New Jersey - South
Options

Unique situation...teacher needs help w/picking a wedding date..either this Sept 12' or next June 13

Hi knotties...

OK really need as much input as possible...I'll make this simple..my fiancee and I have been dating for 5 years and are both 40 yrs old.  We got engaged in late March 12' and I was himming and hawwing over venues but finally came to my senses and realized that one of the first ones we looked at is perfect (we originally wanted summer wedding..off of school...beach decor to the max...this place is very beachy).

Here's the deal
:  my venue only has this Sept. 28th or beg June of next year left.  They also have this Aug 31st (fri..of labor day weekend) but I just ordered my dress and it won't be in until Sept and plus I have nothing else done and am too nervous.  For some reason I think a Friday wedding will be tough with trying to have people get off work to go to the church (it's so imp. to me) and plus many are teachers.  I would also probably take my honeymoon in Nov. over teacher break and tack on some dates, but I think it's just harder in general to be in school while getting married (you have to rush back into the classroom practically right after).

So do we wait until next June (oh price goes up $25.00 a head...they are giving us last minute booking price now) when we can be relaxed about it and then go on honeymoon as soon as school is over...ALTHOUGH we would probably have everything planned by like Sept or Oct and would be waiting 8 months!! 

I really wonder how much goes into planning for 5 months beside DJ dresses photographer flowers?  And will Sept28  in Central Jersey be too fallish and cool for the whole beach theme thing??

Thanks for listening....PLEASE HELP

Re: Unique situation...teacher needs help w/picking a wedding date..either this Sept 12' or next June 13

• Options
    I can't say too much on the beach themed aspect because my wedding was entirely themed towards winter however if the venue you're getting married in is beachy and you are having any outdoor type ceremony on/near the beach or even against a backdrop of windows with the beach in the background I think it's entirely appropriate - remember, fall doesn't technically start until the end of October!!

I'm not a teacher and I went to Catholic school (plus I'm from NY so I don't know how schools in Jesey work) but wouldn't the begining of the June put more strain on both the guests and yourself? It seems rather close to finals and graduation times of the year so maybe starting in the begining of the year when you're already a few weeks in, classes are settled but you're not too close to anything big in terms of school events/tests/etc... 

Finally, taking your honeymoon in November would also probably be less expensive than taking it during the summer as well...

I hope this helps!!
  • Options
    I would probably go for the Sept 28th date.  I would try to schedule the church to start as late as possible.  You are getting a great deal and you found a place you love!  My H is an educational aide and we had a Friday wedding.  We sent out STDs and we had just about 100% turn out at our church ceremony at 5.  If you book the Sept 28th date, I would order and send STDs immediately!!!!

The things your concerned about hiring, should be no problem to hire in the amount of time you have until Sept 28th.  I think the only thing that might be tough is the photographer.  But there are tons of great ones that will be available, the search might be a little longer though.
  • Options
    I say go for the Sept. 28 date. I am a teacher and even though you'll be teaching that time of year, you won't be as stressed as you are in June. I know the beginning of the school year is always less stressful than the end (at least for me anyway.) Plus, it will be nice to have a November honeymoon. You'll have something to look forward to and if you're planning the week of teacher's convention then it really is only a little more than a month after your wedding.  Also, I think a beach theme will be fine on Sept. 28. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hi girls,

Thanks for the posts...you all made me chuckle because yes state testing is VERY IMPORTANT but luckily in second grade we don't have one anymore.  They took it away and just give the NJ ASK starting in 3rd grade.  Does that change anything??  HEHE 

Also, district really doesn't care when I take extra days so whenever (even in June) will work.  OLIVE OILS MOM:  great post...thanks what date did you get married on?  I see you had the church at 5 but our cocktail hour starts at 6PM and I want to take pics in between so I was thinking 4PM at latest?  Though the whole venue is on the docks with a gorgeous sunset and views are amazing and the sunset is way earlier in Sept in NJ on that date...(6:45 PM) than in May or June (almost 8PM)...does that matter??

Thanks,
    Dani
  • Options
    I was just married on March 16th.  We had a 7 pm start for our cocktail hour.  We had some pictures at the church and then the remaining pictures at the reception hall.  We made it to a portion of cocktail hour.  Did you plan on doing a first look?  That will help you make cocktail hour easier.  If you don't want to do a first look, then get as many pics as you can before hand.  We did not do a first look and our photographers got all the pics of me & my family and BMs and H with his family & GM before the wedding, so less pictures to do after the ceremony.

I think the 4 pm start time would work.  About how long will your ceremony take?  If its about an hour, you will be fine.  But if its a shorter 15 minutes, then consider what your guests would be doing during that long hour & 45 minute gap in between. The main reason you have a cocktail hour is to allow the bride & groom to have pictures taken.  So its not that big of a deal to miss a portion of it. 
  • Options
    My FI is a teacher and we decided to go with August of this year rather than waiting until June of next.  So far everything has been smooth and we keep saying to each other "there's now way we could have waited another 10 months!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards