Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Barcelona

We are trying to book our honeymoon relatively soon and just came up with Barcelona as another idea. Anyone have any experience with this as a honeymoon? Recommendations, etc? Thanks!

Re: Barcelona

• Options
    We really want to go there as well for part of our trip. I have heard that the economy is pretty bad there like the next Greece. It still my be fabulous but I would definitely buy trip insurance in case things go bad.
  • Options
    I went to Barcelona with my boyfriend and we both said the same thing - that it was AMAZING but we are so glad it wasn't our honeymoon. It's a city so we spent the time sightseeing, walking, taking public transportation and shopping. We did not spend any time relaxing which resulted in us both feeling pretty cranky. It's the same reason I wouldn't suggest New York as a honeymoon destination; although both cities are once in a lifetime experiences.  We didn't want to go back to the hotel because their was just so much to see and do. It's probably the best city I have ever been to and I would love to live there. However, it just didn't have the honeymoon feel I'm looking for. However, if you want an exciting, city honeymoon with lots of sightseeing and things to do then it is a great choice.
    I don't see the economy as being a problem at all. I'm from NYC and I couldn't get over how clean and safe Barcelona was in comparison. We used public transportation for everything and I was very impressed by it.
    Also, I completely agree with the previous post - the language barrier is TOUGH. It is a city that has maintained a lot of its culture. They don't really speak Spanish, they speak Catalan. Next comes Spanish, followed by English. Therefore, despite having a good knowledge of basic Spanish we had some trouble because many of the locals we met only spoke Catalan. We were surprised at how little we were able to communicate with taxi drivers. If you do not speak at least a little basic Spanish then you will need to stick to the main tourist areas.
    If you do want to visit Barcelona then feel free to PM me and I have even more tips to share!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We went to BCN in April and really liked it; it's a beautiful city and would be fun for a HM.

I blogged about our trip: http://shineisntalwaysshimmer.blogspot.com/2012/07/barcelona-day-1.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards