Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Rings. Do I need an engagement AND wedding ring??

My boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage for a while now. We don't have any concrete plans to go for it just yet, but we have decided on a non religious ceremony with a lot of our own personal touches to keep it intimate, personal and on the cheaper side as we are both college students and plan to move out to California from Minnesota after we are married. My question is, as I sift through engagement ring sites (cause I'm a woman and that's what I do!), do you need to have both an engagement ring and then the wedding band to accompany it? Would it seem tacky or cheap of us to have the engagement ring and then take it off the day of the wedding and do some sort of ritual type of thing that sort of makes it into the wedding ring? Is that tacky? It woudn't be just for the money savings, but also because I guess I don't think I need the band and the ring; it seems too much to me. Any thoughts?

Re: Rings. Do I need an engagement AND wedding ring??

• Options
    To answer your question, no you don't need an engagement ring and a wedding ring. Although if you only have an engagement ring people will still ask you when the wedding is after the ceremony. If price is a problem there are lots of other cheaper options than a diamond.

Also you should check out the NYE board (under special topic wedding boards on the left) those ladies have lots of good advice for stuff like this.

• Options
    You can have just one ring, your choice and nothing wrong about it. I have a wedding ring only. It is a white and yellow gold design with very small diamond accents. We just did not want to do an engagement ring. It seemed like a waste of money. Maybe we will have an eternity band somewhere down the line, but stones have always just seemed to me money that could be better spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    Short answer.  No.  My SIL didn't want a typical e-ring.  Hers looks more like a cocktail ring and no wedding band would really go with it.  So that's what she got.  But....it looks like she's wearing a cocktail ring.

If I were going to have just one ring, I'd do what pp did:  I'd get a band, perhaps with channel set diamonds for an e-ring, and then use that on wedding day as my wedding ring.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    No, in fact a lot of brides are choosing to wear just the band after they are married, so I definitely see your point. I would just pick out a band you like and go from there.
  • Options
    No u don't  NEED both. sometimes the e ring will come witha band as a set, mine did. nowadays e rings are designed to look like a band is being worn when actually the ring has a double band or whatever its called.
  • Options
    You absolutely do not need both. My sister-in-law had a $15 engagement ring, and when they got married she started wearing just the wedding ring they got for her. It's totally based on your preference.
  • Options
    Most Europeans don't do engagement rings. It's really not common in most countries, so it's not weird to skip the separate rings.

Personally, I would make the ring a "band" with no noticeable stones sticking out - channel set or pave set (pave is my favourite). My husband bought me an engagement ring, but I almost wish I had just the one ring. The engagement ring is kind of annoying to wear sometimes.
  • Options
    My cousin just got engaged a couple weeks ago and his FI didn't want a typical e-ring.  She picked out/designed what she wanted.  She has three bands.  The one that is being used as the e-ring has a band of gold in the center with a band of diamonds on either side.  When they get married, she'll wear the other two bands which are slim gold bands.  One for either side of the ring.  It sounds weird when I describe it like this...but it is very pretty.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am only doing an engagement ring.  I chose a really wide band so it almost looks better without a wedding band.  
  • Options
    tldh-we're ring twins!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing.  My e-ring is beautiful by itself, if anything I'll just get a plain white gold band.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards