Wedding Etiquette Forum

nebbster

so, I read in one thread that you've lost 30 pounds since april. I'm trying to lose some lbs, but it's very up and down. how are you doing it?

Re: nebbster

• *Hi Lala!*
    I would also like to know how you did that too Nebb!  Maybe you could inspire me.
  • hey swifty!! love the new pic, babe. I wish I had your hair.
  • I'm not Nebb, but I have to say.  I was struggling with working out and dieting and not losing weight.  Then I decided I wanted to run an 8k in April.  Now, I'm following a training plan and I'm not losing pounds but I'm losing inches. 

Ok, I'm done butting in and giving unsolicited advice. 
  • ::waves at Lala::

I miss yooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • edited November 2009
    I'm also going to butt in, but not to give any helpful advice. I suck, sowie.

Lala- how is Dixie? (Apologies if you've chosen not to post about her or made a post that I've overlooked)
  • Thanks Lala!
    I miss you on here! 
  • Hellooo!! Ive lost 27lbs since mid april, and gone from only fitting in size 18s from plus sized stores to comfortably fitting into 14s from normal stores.
    I count calories (i got a range from sparkpeople.com, high end on workout days, low end on lazy days) as well as my fat, carb and protein intake. I dont eat carbs with dinner, I drink lots of water, I take a protein powder with my milk with my breakfast, and I have lots of snacks like fruit and veggies or yogurt throughout the day.
    I generally workout 3-5 days a week, doing 30-45 minutes of a high intensity cardio and then do strength training for 45 minutes at the heaviest weight I can handle. I mostly do free weights now, but I did use the machines for a while when I was getting the hang of everything. I injured myself a few months ago and have been taking it easy for the past 2 months and have still lost around 8" and 7lbs, so even not going as hard as I was is still making progress.
    I hope that helps a bit!
  • Wow Nebb!  That's so great for you! 

I'm trying so hard to just get down 10 pounds, rather than telling myself I want to lose 30 pounds.  I notice that numbers frustrate me.  So I am trying to start off with an easy number, like five or ten pounds, and I'll take it from there.
    Good for you though...hard work pays off. 
  • Thanks :) I work with little goals to make it easier to get to the bigger goal, my BIG goal is around 60+lbs, so I would go nuts with that looming over my head all the time.
  • My best weight loss advice is to focus on being heathly as opposed to fixating trying to shrink a number on the scale.   Try to eat healthy foods, minimize bad ones, and get as much movement as possible.  Even little amounts like doing the stairs instead of the elevator adds up and feels great.  Do an extra lap around the block when walking the dog.  The better you feel, the more you will naturally just WANT to engage in healthy habits.   It's much easier - not to mention better for the soul - to focus on what you want to be (healthy), than what you don't want to be (overweight).   As you adopt a healthier and healthier lifestyle, the weight will natually follow. 

Signed,

Not Nebb but wanted to help too.

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Adding to what east said, thats kind of how I started. I was trying to do the 100 mile challenge in the spring and it made me cut out a lot of preservatives and bad foods from my diet, which helped a lot. Even just being aware of whats on the nutritional label so you can compare foods to get whatever is better is a good step.
  • Nebb and East and JK are wise.

Especially ditto setting controllable goals.  I can't promise that I'll lose two pounds a week because the scale often doesn't make sense for stupid reasons, but I know for sure I'm going to be able to run my half marathon in April because I'm going to put the work in.  Pick something that YOU'RE in charge of and can do great at and the rest usually follows.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Nebb, that's awesome.  I've put on about 10 pounds (ok, ok, 15 - maybe) since FI moved in and I started cooking dinner daily.  I need to get rid of some of it, so I'm trying to manage what I eat a little better & see if that will help.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I gained most of my weight when I moved in with my husband too. When I was living on my own I was quite thin (mainly because i was poor and rarely ate!!). I actually dont mind the meals I make now at all that ive been "dieting" (i dont like to call it a diet), which I didnt expect. I load up more on veggies than anything else and rarely eat carbs with dinner. Fewer saucy or creamy stuff as well has helped (though I do miss having pasta all the time).
  • i also packed it on when i met my husband.

i find that it REALLY helps if you find something active that you love.
    i recently found swimming.. and am up to 4 days a week at an hour at a time and sometimes more because i truly LOVE being in the water.

• Nebb, FI is a SUPER picky eater, so that contributes.  Pasta is one of the few things he will eat.  And he wants bread with EVERY meal.  I have taken to just not eating if I'm not hungry, even if I cook for him. 

Oh, and if I didn't hate drinking water plain, that might help.  I drink a lot of calories because I enjoy flavor.  :( 

DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • thanks guys! that does help :) I've heard of sparkpeople, and I think I'm gonna try it.
    easty, I miss you too!
    vally, dixie is doing well. she's stumbly and stuff, but she's happy and active. thanks for asking :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards