Maryland-Baltimore
Options

Ice Cream Cake???

My fiance and I want to have an Ice cream cake instead of a traditional wedding cake...the catch is that we want want it to look like a traditional wedding cake. We have called several bakers and ice cream shops and no one seems to think it can be done. We have seen several blogs online where people have done them and said they were a big success! Anyone have any suggestions???

<3

Re: Ice Cream Cake???

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you might have a hard time with this, especially if the local area bakers aren't sure they can do it.  I think the biggest problem is going to be keeping it from becomming a melty mess during the reception, since typically the cake is displayed throughout dinner.

If you are just going to have it brought out for the cake cutting and want the effect of seeing a large, typical wedding cake, maybe you could have the bottom two layers be a mock cake, and the top layer you cut be an ice cream cake.  Then have your caterer cute sheets of ice cream cake back in the kitchen for everyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At both bridal shows I went to last year, Coldstone had a booth to advertise their wedding cake. It looks like a real cake, I believe, and is amazingly fudgy along with the ice cream. I'd check them out!
  • Options
    weezie825weezie825 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My brother got his wedding cake from the Carvel Store in Hunt Valley, MD.  It was a stacked 3 tier cake with pale blue icing and a white piped design.  It was Yummy!! 

The man who owns the store (I can't remmeber his name) has a book on hs counter of some of the wedding cakes he has done.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got mine from Carvel. It was fabulous. If you would like to see a picture email me at valentinegirlxo@comcast.net
  • Options
    devinrldevinrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Although I am not doing an ice cream cake, I wanted the look of a bigger, fondant covered cake without the bigger, fondant covered price! The bakery I am working with is doing a "dummy:" cake for me with only one layer of real cake to cut. We are having sheet cakes in the back that will be served. I am sure if you went to a bakery that does the fake cakes, (I'm going with Sweet in Ellicott City,) they would be happy to price things out for you. Then, you could get ice cream cakes from wherever you wanted and they could stay in the freezer for as long as necessary.
  • Options
    diamonds4evadiamonds4eva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a ice cream cake as my wedding cake.  We ordered the cake from Coldstone.  We met the owner, Kelli, at her Edgewater, MD store, but I believe she owns other Coldstones around MD.  At that time, she was getting into ice cream wedding cakes, so may have expanded by now.  Anyway, here is her contact info:
    129 Mitchells Chance Road
    Edgewater, MD 21037-2773
    (410) 956-1100

HTH!
  • Options
    cabana2010cabana2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you are anywhere near Canton, the Coldstone there does a great job with cakes!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards