South Asian Weddings

When to change?

As of this weekend I have an issue. The plan was to always were my nice, pretty white wedding dress for the ceremony and half the reception. Mostly, for cake cutting, first dance and things like that. Then, we would change and I would change into the traditional sari for all the tradition stuff.. Duh! Well FFIL stopped this. He wants the traditional stuff done the day after at his house like you would do in India! Which means me waking up and putting the sari back on, getting my parents (and family) and going over there. When I first planned this I didn't think it would be a big deal cause most people do it the first way and his parents are super traditional normally. My cousin's bought me some gold for the wedding which is suppose to be worn for the wedding. I would hate to not wear the sari (since it cost more then my dress) and have all that money be for nothing.

So there are the choices with background info.
~I can change half way through the reception for no reason and just do it.
~Change for the reception and people that want to see my dress will just see it at the ceremony.
~Not wear it at all and wear it for the few people who come to the house.

What would you do?

Re: When to change?

• edited December 2011
    I think you should wear the sari for the reception when you make your grand entrance w. hubby.. juuuust my opinion
  • edited December 2011
    I take that back. after thinking about it, you can wear the White dress for the grand entrance, the first dance, and the cake cutting. and right after, change really quick and do the rest of the stuff in the sari. such as, garter toss, bouquet toss, dances, toasts, etc! what do you think? i think BRILLIIAAANNNNTTT!
  • edited December 2011
    What Steph said.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I think you can stick to your original plan and accommodate your FFIL.  Change into the sari at whatever point in the reception you want.  Also wear the sari the next day at your ILs'.

Also, just curious, are your parents fine with doing the stuff at your IILs'?  I was just thinking that since they are probably contributing financially and inviting people, they may want something traditional done that day in front of their friends and extended family.  That's also something that can probably be negotiated.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:ed6822ee-65ba-45df-9d43-9f742f99c5bePost:97760cb4-3975-45dd-838a-b5dea075c39c">Re: When to change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I take that back. after thinking about it, you can wear the White dress for the grand entrance, the first dance, and the cake cutting. and right after, change really quick and do the rest of the stuff in the sari. such as, garter toss, bouquet toss, dances, toasts, etc! what do you think? i think BRILLIIAAANNNNTTT!
    Posted by trueleo818[/QUOTE]

This?
    ExerciseMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:430Discussion:ed6822ee-65ba-45df-9d43-9f742f99c5bePost:431d88d1-1d0e-4c91-8d52-17c17cb187e3">Re: When to change?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you can stick to your original plan and accommodate your FFIL.  Change into the sari at whatever point in the reception you want.  Also wear the sari the next day at your ILs'. Also, just curious, are your parents fine with doing the stuff at your IILs'?  <strong>I was just thinking that since they are probably contributing financially and inviting people, they may want something traditional done that day in front of their friends and extended family.  That's also something that can probably be negotiated.
    </strong>Posted by temurlang[/QUOTE]

Honestly, they don't have a say in it. This is done by the guy's family so they make the rules. I know seems crazy, but it's old tradition and we do things by old tradition.
    Just to give an example: My cousin's wedding her sister was helping adjust her veil and dress well after the vows were said her sister wasn't allowed to touch her anymore and only the grooms family could touch her. See we are super traditional and old fashioned.
  • edited December 2011
    I would wear the sari for the entirety of the reception.  I never got the brides that change outfits in the middle of the reception.  Seems excessive and odd.  Maybe that's just me.  I understand you originally wanted to change to do some traditional ceremony (though I am not familiar with what that tradition -- sounds fun though). 

I personally would hate to have my party interrupted by having to go change.  I'd rather not think about changing outfits mid-reception.  As it is, we have to spend SO much time meeting and greeting and cake cutting and god knows what else.  I hope to squeeze in a little bit of sheer fun at the reception.

Will you have a significant number of people coming to the ceremony?  Maybe you will be satisfied that enough people have seen your white dress?

Basically, do what makes your heart happy.  Don't worry if certain folks don't see your white dress.  Wear and do what's easiest/most fun for you -- that's what I would do.
  • edited December 2011
    Especially in a blended wedding, it's fantastic to be able to change you attire throughout the night.  Don't worry about what others think, do what you feel is best.

My suggestion as a planner on the time to change would depend on your timeline for the evening.  If you really want guests to see your white gown up close, you want to wear if for the first half of the reception.  But keep in mind, durning that time, most people are eating and really not paying attention.  It's not until much later in the evening when the party really gets going that guests will get close enough to really see your dress.

Depending on how you break down the night and the events, I would suggest doing the cake cutting and sitting through toasts in your gown.  Break up your dances so that your first dance kicks off the dancing for the evening, that way before the first dance, you can change into your sari.  You could also think about doing the daddy daughter dance in your wedding gown and the first dance with your husband in the sari, or vice versa.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you've coordinated your thoughts with your planner.  That way she can help you stay on track for the night, get things ready for you and help the whole process move smoothly, so you don't miss the party!

Good Luck

Lia
    Full Circle Eventi
    info@fullcircleeventi.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards