Snarky Brides

kijiji/craigslist

Do people really buy used sofa's/matresses?

We have a big sofa and a box spring in our storage unit and we want to get rid of them, so selling them online seems like the easiest option. We would offer delivery included and both are in good shape (box spring is like new, only used it for 4 months before it went in there; sofa is lightly used and the arms have a bit of cat scratches).

Does that work? Do people actually buy that. I looked and there were like 30 new sofa postings in the past 8 hours, so thats kinda overwhelming.

Re: kijiji/craigslist

• I'd buy a used sofa. I also once bought a used mattress. It was when I first lived alone and couldn't afford a new one. I picked the nicest I could find at....salvation army. Then I took it home and used an entire can of lysol on it, covered it in a mattrress cover and used more lysol. I never really slept on it though (slept at T's) and I'd probably never do that again.
  • When H moved in with me, he had the better couch and loveseat so we set mine out on the curb for the garbage man. It sat out in the rain for like 6 hours and we watched two groups of garbage pickers get into a fist fight over it. So I'm thinking yes, there's a large market of people out there that don't mind used furniture. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What is kijijiji?

I would never buy a used sofa or mattress.  There is a huge bed bug epidemic around here.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I've sold some furniture on Craigslist. I sold a full-size bed within a day of listing it. I sold it for super cheap, but it was money.
  • There is always someone out there who's happy to buy a used sofa or whatever. Not everyone can afford to be choosy, so I'd post it and see what happens. At worst, it will still be in storage in a week.
  • Oh my mattress was before bedbugs became so rampant and in Alaska where pretty much nothing can live.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_kijijicraigslist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4beea03f-95cc-40d5-a044-83dc437f68ffPost:21635abd-241d-4eaf-8201-36490a6dd221">Re: kijiji/craigslist</a>:
    [QUOTE]People do it, but I wouldn't, <strong>especially with all the bed bug/other creepy crawler infestations of late. </strong>But they always seem to sell, so someone must be buying them.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]
    Last month I was walking around a shopping center and saw these really cute lamps in one of those rent to own furniture places. I went in to check them out and ask if they sold things, not just do the rent to own crap. I picked up the lamp and the bottom felt type thingy fell off and a couple dozen roaches fell out of it. I don't think I could EVER buy furniture/appliances used or from a store that accepts used things to come back. It scarred me for life. The manager acted like it was no big deal, he even admitted that most things that they repossess come back with bugs. He said "we do our best to get rid of the bugs before we display them, but you can't get everything and they breed like wildfire." GROSS
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • maybe kijiji is canadian but i have had some good luck with it lately selling some craft supplies.

i would say go for listing it all people will buy mattresses or couches imo. we have been looking a lot at sectional couches there- it seems a lot of people buy them for condos without measuring so there are a lot of really nice couches posted for a lot less. when i was moving out of my student apartment the people moving in offered to buy my bed off me, which i would never have done personally but you never know waht someone needs! it just felt weird because when they offered I was still currently using it.

another suggestion if you live near a college or university go put a notice up or post on their message board/facebook.. its the end of the year but there are going to be a lot of students moving out of res for the first time and needing cheaper furniture.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    244 Invited image 43 Attending image 5 Declined image Waiting on 198 image
    RSVP Date October 3, 2011
  • Kijiji is Canadian.

I gave away my couch and two chairs on kijiji last year. I had a lot of responses.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    These things have been sitting in a storage unit for 3 years too, so I dont know if that could be a factor (not damp, at all, stuff is covered in blankets so it isnt gross). I dont THINK it has bed begs, it certainly better not.

Kijiji is like craigslist.

Thats a good idea Meaghann - we live near a university and a college!
  • Dmiller- that is DISGUSTING!!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_kijijicraigslist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4beea03f-95cc-40d5-a044-83dc437f68ffPost:a6db54cd-d110-4604-9918-67a9909189dc">Re: kijiji/craigslist</a>:
    [QUOTE]These things have been sitting in a storage unit for 3 years too, so I dont know if that could be a factor (not damp, at all, stuff is covered in blankets so it isnt gross). I dont THINK it has bed begs, it certainly better not. Kijiji is like craigslist. Thats a good idea Meaghann - we live near a university and a college!
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

It might be a slow idea at first- I think exams are finishing for most. But they are probably signing student leases etc for the fall!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    244 Invited image 43 Attending image 5 Declined image Waiting on 198 image
    RSVP Date October 3, 2011
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Most of the crap weve put outside over the years has been swiped up in a few hours. We put a futon matress and frame next to a dumpster at an old apartment and we heard someone taking it within an hour of it going outside. I dont need a ton of money for this stuff, but id like atleast something.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_kijijicraigslist?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4beea03f-95cc-40d5-a044-83dc437f68ffPost:584cd4f1-d71b-44fe-abd8-b685ae452593">Re: kijiji/craigslist</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is kijijiji? <font color="#ff00ff">I would never buy a used sofa or mattress.  There is a huge bed bug epidemic around here.
    </font>Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

This.  I'm a brat and really don't like to reuse most objects (coming from my family is different)...
  • See about university online residence boards.  The school I went to had a "Garage Sale" where anyone could post furniture.  You might not get a lot of movement until July/August (when the students start moving back) but it's another idea!
  • I sold a mattress on craigslist. I wouldn't buy one except from the vendors that post there.

I would buy a sofa if when I went to pick it up the house and sofa were clean.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I sold a bed to a coworker. Headboard, frame, box spring, mattress.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards