Kentucky-Louisville

resetting a diamond *added a new question*

Ok, technically we're not engaged yet, but I have a question you ladies might be able to help us with :)

I have been wearing my grandmothers engagement ring (on my right hand) for a while now. She passed it down to me when I was young, but obviously a 7 year old doesnt need diamond jewelry haha. My live-in boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage for a long time, but we're definitely on a budget. I have been thinking about resetting the diamond into a band picked out by my bf. I was thinking, not only would it be cost effective, but it would be a great way to still wear her diamond since I wouldnt wear both rings T once. (I dont want to just keep her ring as my own, it seems odd and a little impersonal to give it to my bf to give to me... maybe thats just me)

So, to my question, is this something that is commonly done or is it a weird request? And what are some good jeweler suggestions, and what should he expect the cost to be, generally? I've been looking online, but I cant really picture what it will look like in person.

Re: resetting a diamond *added a new question*

• ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My H bought my center diamond at the same place that my parents and grandparents (married 30 and 52 years respectively).  It just happened to be closing the week that we started looking at e-rings and all she had left for ladies were center diamonds.  So he bought it and we chose Davis Jewelers on Hurstbourne Lane to put it in a setting.  They ordered a few things for me that I had seen in a catalog and ended up putting the center diamond in one of those.  Andrea was our sales associate and she was fabulous.  I also had H's band re-sized there as we had purchased that at my parents'/grandparents' jeweler as well.  Oh and we purchased my wedding band there and had it slightly re-styled to perfectly match my e-ring.  We found at other jewelers they gave us the run around by claiming that various settings were "the last one in the history of the world" and then we'd get home to find that setting all over the internet. Highly recommend Davis!!!
  • ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and if you take the diamond with you when you shop or generally know the 4C's of it, they can place a similar diamond in the settings that you like.
  • edited December 2011
    I had this done!  My mother gave me my great-grandma's engagement ring a while ago.  She had like size 3 fingers and her ring wouldn't even fit on my pinky!  When fiance and I got engaged, he took my great-grandma's ring to Shane Co. and picked out a band to put her diamond in.  They were totally easy to work with.  The cost of taking the diamond out of my great-grandma's ring and putting it in my new band was $75.  They do have to take your diamond and ship it off to the place where they put it in the new band.  They are totally safe about this though, and had my fiance view our diamond with a person at Shane.  They then showed him the diamond again when he went to pick up the ring to guarentee that it was the same diamond.  Fiance was totally happy with his experience at Shane and I love having my great-grandma's diamon in the band that my fiance picked out!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the suggestions so far! Im glad you both had good experiences
  • edited December 2011
    I'd like to add a new question haha, so I've been doing a lot of 'window shopping' online so I can tell the bf what I like (which turns out to be vintage rings, which just happen to be all the rage - and more expensive most places ugh... of course!) I was browsing etsy and found an absolutely GORGEOUS vintage setting, similar ones I've seen for at least $800 with out any diamonds in them. This one was $30. No, Im not missing any zeros. Thirty dollars. The catch here is that its sterling silver (Im not saying Im buying from etsy, not sure how I feel about it for something so important that's supposed to last forever if I cant even see it before I (ok bf) buys it. but thats a whole other story haha) Anyway. Is silver really that bad for an engagement ring? I googled it and it just talks about it being a soft metal. Is the ring getting beat up the main issue, or maybe the prongs shifting and losing the stone? I usually wouldnt consider something that all my (albeit limited) research in the matter says dont do it, but the price difference is insane. Like 'lets skip dinner at tumbleweed and buy an engagement ring instead' difference....

ok so Im rambling at this point haha and Im pretty sure youll all tell me its not a good idea, but I thought Id check and see :)
  • edited December 2011
    I had thought I heard somewhere that jewelers won't put diamonds into silver because it is so soft.  I think they are afraid of all the things you just said: it getting scratched, becoming dull, the prongs breaking and you losing your diamond.  However, I just googled it and apparently there are lots of sterling silver rings out there with diamonds in them.  I, personally, would be too scared to do it, especially with my family diamond.  There is no replacing the sentimental value of the diamond in my e-ring.  But, if the price is right for you and you can find someone to put the diamond in the ring, then go for it. You can always upgrade to a better band at a later time or anniversary.

Edit: spelling
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, the more I think about it, Im not sure it would be worth it. I would feel awful if I lost this diamond, and I guess the price is just equal to what you get. I thought about replacing it for an anniversary but I feel like the replacement wouldn't have the same sentimental value, even if switched out the diamond. Thanks for the input :)
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Silver also tarnishes as well and it's just not a good metal for a ring that you're going to wear the rest of your life IMO.

I think it would be more worth your $$ to get a white gold band. The price of gold is a little high right now, but if the setting doesn't have a bunch of little diamonds in it, it shouldn't be more than a few hundred bucks. Like you said, my piece of mind for the diamond would be worth that much to me.

Also, we bought my e-ring at Shane Co. Most places will sell you the setting and diamond individually and then give you a discount if you buy both from them. I think if you take your current ring in, they should be able to find a good setting for it.
  • edited December 2011
    You should definitely go to Marshall's Jewelers. They are super friendly & can go over every tiny detail with you & will even order a new mounting, place your stone in it so you can see how it looks & return it if you are not happy. They are very easy to work with ! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards