Honeymoon Discussions

Aruba reviews

Hi!  We're thinking about honeymooning in Aruba... Any suggestions/feedback as to places to stay?  We'll be there in August and we're on a budget.  Thanks in advance! =)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Aruba reviews

• Hey,
    My boyfriend and I *try* to check out a new warm locale every March for our anniversary (and to get out of the brutal Chicago winter), and we went to Aruba last year. It was AWESOME!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort on Palm Beach in Oranjestaad. Now, I'm deathly afraid of the ocean, but Palm Beach was so calm that I had no problem wading in to my knees (!). The beach is long and wide with plenty of loungers-- />just be sure to head out early to save them (like 9am). We really liked the hotel because it was conveniently located and totally affordable (...for Aruba). I think we got a deal where we spent $259 p/night, but got every 4th night free.

There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance and there's ton of cute little kiosks and a mini mall nearby (also walkable). If you want to head downtown, the cab is something like $15, I think, although we didn't do it more than once because we liked the area of our hotel so much.

Food and drink are expensive as is typical with most Caribbean locations, but you can get by with a food budget of $65-75 per person/per day.

August is considered off-season so you shouldn't have too much of a hard time finding hotels that aren't too pricey, but if you're not too picky, the Holiday Inn SunSpree is a good pick. Congrats and hope you have a lovely honeymoon!!

P.S. The sun is unforgiving in Aruba....bring lotion sunblock... We brought spray-on sunblock (SPF 45) and we were so crispy on the second morning that we spent most of the day watching TV and applying aloe vera.

Ben (over the phone): What are you doing?

Me: Just eating Nerds and watching "Nightmare on Elm Street."

Ben: Oh. I didn't know you were a cannibal.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_aruba-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:23acea1a-faff-4128-bae1-920373d3237cPost:cb55d934-0bb1-4123-84b4-655259a4a607">Re: Aruba reviews</a>:
    [QUOTE]P.S. The sun is unforgiving in Aruba....bring lotion sunblock... We brought spray-on sunblock (SPF 45) and we were so crispy on the second morning that we spent most of the day watching TV and applying aloe vera.
    Posted by rozANDbenSINCE2001[/QUOTE]

This. 

We stayed at the Tamerjin AI and it was wonderful! :)
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've been to Aruba 5-6 times with my family and we love it there.  We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, Westin, Marriott and Radisson.   The holiday Inn is a good option if you are on a budget.  We did their all-inclusive option and had a great time!
  • i think you'll have to make a stop at a convenience store for american beer. from what i read the local Balashi beer is the most popular (it's a light beer). other offerings include a Venezuelan beer called Polar, and Dutch Heiniken and Amstel.
  • Oh Tasha - you always have the answers Wink.  I'm sure he'll be drinking fruity umbrella drinks right along beside me. 

Oh from our other discussion - I did compromise on the Holiday Inn.  I found a blog from a travel guy that told about his whole stay, I think we will be fine.  I don't plan on hanging out in the room anyway, and we are more beach than pool people.  Plus we got AI there for less than no meals at the Radisson so that way at least our breakfast and snacks will be taken care of and we aren't spending anymore than we would have been when we venture out on the island for dinner.
    We ran off to Vegas and got married!
  • We are scheduled to go to Aruba June 2011, and I will let you know, we are staying at the SunSpree Holiday Inn
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards