Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Real peonies on cake, bad idea?

Hi ladies!

So I met with a baker today about our cake and when I told her we want hot pink peonies on the cake she said that it's a bad idea because they're known for having ants hidden in them.

I have heard this before, but is it really that impossible to get some without ants or clear those suckers out before they go on the cake? The gum paste flowers they had weren't the right color and I don't really want to consider silk flowers for the cake. Real ones are so much prettier!

Anyone have real ones without issue? Thanks in advance!

Re: Real peonies on cake, bad idea?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We had gumpaste peonies on our cake. You couldn't tell unless you got right up next to the cake. My toss bouquet is right next to the cake, just for comparison of real vs. sugar. :)
  • Options
    njlfrednjlfred member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if this is just a peony issue or for flowers in general.  I had fresh flowers on top of my cake - no one ever mentioned any potential ant issues.  That being said, considering what I paid for my cake, if my cake baker or florist had advised me not to have fresh flowers on it, I would have followed thier advice  I would have hated to ruin the cake if it could be avoided and I wouldn't want my guests to not have dessert.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should definitely ask your florist about this. They will know if there are going to be ants in the flowers AND they are the ones that go to the market to pick out the flowers for your wedding. Sometimes you can just order the cake with no flowers and have your florist come in after its delivered and put flowers on it. Thats what I am planning on doing!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely check with your florist that they can get organically grown flowers for the cake. Pesticides are all over conventionally grown flowers and they aren't all removed with a rinse under water. (This is part of the reason I opted for sugar flowers instead.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used real peonies and didn't have any problems.  Neither our baker nor our florist mentioned that there could be a problem using them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My florist grows her own flowers...

We had real flowers on the top of our cake and peonies were included in the small arrangement. My florist never mentioned anything about ants- but maybe it's because she grows all of her own flowers.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards