue:  my garter (did not toss) and bouquet (silk flowers as pictured in my pic).

Didn't do the sixpence in my shoe.  How does one go about finding one anyway?

It's just a fun thing that doesn't interfere with the "Judaism" of a Jewish wedding.  If you want to do it, have fun with it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_something-new-blue-old-borrowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:6b78b4cb-75c6-4e6b-9f2c-db28ed8bbdaaPost:e802518c-52c9-4248-a847-608ba11a34c4">Re: Something new, blue, old & borrowed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Old:  veil and shoes. New:  dress. Borrowed:  a friend's tiara for the reception. Blue:  my garter (did not toss) and bouquet (silk flowers as pictured in my pic).<strong> Didn't do the sixpence in my shoe.  How does one go about finding one anyway? </strong>It's just a fun thing that doesn't interfere with the "Judaism" of a Jewish wedding.  If you want to do it, have fun with it!
    Posted by Musicheals71[/QUOTE]

My MOH's mom gave me one as a gift.  But my shoes were peep toe slingbacks, so I didn't use it since I had no idea how to keep it in without it a)falling out or b)being totally uncomfortable!
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did this as well. It's just something fun and cutesy, so why not!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards