Military Brides

Dress blues...........

So some back ground, me and my fiance have been engaged for 4 years. Yes we have been taking our time, no I am not upset at all. With that said we are finally starting to get ideas together because we are planning by this time next year to have our date. Unless of course the world ends then I have nothing to worry about. Sorry had to joke.
OK so I was thinking about doing a beach theme either early summer or a winter type theme or even yet a fall theme in an apple orchard. He wants beach and I want the fall. But I am affraid that these ideas will not look right because he wants to wear his dress blues, which I have no problem with. But everyone I have been talking to has always said a Marine themed wedding would be cute. Yes my fiance is a Marine but that its not all he is. It is a BIG part but I just dont want to look back and see our wedding all red blue and gold. I love him but not so much the Marines. I really just cant see what our wedding would look like if we didnt go all out military themed. I dont know I am just sooooo confused now. =(

Re: Dress blues...........

• He can wear his dress blues without going all out on the Marine's theme, no matter what season you do it. Many of the ladies here have had their husbands dress in uniform for their weddings without making it a military themed wedding. Don't stress, and come to an agreement on when you would like to get married. Compromise with him. And, most importantly, DON'T STRESS! Everything will come together for you, PROMISE! :)
  • Yeah, you don't have to tie the colors into the dress blues. Plan the theme/style/colors you want and let him wear the dress blues.

My H didn't wear his dress blues but when we were originally planning it that way I still picked the colors I wanted. You're overthinking this. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_dress-blues-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:d64561fb-762f-4313-aac4-a23bcad32cd3Post:668d7221-94d9-43dd-abcf-7f3cd85afc33">Dress blues...........</a>:
    [QUOTE]So some back ground, me and my fiance have been engaged for 4 years. Yes we have been taking our time, no I am not upset at all. With that said we are finally starting to get ideas together because we are planning by this time next year to have our date. Unless of course the world ends then I have nothing to worry about. Sorry had to joke.

OK so I was thinking about doing a beach theme either early summer or a winter type theme or even yet a fall theme in an apple orchard. <u>He wants beach and I want the fall</u>. But I am affraid that these ideas will not look right because he wants to wear his dress blues, which I have no problem with. <strong>But everyone I have been talking to</strong> has always said a Marine themed wedding would be cute. Yes my fiance is a Marine but that its not all he is. It is a BIG part but I just dont want to look back and see our wedding all red blue and gold. I love him but not so much the Marines. I really just cant see what our wedding would look like if we didnt go all out military themed. I dont know I am just sooooo confused now. =(
    Posted by Marinesbaby88[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what 'everyone' is saying - this wedding belongs to YOU and your FI.  Nobody else.  If your parents are paying, they get a little bit of say, as in where it's held, who is invited, etc.  But still - at the end of the day, this is a day for you and your FI so it's important to do things the way you want.

I think you and your FI should sit down and discuss the ideas, the dates, and figure out if you want a beach or a fall wedding.  Either would be beautiful.  I personally vote for a fall wedding, since it's usually cooler and dress blues can be really uncomfortable in the hot summer sun.  Plus I know my FI wouldn't get his dress blues anywhere near sand on the beach!  Could you compromise and find a place near the water during the fall?  So he has the ocean if not the sand, and you get the foliage and fall colors?

Good luck!  If you stick around this board, these girls have been invaluable in helping me navigate wedding planning.

Anniversary

• Just an inspiration image - I think a fall wedding with cranberry & burnt orange would make a gorgeous classy fall color scheme that would look STUNNING with the military uniform without being 'military themed'.

Anniversary

• We had ours on a lawn that over looked the ocean.  We were able to get not only the beachy feel and H was able to wear his uniform (he didn't want to rent a tux). I included a pic of the site itself ignore the big trash can as it was not in any of our photos.

Good luck planning. 

• We are getting married in Vegas on 9/11 and he is wearing his USMC dress uniform. We have no bridal party so I didn't have to worry about that.  I wanted pink flowers, but I thought red looked better with his uniform, so I went red.  That was the only compromise I made.

My sister is getting married in Nov and asked him to wear his dress blues to her wedding too.

My FI is ret since Oct 2010. 
  • i had a military marine wedding in a garden and it was beautiful! My marine wore his dress blues and it was such a neat contrast of hard tough marine and soft delicate garden.  We have the most beautiful pictures. Also, if you are considering jewelry or gifts this site has the best military related jewelry all handmade...

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonstonecreation. I really like the "love is trading in your perals for his dog tags" so sweet. I have a printed dog tag and get tons of compliments.

• Please stop spamming the board with your etsy store.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm chiming in a bit late, but would your fiance be interested in wearing his dress blues for the ceremony and some pictures, and changing into a suit or tux for the wedding? One of my fiance's groomswomen is wearing mess dress to the ceremony and a bridesmaid dress for the reception, so personally I don't think the outfit switching would be a big deal. Then again, it's your wedding, theme and color it how you want and to heck with what everyone says!
  • I agree with these girls! Decide on colors and theme that you two want! Then have him wear his Dress Blues. It'll look sharp and make him stand out as well!  My fiance is wearing his uniform and we are doing plum and champagne colors for the girls. Then his guys are wearing dark cole grey tuxes!

Let the weddding be a sign and picture of both your styles and don't worry about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards