Florida-West Coast
Options

Cake! is great cake possible on a budget?

Anyone know of an inexpensive but good cake shop in Tampa? Maybe a shop that's just starting out? My wedding will be around 50 people, and so far I've been getting  quotes of  275 -  500 dollars. To me that sounds like an awful lot for a cake that feeds 50 people. This is -without- talking design yet... these are the BASE prices I've been quoted. One place told me 3 dollars a person, and then later told me another 50 dollars for delivery and another 50 dollars for set up and ANOTHER 50 dollars for some other service fee. What the hell???  Ideally I would like to keep my cake around 150.00  -total- Does that sound unrealistic?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake! is great cake possible on a budget?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    http://www.chefnelson.com/

Scroll all the way to the bottom and look on the left for a coupon!!! He is tasty and has been around for awhile. $60 delivery to my venue in St Pete, tax and no set up. I'd bet he'd work with your budget because I agree: 50 people is not a lot and should not cost $200.:)

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My MIL took care of the cake and I didn't know anything about it until it arrived. It was from WalMart of all places. Take a look at my blog, I posted it today.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    50 people for $200 actually sounds about right to me. You definitely can do this though. Are you getting a caterer? See if they have any connections. You can also transport your own cake but you must be VERRRRY careful.. Try publix as well but not necessarily their wedding cakes. My dad got a cake for my engagement party that was all white with white dots and had vanilla cake with raspberry filling. It probably fed over 50 people since we had a ton left over.. and I imagine it wasn't that expensive because I cant imagine him paying more than like $60 bucks for a cake really... it was beautiful too. simple and elegant but went perfect with our outdoor party.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mitchsbridemitchsbride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get a "fake cake" made for the cutting and then have a sheet cake in the kitchen to cut.  No one will know the difference.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    or you could bake cupcakes yourself and have a small wedding cake make for you guys to cut. i love cupcake wedding cakes ;]

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I was quoted $6 per person plus delivery too. I found a baker who makes amazing cakes, but as of yet hasn't done a wedding cake so she's willing to work for a reasonable rate. I used the same trick when finding a photographer, She has done tons of protraits, but no weddings yet so she's reasonable and eager to please.

image 110 Invited
    image 76 Are Ready to Party! image 34 Are Missing Out image0 Need to Respond
    RSVP Date: February 21

March 2012 Siggy Challenge: Rings image
    Mine imageHis My Wedding Blog(Updated Daily) Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    whoa $6pp is pretty up there. I was quoted like $3.75 pp for a fondant cake.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im just starting out with my planning and have run into the same situation. I have even had one place say they charge for a consultation just to sit down and taste test (is that normal?).

Anyways, a friend of mine got married this past March and she contacted a wedding coordinator. She did amazing at my friends wedding, so I contacted her to get some help. She has been over several ideas with me about cakes and even cupcakes.

She may be able to send you in the right location. I contacted her through www.PremierButterflyEvents.com. She is here in Tampa so she has local connections.

Hope this helps. :)

Question for other brides-to-be... have you ever been charged for taste testing?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Never been charged for a tasting. Most just require that you have a set date and venue when you come so that not just any schmo off the street who wants free cake can come in like a poser.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    JBC123JBC123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the "Brides on a Budget" line from A Slice of Heaven in Sarasota.  It's $3.50 per person and the cakes are AMAZING!
  • Options
    TracyJ_2011TracyJ_2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, I'm pretty lucky in that my parents are paying for the wedding and have been pretty generous. That being said, we're going to Publix for our cake. It's amazing! And a good price.  Something to think about.  Don't know how it compares to the others above though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards